IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Hey folks,

No worries on the excitement over Crazy Brix.

Arkanoid was started long before Crazy Brix and then like some games, entered development hell.

I was overwhelmed with how to program DOH and all of the little ship AI... that, and I had a physics issue where as the ball sped up, it would leave the playfield.

Sometimes one can only spend so much time on a game before they need to take a break (or even call it quits).

In my case, other interesting projects get pulled into the foreground. I wanted to write something new instead of painstakingly duplicate something that had been done already.

I did want to also mention that after Arkanoid had been dormant for some time, Bob reached out to me about his idea for CrazyBrix.

He wanted to make sure he didn't step on my toes. I gave him my blessing, and he made a great game.

That's the kind of stuff that I really like in this community; he didn't have to reach out, but he did. That made a world of difference.

And now, I too am a fan of Crazy Brix (although Super Circus Atariage is my personal favorite).

-John

• Like 12

I will be making 50 boxed copies of this available soon. :)

..Al

I need that one too!!!! I hope Bob stops in after each release of his like Bentley Bear to hear some of the feedback his fans have to offer.. Yeah he is like a 7800 rock star. Everyone that works on Atari stuff is cool actually..
  • Like 2

I need that one too!!!! I hope Bob stops in after each release of his like Bentley Bear to hear some of the feedback his fans have to offer.. Yeah he is like a 7800 rock star. Everyone that works on Atari stuff is cool actually..

Also will be offering 50 copies of Bentley Bear at the same time, but those won't be boxed. But both games will have POKEYs. :)

..Al

• Like 8

Way to encourage new development :|

Yeah I didn't plan out that responcse very well... :dunce:

Hey folks,

No worries on the excitement over Crazy Brix.

[...]

No offense intended by my original comment. I just edited it and left the edit tag in there so it wouldn't cause confusion.

It's just PMP Arkanoid/Breakout clone was so awesome! He even added paddle support, which I've heard is hard to pull off on the Maria compared to good old fashioned TIA. Glad you gave him your blessing on that one.

But yeah tons of stuff gets canned, possibly much more so than valid releases. I'd love to see some of the scrapped projects PMP has on his harddrive though... ;-)

• Like 1

Also will be offering 50 copies of Bentley Bear at the same time, but those won't be boxed. But both games will have POKEYs. :)

..Al

Any possibility we are finally get the Hokeys in, or did you come across a stockpile of Pokey chips? I can also contribute a Ballblazer. I didn't know you needed any...

Also are you planning any earlybird subscriber perks this time? ;-)

Let me get this straight. it straight...it's finally out?

No, however Facebook news was posted Friday 6-10-16:

"Team, is back together...

3.5.1 Rev boards submitted to team early this AM

84 Pin CPLD design completed.

Final BIOS work being completed.

New "Killer app" XM games in the works.

Looking to send test run gerbers to production next week."

It would be great to see Froggie released on a cart. :) It's dual TIA/POKEY, so would take advantage of the XM.

I love me multi-sound chip action. Ever since Commando I've thought that was such a cool method.

And with the XM, one could do TIA/POKEY/YM2151 all in one game. Throw in the AtariVox externally to that mix for even more madness. Although that YM is probably driving good ol' Tep bonkers by now in the BIOS. He may end up a credible villain of Buckaroo Banzai. :)

Any possibility we are finally get the Hokeys in, or did you come across a stockpile of Pokey chips? I can also contribute a Ballblazer. I didn't know you needed any...

Also are you planning any earlybird subscriber perks this time? ;-)

We need a Kickstarter campaign for a new production-run of POKEYs. The community certainly needs that more than a self-congratulatory* book on the European Atari ST Demo scene. :)

MOAR POKEYs 4 ALL! Get your POKEYs while you can!

*Feel free to substitute another word in there, possibly starting with the letter "M".

• Like 1

We need a Kickstarter campaign for a new production-run of POKEYs. The community certainly needs that more than a self-congratulatory* book on the European Atari ST Demo scene. :)

MOAR POKEYs 4 ALL! Get your POKEYs while you can!

*Feel free to substitute another word in there, possibly starting with the letter "M".

The new Hokey replacements should be sufficient, unless you need them fof driving I/O, like keyboards and other useless fluff...

The new Hokey replacements should be sufficient, unless you need them fof driving I/O, like keyboards and other useless fluff...

The Atari 8-bit fans would take issue with that comment.

I'd really like if the XM's BIOS could recognize external POKEYs. I know that wasn't a planned feature but it would give the opportunity to make more arcade-perfect audio if anyone wanted to do some ports of some of Atari Coin/Atari Games' best titles, not to mention also use some of the Dual POKEY music that's been done over in A8-land over the past few years plus some "homebrew" titles like Tempest Xtreme uses it.

And with that, I'm going to duck before Tep throws something in my direction due to that last paragraph. :)

The Atari 8-bit fans would take issue with that comment.

I'd really like if the XM's BIOS could recognize external POKEYs. I know that wasn't a planned feature but it would give the opportunity to make more arcade-perfect audio if anyone wanted to do some ports of some of Atari Coin/Atari Games' best titles, not to mention also use some of the Dual POKEY music that's been done over in A8-land over the past few years plus some "homebrew" titles like Tempest Xtreme uses it.

And with that, I'm going to duck before Tep throws something in my direction due to that last paragraph. :)

What if there was a way for the application to command the XM to remap its POKEY from $450 to $460. Might be possible.

edit: Just remembered that the $460 addresses are used to configure XM RAM control Yamaha. It would need to go somewhere else if possible.

It's early. My memory hasnt woken up yet.

Edited by tep392
  • Like 1