IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Yeah the people most critcal of the project have not invested in it. Makes lots of sense.

Now I am off to go join a forum and ask why my tesla model 3 is not in my driveway.

I would assume that's because the people who didn't invest in it up front already knew how to temper their expectations, given the past issues with large scale homebrew projects of this type, and a specifically spotty history with some of the people involved in the XM project.

Also - those who have invested in it are holding out hope they didn't lose their money on a bad gamble.

reality of hindsight vs. rose-tinted glasses.

I would assume that's because the people who didn't invest in it up front already knew how to temper their expectations, given the past issues with large scale homebrew projects of this type, and a specifically spotty history with some of the people involved in the XM project.

Also - those who have invested in it are holding out hope they didn't lose their money on a bad gamble.

reality of hindsight vs. rose-tinted glasses.

Sure.

Yeah the people most critcal of the project have not invested in it. Makes lots of sense.

Now I am off to go join a forum and ask why my tesla model 3 is not in my driveway.

While there's always still hope, I believe the people who pre-ordered one long ago convinced themselves it would come to fruition if they simply waited long enough. Those people are still waiting.

The other camp who did not preorder for any reason (ie those who either didn't wholly trust the project, decided to wait for official release to buy one, or atm didn't even know it existed) are critical of it specifically because they haven't spent the past five years attempting to justify their investment by convincing themselves otherwise.

I'm not stating the XM will never come out, and in fact I generally consider myself an optimist. But whatever preorder monies were taken on this project has long since been spent most likely, and if it does get delivered, Curt or someone else currently in charge of development and distribution will have to foot the bill and get them assembled and shipped off to customers who preordered, basically without any additional payment, just to fulfill their promise and stay true to their word.

Otherwise, the XM gets made and goes on sale,and everyone interested has to re-buy whether they preordered or not. I have no idea if Curt has the financial resources or desire to ship XM units to backers if and when they are ready.

Curt still owes me nearly $10 (including s/h) for a replacement 7800 cartridge boot I ordered on his website last year, which I never recieved, and he owes numerous other people USB joysticks that never got delivered either. So it is doubtful I will order anything else from him in the future, even if the XM goes into production.

Curt, if you chance to read this, feel free to PM me so you can either fulfill or refund me for the cart boot I never received.

That really makes no sense. If those people had that foresight they should be happy to have been proven right. There's no reason for them to continue carping on the same points when they have nothing at stake.

Yeah, I'm on pins and needles waiting to see if my $100 "wager" from five and half years ago pays off.

I hope this project comes to fruition because it'd be a great triumph for the new guys on the team and a nice finale to this ridiculous saga. It would also make for a great addition to my collection of Atari oddities, complete with a funny story of its long development.

But in terms of using it for gameplay? At least for me, the sun has already set. The Concerto or a similar product will probably be released before any version of the XM ships and that will have the features that most of us were looking for from the XM. Financial obligations excepted, the XM is pretty moot at this point.

So why do I still regularly check in on this forum? Good question. I really have no idea.

• Like 3

That really makes no sense. If those people had that foresight they should be happy to have been proven right. There's no reason for them to continue carping on the same points when they have nothing at stake.

Well, not everyone is just trying to be "proven right". Nothing is even really proven yet, because the XM is nether released, nor officially cancelled. This is why there is still discussion on it, exactly because it is still unresolved.

But I would hazard a guess that rather than just seeking to be proven right, some here who are "negative" about the XM seek to inform the new users who occasionally turn up here completely clueless about the history of the XM, with the accurate truth about the project, it's history, and realistic expectations for the future.

God forbid anyone tell people the truth about this project's history, or the reliability of certain involved parties.

I mean, isn't that why things like the feedback system on eBay, or the seller/buyer user reputation thread in the Marketplace here at AA, or things like critic reviews of films, restaurants, etc even exist? To inform people and adjust their expectations... This truth/fact stuff is actually kind of important to most people.

Well, not everyone is just trying to be "proven right". Nothing is even really proven yet, because the XM is nether released, nor officially cancelled. This is why there is still discussion on it, exactly because it is still unresolved.

But I would hazard a guess that rather than just seeking to be proven right, some here who are "negative" about the XM seek to inform the new users who occasionally turn up here completely clueless about the history of the XM, with the accurate truth about the project, it's history, and realistic expectations for the future.

God forbid anyone tell people the truth about this project's history, or the reliability of certain involved parties.

I mean, isn't that why things like the feedback system on eBay, or the seller/buyer user reputation thread in the Marketplace here at AA, or things like critic reviews of films, restaurants, etc even exist? To inform people and adjust their expectations... This truth/fact stuff is actually kind of important to most people.

And then we have posts like the following which make me think some of the most vocal are more personally motivated than well intentioned.

In other news, Mike Kennedy has been spotted in a back alley taking preorder moneys for the Chameleon XM! :rolling:

Curt still owes me nearly $10 (including s/h) for a replacement 7800 cartridge boot I ordered on his website last year, which I never recieved, and he owes numerous other people USB joysticks that never got delivered either. So it is doubtful I will order anything else from him in the future, even if the XM goes into production.

Curt, if you chance to read this, feel free to PM me so you can either fulfill or refund me for the cart boot I never received.

edit: I'm not trying to single out Kosmic Stardust. I'm just showing an example of why I think some of the negativity shown here is more than just trying to alert people to the history of this project. We all have our own personal biases.
  • Like 1

But in terms of using it for gameplay? At least for me, the sun has already set. The Concerto or a similar product will probably be released before any version of the XM ships and that will have the features that most of us were looking for from the XM. Financial obligations excepted, the XM is pretty moot at this point.

