IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

^ Very cool to hear. I wrote this in another thread, but it might be more appropriate here. There are many great sound engineers, music producers and audiophiles here. Tep is it possible to patch the Ninja Golf game with music or make an XM version using Pokey, Hokey, Gumby or the Yamaha chip? I think XM only has 2 advantages over Harmony7800/CC so and that is Yamaha chip and 128k memory yes which I could play Zippy on 2600 mode of 7800? What exactly are XM games like Donkey Kong XM, just minor graphic and Pokey audio enhancement kind of super carts? What if I plug Ballblazer or Commando in XM, will it dectect another carts Pokey or disable XM Pokey for cart Pokey?

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. How many revisions of the 7800 are there? I have the USA 1984 model with expansion slot for the unreleased laserdisc add on. I hope it's compatible. Feel bad if somebody pre-ordered this and has a 7800 not compatible with XM.

Laserdisc add-on? That is a new one to me. I have heard rumors of a keyboard component, but never anything about a laserdisc peripheral. Do you have any links/documentation to support that, or is it just something you remember...or possibly, "misremember" after many long years?

(cue the Brian Williams memes :D)

Thanks for the links! I never heard of that before, but it certainly adds an interesting footnote to the legend and lore of the 7800. Very interesting!

There was a short period of time where a Laserdisc or CED add-on was considered a viable thing. However once Laserdisc games proved to be a fluke rather than a new trend they all disappeared pretty fast. I think the MSX was the only system to actually have a Laserdisc add-on released (unless you count the Laseractive which is more of a Laserdisc player with a console add-on).

• Like 1

Have 2 7800's. Hopefully my video modded one will be compatible if there's a compatibility issue. If the one not modded is compatible, then that gives me an excuse to modd it;) Excited to hear that things are moving forward & hopefully soon I will hear the glorious audio from Donkey Kong XM.

We would look upon the 1984 Atari 7800 and it's laserdisc digital add on and keyboard as ahead of it's it's time like people as old or younger than us look upon the dreamcast as such. Being able to play BallBlazer or Dragon Liar LD on the 1984 Atari7800 even if it died the same year yet now a days people would say "damn that was so ahead of it's time". If it died in 1984 so what, the proposed Atari NES could have changed the world too. "What if's" huh.

Edited by ataritiger
  • Like 1

Is there one for "loose" and "lose" - damn that drives me crazy!

Yep:

loseloose.com

But that page uses centered text, so you might prefer one of these:

public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/lose.html

wikihow.com/Know-the-Difference-Between-Lose-and-Loose

grammarist.com/usage/loose-lose

Not sure what else they would release on a LaserDisk... They probably shit-canned the idea because they didn't want to be bothered coming up with some really cool games that would take advantage of the huge data storage for the time.

Sorry English is not my main language. I will do my best to type English properly for now on here. When I moonshine up though, typos will occur ha. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234803-atarians-5-qs-from-tigerv2600-to-7800xm-to-concerto-cart-more/?p=3173689

Edited by ataritiger
  • Like 2

I'm glad you guys are helping me though, no worries. I know the two, to, and too (also) and loose and lose, but some things still confuse me like Sega Genesis' or Genesi, the plural I'm not sure how to say I have two genesis' or center is correct for USA but not centre or color but not colour. There place, the're they are, their (persons 7800) etc. Dragons Liar was 100% moonshine typo though ha. Also, although technicalyl in binary code and on a disc......I think the video and analog of early Laserdiscs were analog so my statement could be wrong. Unless laserdiscs had digital audio later on and that device would be used for 7800, then I'd be right.

Edited by ataritiger