IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Hell it's even plausible someone somewhere will try to piggyback two XMs, so it may be useful for the XM module to scan for the presence of a second XM module and disable one of them if duplicate hardware is found.

I dunno - that seems like dev effort for a rather extreme edge case. They could just as easily say "don't do that" in the instructions. :-)

I dunno - that seems like dev effort for a rather extreme edge case. They could just as easily say "don't do that" in the instructions. :-)

But stacking addons is fun. You can stack multiple NES Game Genies (within reason as too many eventually glitch up due to propigation delay) for extra codes if you stick to 8 characters. One guy stacked a Sonic 3 on top of two Sonic & Knuckles carts. It behaved exactly the same as if there was only one in the stack.

But stacking addons is fun. You can stack multiple NES Game Genies (within reason as too many eventually glitch up due to propigation delay) for extra codes if you stick to 8 characters. One guy stacked a Sonic 3 on top of two Sonic & Knuckles carts. It behaved exactly the same as if there was only one in the stack.

No doubt. But really - how many people are going to have two XMs and then are going to try and stack them together really? You and three others? :-)

• Like 1

I would make it short out both xm's and the 7800. Kinda a idiot proof feature. :P

I would have it trigger a congratulatory message to pop on the screen, saying to call an 800 number to receive further secret instructions. The person would excitedly dial the number, only to hear a pre-recorded message of Skeletor cackling.

• Like 2

Who cares what would happen? It is the equivalent to sticking your fricking fingers into an outlet.

My fingers won't fit into a US style outlet - haven't tried any foreign ones. :)

I figure they might have designed it that way for a reason.

Stacking XMs might be more analogous to seeing how many refrigerators you can run through power strips plugged into a single outlet.

Not a wise thing to do even if safeguards designed into the system work.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

My fingers won't fit into a US style outlet - haven't tried any foreign ones. :)

I figure they might have designed it that way for a reason.

I tried it once when I was like barely three years old. When I outgrew my crib and was big enough to sleep in a real bed, I noticed there was an AC unit in the window. Somehow the plug had dislodged from the outlet one night. It was one of those new-fangled high voltage outlets, ie not a standard NEMA-15. I licked my fingers and started vigorously rubbing the outlet as if a genie was gonna pop out. I got zapped good on my hand and actually witnessed a flash of light when the electricity arced my poor finger. Went to sleep with a terrible pins-and-needles numbness in my hand but it felt fine next day. Never touched an outlet again and never told my parents what I did. Prolly a good thing the bed frame was made of wood and non conductive or I would have been toast. :skull:

• Like 2

Yeah, I remember once when I was about that age, I was plugging something back in and inadvertently touched the hot pin as I was holding it. Tiny fingers back then.

Hence the reason European plugs don't have metal on the prongs until the very tips...

Hence the reason European plugs don't have metal on the prongs until the very tips...

Yeah, when I was a lad....

We're probably talking around 45-46 years ago, I got my fingers (Or something, not sure, fuzzy now) behind a plug in my parents kitchen, UK 250 VAC, and at the time, the pins were definitely metal ALL the way down. After I landed on the other side of the kitchen, I vowed never to do that again, and so far so good.

i ws never really right after that :-o

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember once when I was about that age, I was plugging something back in and inadvertently touched the hot pin as I was holding it. Tiny fingers back then.

The US plugs tend to be a bit smaller than the UK plugs, so it's more difficult to get your fingers behind the outlet. But I remember an incident when were were teenagers at boarding school where we were deliberately shorting an outlet by sticking the plug halfway in and touching it with a coat hangar. Sparks literally flew everywhere... :evil:

They now have new tamper resistant outlets with guard doors over the two prongs preventing insertion of foreign objects. Attempting to insert an object ie paperclip into one side will not work. Both vertical prongs must have pressure applied to the trap doors before the mechanism releases allowing full insertion of the plug.

Yeah, when I was a lad....

We're probably talking around 45-46 years ago, I got my fingers (Or something, not sure, fuzzy now) behind a plug in my parents kitchen, UK 250 VAC, and at the time, the pins were definitely metal ALL the way down. After I landed on the other side of the kitchen, I vowed never to do that again, and so far so good.

i ws never really right after that :-o

I've shocked myself with 120V a handfull of times and while pretty uncomfortable, it's not too bad. I touched 280V once while working on commercial light fixtures and that kicked my ass. My whole arm was numb for a while after that.

Twice the voltage doubles the current, quadruples the power, so you get a lot more damage. Nerve endings will usually repair themselves provided the nucleus does not die, but it's a slow process. If you have dendrite damage they will tingle for some time as they heal.

Strangely, once I got over being stunned, which took about 5 minutes, I had no burns, tingling etc Lucky I guess.

UK Plugs also have a guard now, the earth pin retracts it when you plug in, but if you are determined enough, you can bypass. If you get a shock then, you deserve it!

I think just about everyone has shocked themselves at some point in their life and lived to tell about it. Most people learn quick after their first encounter eith high voltage...

BTW, in most circumstances, it's only lethal if current passes directly across the heart.

I did across the heart 2 weeks ago was a good time. The current went from my right hand black screw out my left to the ground screw on 120v. That was the 3rd shock od the day and the worst so I quit wiring with live voltage as one little mistake and it scares the crap outa a guy. The little tingles are nothing but when it shocks you so you cant move for a split second your in trouble. My chest felt wierd for a week. Maybe did some good and burnt out some bad stuff in my heart the stuff the doctors don't know about.

I did across the heart 2 weeks ago was a good time. The current went from my right hand black screw out my left to the ground screw on 120v. That was the 3rd shock od the day and the worst so I quit wiring with live voltage as one little mistake and it scares the crap outa a guy. The little tingles are nothing but when it shocks you so you cant move for a split second your in trouble. My chest felt wierd for a week. Maybe did some good and burnt out some bad stuff in my heart the stuff the doctors don't know about.

I heard good electricians work with one hand behind their backs for that reason. Should of just cut the breaker box before working on live wires. I always cut power whenever I install a light fixture or something. If it involves working on the breaker box itself or rewiring the walls, hire a pro. Too many people wire shit wrong in their houses, then someone gets electrocuted or the building catches fire... :skull:

Too many people wire shit wrong in their houses, then someone gets electrocuted or the building catches fire... :skull:

I got shocked while cleaning a ceiling fan once because the person who installed it connected the green ground wire for the lamp to hot. I hadn't previously been shocked when touching the lamp base because I was never grounded, but when I touched the base and and a grounded section of the fan at the same time, ZAP.

Remember, kids - it's not the VOLTAGE that kills you, it's the amperage. I've known people killed by working on 120 AC in the US (electricians who got complacent after decades of working with ordinary household wiring) and of course, you can safely grasp and conduct thousands of volts from a Van De Graaf generator.

Anyway, how's that XM coming along? :)

I heard good electricians work with one hand behind their backs for that reason. Should of just cut the breaker box before working on live wires. I always cut power whenever I install a light fixture or something. If it involves working on the breaker box itself or rewiring the walls, hire a pro. Too many people wire shit wrong in their houses, then someone gets electrocuted or the building catches fire... :skull:

Its all done right not worried. was a double 3 way and 4 way switch circut and i never roughed it in so later ohm metered everything with the power off. In a hurry is usually when accidents happen.

Yes back on topic to the XM electrians.