IGNORED

Using a mouse on the TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

I like this joystick alot... Maybe you could add the trackball to this box and have an A/B switch to go from stick to ball?

Thanks Owen! :) That joystick will NEVER be hacked into. IMHO it's perfection!

As far as I know, it just pulses the joystick lines - it certainly works with any joystick software just fine. I never took mine apart back in the day. ;)

A touchpad may not work the same way - I think they are positional point rather than relative movement devices - but a mouse would in theory be possible.

Hey, that works for me too! I found one that matches the TI just great! I'm also willing to bet that a circuit board with required plugs could be made far cheaper than one of those Wico's go for, and that's figuring in profit for whoever builds it! :-D+1

2209.jpg

This looks like a real money making opportunity for someone. There are all kinds of classic computers out there besides TI's that could benefit from a PS/2 mouse adapter. It would require just a jumper or two on the unit to make it compatible with the pinouts of the different systems. In essence it would work with everything without the need of a separate joystick adapter.

Hell, I bet people from all the sections of Atari Age would be signing up to buy one!

After you get rich, please don't forget who gave you the idea! ;)

btw i got around to testing the atari->ps2 microsys v4 on my amiga and it works great with my wireless mouse i had sittting around.. looking for a touchpad to test next..

I believe I'll need to make a +5v mod for my TI joystick adapter to use it there.. that's next

Greg

• Like 1

I'll need to make a +5v mod for my TI joystick adapter to use it there.. that's next

Sweeeeeeeet! I'm interested to see how it works out. If successful, the beauty of this method is that it'll maintain compatibility with 100% of pre-existing software. New programs, specifically designed for mouse use in the future, will only need to implement existing joystick routines. Win-Win!

I'd love to see a photo when working.

I was thinking it'd be nice to make a little 3D printed adapter that plugs into the video port on the back and the Joystick port on the side (sort of snapping in place) and then gives you two Atari style, 5v powered ports. THAT is something I'd like to have. ;)

Could do something like the ICONtroller for the C64/128.

post-27864-0-01867700-1432099126_thumb.jpg

Instead of sticking to the top of the keyboard as on the Commies, stick to the under-side with the main part connected to the TI joystick port. A flat cable could run up the under-side to the video port for power. A voltage divider or small regulator (10s of mA output) could be used internally to bring the 12V down to 5V. Instead of a joystick (or perhaps in addition to one,) there could be two powered Atari-compatible ports on the side.

In lieu of the video port connector, the side module could also be configured to take power from pins 1 and 6 per Thierry's powered modification.

That looks pretty good, too, so yeah, something like that. I had in my mind a large rigid device with a 90 degree bend so that it would basically snap onto the side of the console and stay in place, but a cable would work too. :) (It would pass through the video port, of course).

• Like 1

I like your concept Tursi! From aesthetics, ease of use and installation that could NOT be beat. Even with your modification, if the thing is not too tall, it should clear the connector of one of your gadgets. :)

sml_gallery_35324_1358_21668.jpg

Seriously though, I'd be happy with just a bare unit that had minimal three connectors built onto the board for power, mouse and TI. I could then build my own box.

That looks pretty good, too, so yeah, something like that. I had in my mind a large rigid device with a 90 degree bend so that it would basically snap onto the side of the console and stay in place, but a cable would work too. :) (It would pass through the video port, of course).

I was thinking of rebrewing my wico ti joystick adapter to include a 5v power supply

Greg

• Like 1

As you all know, I've been thinking about all the current programs that could benefit from using mouse input that an adapter similar to the Wico Trackball would afford. I was even thinking about some future programs that would just blow us all away, one example would be using Stuart's TI Web browser!

I used to use the Wico trackball for both gaming and TI Artist - I was surprised how well it worked even if the software was just written for joystick. :) Definitely the one piece of hardware I wish I'd kept.

Sounds like a great testimonial to me. So many of are used to using a mouse, this I believe could be the 'next big thing'.

I just picked one up for about half of what they normally sell on eBay. Now working on the game routines.

Hmmm looks like.. future goodies are afoot! :-D

As far as I know, it just pulses the joystick lines - it certainly works with any joystick software just fine...

The Wico is proof of concept, modifying and updating the concept as an inline device between a PS/2 mouse and the TI seems doable.

player-pause.png

Before I get too excited, I think I'll PAUSE for a moment, work up yet another poll, to see how many of you might be interested.

The Mechatronics mouse also worked via the joystick port. From my comments of mecmouse.c in MESS:

The Mechatronic mouse is connected to the joystick port and occupies both joystick select lines and the switch lines. From these five
lines, left/right/down are used for the motion (i.e. 3 motion steps for positive and four for negative motion and one for rest),
the fire line is used for the secondary mouse button, and the up line is used for the primary button. The mouse motion is delivered by the same lines for both directions; this requires swapping the axes. According to the source code of the accompanying mouse driver, the readout of the current axis is done by selecting joystick 1, then joystick 2. The axis swapping is achieved by selecting stick 1 again. When selecting stick 2, the second axis is seen on the input lines.
Interrupting this sequence will lead to swapped axes. This is prevented by resetting the toggle when the mouse is deselected (neither 1 nor 2 are selected).
... As we can only deliver at max 3 steps positive and 4 steps negative, we split the delta so that subsequent queries add up to the actual delta. That is, one delta of +10 yields a 3+3+3+1.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

That might actually be a pretty easy little circuit board, if you just wanted to go universal track ball mode--one end with a connector to the TI, a proper diode switching network for a set of Atari-style joysticks, and a 5V connector to the board that only feeds the Atari trackball circuitry its operating voltage. . .using the WICO board as a jumping-off point isn't a bad idea either, as then any of the powered Atari-style things for the joystick port could be adapted--like Koala Pads.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

That might actually be a pretty easy little circuit board, if you just wanted to go universal track ball mode--one end with a connector to the TI, a proper diode switching network for a set of Atari-style joysticks, and a 5V connector to the board that only feeds the Atari trackball circuitry its operating voltage. . .using the WICO board as a jumping-off point isn't a bad idea either, as then any of the powered Atari-style things for the joystick port could be adapted--like Koala Pads.

Please do! :) I could use a few more adapters i keep having to move the wico one around to my 3 set ups.. pin 7 is +5vdc

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

I have a question concerning the Wico Trackballs. Every photo I see of them shows a YELLOW looking ball. Have these just aged over time or were they always yellow? If they were originally white, how would you go about restoring the ball to it's original luster?

Replace it with a cue ball.

I have a question concerning the Wico Trackballs. Every photo I see of them shows a YELLOW looking ball. Have these just aged over time or were they always yellow? If they were originally white, how would you go about restoring the ball to it's original luster?

the picture of the original box have seems to have a not so yellow ball :)

post-24673-0-85789500-1434198015_thumb.jpg

Retrobrite? Seems to work for old super nintendos.

Well I'll be! Standard regulation sized?

I found one << HERE >> with shipping for just under $5.00, but it looks a little 'cream colored'.

I found another one that looks white << HERE >> for just $6.45

I'm also considering looking for some silver plastic paint to cover the bottom RED portion as that looks real cheap to me.

This will have to suffice unless someone makes a PS/2 mouse adapter.