IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Just like the Hokey won't work as a drop in replacement in a 5200, right?

The HOKEY only emulates POKEY audio accurately. It's meant to be used in 7800 cartridges so people stop cannibalizing the last remaining POKEYs which can be used for A8s and 5200s for spare parts. It doesn't do the other POKEY tasks.

The HOKEY only emulates POKEY audio accurately. It's meant to be used in 7800 cartridges so people stop cannibalizing the last remaining POKEYs which can be used for A8s and 5200s for spare parts. It doesn't do the other POKEY tasks.

I know that already. Somebody asked if the PIA chips would work; I used Hokey as a counterexample.

• 1 month later...

I wish I could see the units on display at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. The post on www.atarimuseum.com showed some units in the hands of developers.

"Posted Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:37 PM

This year's Portland Retro Gaming Expo takes place October 17th and 18th at the Oregon Convention Center. The Portland Retro Gaming Expo (PRGE) is one of the largest classic gaming events in the country, and here are some of the highlights you can expect from this year's show: ...

...We'll have limited quantities of games at the show, so be sure to come by our booth on Saturday to make sure you get the games you want! We'll also be demoing a 7800 Expansion Module (XM) unit with several XM-ready games for you to try out! ..."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242779-portland-retro-gaming-expo-october-17th-and-18th/

• Like 2

From the "Atari 7800 eXpansion Module" Facebook group by Curt Vendel:

"Two XM modules have arrived at Albert of Atariage's home for the upcoming show.

I'd also like to welcome Perry Thuente to the XM Team, he will be assisting with the completion of the XM BIOS. I am extremely happy to have such an amazingly talented coder such as him join the team and volunteer his skills in making the XM the best product possible."

• Like 10

For those interested, Al posted pictures of the two units he received to utilize at the show:

Future question that will be posted somewhere:

"Why is the one in front so much bigger than the other one?!!!!"

youtube.com/watch?v=QJoTBlDfVhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoTBlDfVhk

• Like 2