IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Wait, these have actually started shipping?!

Also, Satan announces he's slightly chilled.

Seriously, though, look forward to seeing AA user reviews of this long, long overdue puppy.

I like this post. It appears to me to read something like this:

"The Atari 7800 XM will be released when hell freezes over"...rofl

He's cold down there, it is almost released! :P hehe I will buy it in a heartbeat also!

Edited by kaz321123

I place my order on 03/18/13 and I have a PM from curt saying:

"You're all set, I'll be posting updates soon on the project and you'll get an idea of when they start going out."

That's all I have!!

Does it say in the email that you must retain email to get your purchase?

Robert

Soon you'll all be able to play Donkey Kong with slightly better sound and a Wonder Boy clone (may as well call it Wonder Bear)! :P

JUST KIDDING! I know there are THREE titles for it..

If I could get one I would, but I just spent my allowance on something else..

Will there be a dev kit for it for homebrewers? I think it's pretty sad that it's been half a decade, a heart attack or two, a dropped bios engineer (that just picked up the slack) and FINALLY it's MAYBE rolling out for you all!?!?!

I want one! I've been watching those YouTube videos of DKXM for MONTHS!!

Wait, these have actually started shipping?!

No. At least one the current (final) rev hardware units is in the hands of a friend of Curt's who owns all hardware variations of 7800 for compatibility testing, after which units should go out to fill the early orders. I THINK I read on one of the Atari Facebook groups that Curt says that should happen in the May/June timeframe, with general availability ($149) after that around mid-summer.

Soon you'll all be able to play Donkey Kong with slightly better sound and a Wonder Boy clone (may as well call it Wonder Bear)! :P

JUST KIDDING! I know there are THREE titles for it..

If I could get one I would, but I just spent my allowance on something else..

Will there be a dev kit for it for homebrewers? I think it's pretty sad that it's been half a decade, a heart attack or two, a dropped bios engineer (that just picked up the slack) and FINALLY it's MAYBE rolling out for you all!?!?!

I want one! I've been watching those YouTube videos of DKXM for MONTHS!!

Lets keep it positive.

Wonder boy clone?? Oh thats adventure island for nes.

• Like 2

in the hands of a friend of Curt's who owns all hardware variations of 7800 for compatibility testing

I am interested in knowing who this is? If the person does not want to be identified in public, that is fine with me, send me a PM with contact info. I would love to have access to someone who has ALL of them. I had designed a cart that could be mapped into almost the entire address space of the 7800, but it only works in one out of 5, I own. I do not have the shell to this system, as this was sent to me as a "problem child" running my 48K board, so I would love to know which model it matches. After messing with it for so long, I am pretty sure the software was to blame, not my board, this 7800 mother board is in my opinion superior. But maybe you see what I am getting at. ;)

I am interested in knowing who this is? If the person does not want to be identified in public, that is fine with me, send me a PM with contact info. I would love to have access to someone who has ALL of them. I had designed a cart that could be mapped into almost the entire address space of the 7800, but it only works in one out of 5, I own. I do not have the shell to this system, as this was sent to me as a "problem child" running my 48K board, so I would love to know which model it matches. After messing with it for so long, I am pretty sure the software was to blame, not my board, this 7800 mother board is in my opinion superior. But maybe you see what I am getting at. ;)

It's Mitch.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227889-7800-xm-update/?view=findpost&p=3065104

Donkey Kong XM is NOT 7800 Donkey Kong with better sound. It is estimated to be about 10% similar.

Everything has been redone. Levels added. Intermissions added. Game logic as pixel accurate as the arcade game diwn to translating arcade rom tables to the 7800 size/space.

Beef Drop VE (Burgertime) should switch from TIA sound to POKEY in the XM.

Circus AtariAge was programmed with POKEY sound.

Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest was programmed with POKEY sound.

Froggie should switch to POKEY sound.

I'm sure there are other homebrews like the pac-man with POKEY sound, but I'm not sure if they will use the XM POKEY. I don't see why rhey wouldn't, but new releases should be simple.

The High Score save feature would be enough for me to buy one, but there is so much more with the 2 sound chips and extra memory that will make for some great classic gaming!

• Like 3

So if a person buys the new pmc cart it would have the xm pokey sound code built in?

I'm not sure what it will be called. Maybe PMC XM, but that's how it would work. Play with POKEY in the XM or go back to TIA sound if the XM isn't present.

Donkey Kong XM is NOT 7800 Donkey Kong with better sound. It is estimated to be about 10% similar.

Everything has been redone. Levels added. Intermissions added. Game logic as pixel accurate as the arcade game diwn to translating arcade rom tables to the 7800 size/space.

Beef Drop VE (Burgertime) should switch from TIA sound to POKEY in the XM.

Circus AtariAge was programmed with POKEY sound.

Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest was programmed with POKEY sound.

Froggie should switch to POKEY sound.

I'm sure there are other homebrews like the pac-man with POKEY sound, but I'm not sure if they will use the XM POKEY. I don't see why rhey wouldn't, but new releases should be simple.

The High Score save feature would be enough for me to buy one, but there is so much more with the 2 sound chips and extra memory that will make for some great classic gaming!

Hi. The Beef Drop VE you mentioned is the AA release, correct? I bought this game in summer 2014 but the copyright date is 2006.

Also does the AA Pacman Collection support Pokey? If not, how can I get it upgraded?

What other AA 7800 homebrew support XM enhancements? Anything to sweeten the pot a little will help.

There is currently an HDMI FPGA NES (AVS) in development by Brian Parker from RetroUSB, as well as an addon board by Kevtris. $150 is a lot of money, and since the NES is my first love, it will be getting my money first. Hopefully the XM will hang around for a bit...

Yep. The AtariAge Beef Drop VE will use POKEY sound if in the XM. Way ahead of its time.

I think tep392 means you will have to get a new PMC version because he added POKEY to it later?

These are the only ones I know, because I tried them on CPUWIZ's POKEY Dev Cart and the POKEY plays if it is detected.

Yep. The AtariAge Beef Drop VE will use POKEY sound if in the XM. Way ahead of its time.

I think tep392 means you will have to get a new PMC version because he added POKEY to it later?

These are the only ones I know, because I tried them on CPUWIZ's POKEY Dev Cart and the POKEY plays if it is detected.

I bought my Pacman collection from AtariAge in fall 2014. I also have the PMP Multicart.

An XM version of Pac-man collection has never been sold in the store. If you bought it in the store, it is TIA only. There would not be any way to upgrade an existing cart. They are not re-programmable and the dual POKEY/TIA game requires a larger ROM.

So Beef Drop is the only AA Store homebrew with XM / Pokey support, right? Which games support high score function?

I don't know which games support HSC, but I know a lot of Pacmanplus's games do. There might even be a list if you search the forum a bit.

I just want to point out something about Beefdrop VE. It was programmed before the XM development ever started. It was intended to support the XBOARD POKEY. The XM developers decided to map the POKEY to the same memory location as the XBOARD, so that is why Beefdrop VE supports the XM POKEY.