Bingo.

So why do I still regularly check in on this forum? Good question. I really have no idea.

People love drama. Why else are there 450+ pages of posts across two threads regarding the Chameleon saga? :P

And then we have posts like the following which make me think some of the most vocal are more personally motivated than well intentioned.

In other news, Mike Kennedy has been spotted in a back alley taking preorder moneys for the Chameleon XM! :rolling:

Nice to know you had to dig up posts nearly a month old, and made in jest, from another thread. My other statement from earlier today is fact. I ordered a product from a website that was partially broken and did not receive it. I PM'ed Curt through AtariAge and my PM was never even read much less replied to.

You are a good guy for your dedication for finishing this project Tep392, regardless of what anybody says... ;-)

• Like 1

We're five and half years past the original ship date. The XM could be released tomorrow and the doubters would still have been right in my book. And again, that's nothing against the new members of the team.

As for informing new users, I get what you're saying, but I don't know if that's necessary. I don't think Curt is taking XM pre-orders anymore. Isn't his whole store front empty? Regardless, the slightest bit of research would reveal the whole story.

• Like 1

edit: I'm not trying to single out Kosmic Stardust. I'm just showing an example of why I think some of the negativity shown here is more than just trying to alert people to the history of this project. We all have our own personal biases.

Well, but while those motivations may indeed be personal, they are also legitimate, valid concerns for anyone who has already or plans to invest in this project. (by plans, I mean these people who are buying up other people's reservations)

It's awesome that you're working on this now, and hopefully you can get this sorted and help get the project back on track. That doesn't erase what has come before you though. Even you expressed your frustration with NotVeryGrooveyBee.

It seems like every month or two, some newly registered AA user shows up here asking in earnest about the XM and when it will be released and how they can get one. and the same thing happens every time - someone makes a joke about it never happening, given that this project is nearly 7 years late on it's original delivery promise, and a bunch of supporters come out and shout everyone down and arguments ensue.

• Like 2

Can we have an XM thread that is for discussing trying to get the XM out ONLY. We all know the situation with the XM? We don't need to keep flogging the dead horse. Maybe a new thread that only Tep392 can post to and if somebody has something important to add, they can send a PM to him and he can post it here.

And yes I ordered one as well.

Allan

• Like 6

Can we have an XM thread that is for discussing trying to get the XM out ONLY. We all know the situation with the XM? We don't need to keep flogging the dead horse. Maybe a new thread that only Tep392 can post to and if somebody has something important to add, they can send a PM to him and he can post it here.

And yes I ordered one as well.

Allan

You can start a million new threads about this subject. It will always turn out the same regardless. Basically, there's no point in starting yet another new thread about it.

• Like 2

If someone ever starts a new thread, it should have a poll. The categories could be things like Where can I get one, Is it ready yet, Any new updates, Give the new team a chance, Hope Curt is ok, etc etc. Then, people could just vote accordingly and leave posts for relevant updates.

• Like 1

People are posting in this thread about things related to this project other than strictly XM updates because every other thread that would get started would be closed by the mods and people would be directed here.

One of the things that makes me laugh about this place is the over-policing by the mods and the userbase. If someone starts a new thread about something that already has other previously started threads, they get scolded for it, their thread gets closed, and they are directed to post in the old thread. But if someone Necrobumps a really old thread about a subject they have a question on, they get mocked for necrobumping by the users here.

And if they start a new thread asking about a problematic subject like the XM, everyone gets on their case, threads get locked, they are directed to this thread, and then told not to ask or talk about it.

Regular "Friendly Town" in here, you guys.

• Like 5

People are posting in this thread about things related to this project other than strictly XM updates because every other thread that would get started would be closed by the mods and people would be directed here.

One of the things that makes me laugh about this place is the over-policing by the mods and the userbase. If someone starts a new thread about something that already has other previously started threads, they get scolded for it, their thread gets closed, and they are directed to post in the old thread. But if someone Necrobumps a really old thread about a subject they have a question on, they get mocked for necrobumping by the users here.

And if they start a new thread asking about a problematic subject like the XM, everyone gets on their case, threads get locked, they are directed to this thread, and then told not to ask or talk about it.

Regular "Friendly Town" in here, you guys.

One of the many facets of human nature:

englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idioms/D/damned_if_you_do_and_damned_if_you_don_t_615.htm

• Like 1

given that this project is nearly 7 years late on it's original delivery promise,

It is definitely been a while, but 7 years late is - um stretching the truth.

I made a pre-order with the original batch of pre-orders in the fall of 2010 while living in Atlantic Canada. Given that's it's the spring of 2016, we're not there yet.

Agree it's late. Agree communication should be better. Agree there have been some frustrating histories. But let's also deal in facts.

• Like 2

It is definitely been a while, but 7 years late is - um stretching the truth.

I made a pre-order with the original batch of pre-orders in the fall of 2010 while living in Atlantic Canada. Given that's it's the spring of 2016, we're not there yet.

Agree it's late. Agree communication should be better. Agree there have been some frustrating histories. But let's also deal in facts.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/145566-7800-expansion-module/?fromsearch=1

It was announced in June 2009. Curt originally expected to deliver it for August 2009.

• Like 1

Curt didn't take pre orders for a year after this. Let's be clear ... People weren't plunking down money in 2009 and told they'd get it in 2009

thats because Curt didn't originally plan to take pre-order money. Doesn't change the fact that it was originally announced in June 2009, and expected to deliver in August 2009.

Going by what is described in that thread, this was Curt picking up an original design that already existed from Atari during his time there. So really, this project is more like 29 years since inception. LOL