IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Once I assisted at the then "my boss" attempting to wire by himself a corded telephone by splicing it into the existing landline.

Here he is on the ground trying to peel the 2 wires at the outlet with his mouth .... zaaaaaapppp!!!!!

The big question mark that appeared on his face after the fact was priceless and the he said with a numb tongue "I thought phone lines were not powered" (use Duffy Duck voice to get the effect).... not sure how he believed the dial-tone was relaid or the phone could even ring without some sort of power (however low).

I'm still chuckling thinking back at it.

But I did worse, I was making a Xmas tree light cable, had bought 10 24V small lights wired them one by one to each other with the plug in, and it worked fine until the last one that of course closes the circuit .... and zzzzzaaaaaapppp!!!! here goes young me ... big question mark on my face as for 9 out of 10 lights nothing bad happened ..... stoooooopid me.

Once I assisted at the then "my boss" attempting to wire by himself a corded telephone by splicing it into the existing land line.

Here he is on the ground trying to peel the 2 wires at the outlet with his mouth .... zaaaaaapppp!!!!!

The big question mark that appeared on his face after the fact was priceless and the he said with a numb tongue "I thought phone lines were not powered" (use Duffy Duck voice to get the effect).... not sure how he believed the dialtone was relaid or the phone could even ring without some sort of power (however low).

I'm still chuckling thinking back at it.

But I did worse, I was making a Xmas tree light cable, had bought 10 24V small lights wired them one by one to each other with the plug in, and it worked fine until the last one that of course closes the circuit .... and zzzzzaaaaaapppp!!!! here goes young me ... big question mark on my face as for 9 out of 10 lights nothing bad happened ..... stoooooopid me.

Dude was lucky nobody tried to call in. I have handled live landline phone wires before. Once someone called in and I could feel the 50V pulses tingling through my dry fingers. It was not painful, but that would be quite a jolt to the mouth.

Human skin is a poor conductor of electricity when dry but the resistance drops dramatically when wet.

And yes, I keep hearing that whole amperage versus voltage thing, but remember ohm's law of V=RC. The human skin acts as a variable resistance depending on moisture content and surface area of contact, but higher voltage will contribute increased current. The blood has electrolytes in it making it an excellent conductor, so the current pretty much has a free pass from skin contact to skin contact. Generally RMS voltage (DC or AC, doesn't matter) of about 30V is the minimum threshold where you can start to feel pain with dry skin. 60V is quadruple the pain factor of 30V, and 120V is 16 times, with 240V being 64 times as painful because twice the voltage doubles the current but quadruples the wattage. High enough currents can actually char flesh from the inside out!!! :skull:

Also the van-de-graf generator only produces a high voltage potential between itself and the environment. Who cares if there's 30,000 volts of static DC electricity in your body? Your body makes a poor capacitor and the Van-de-graf generator only produces a couple milliamps of current at best. Your body makes a poor capacitor seeing as there's only one "plate", so if you discharge suddenly by touching ground, it won't hurt much. because the total charge stored isn't large.

BTW, I have a high tolerance for pain regarding electrical current. My buddies in high school dared me to lick a 9V battery and I was the only one who could hold the thing to my tongue for more than a second or so. Once I held it in place for like 30 seconds and the other guys swore I was cheating, but one dude said, "no he's really doing it; you can see his tongue pulsating." The metallic aftertaste in my mouth lingered after that one... :razz:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've shocked myself with 120V a handfull of times and while pretty uncomfortable, it's not too bad. I touched 280V once while working on commercial light fixtures and that kicked my ass. My whole arm was numb for a while after that.

Yeah, try 90V DC. Ouch. Grabs like hell...

Strangely, once I got over being stunned, which took about 5 minutes, I had no burns, tingling etc Lucky I guess.

UK Plugs also have a guard now, the earth pin retracts it when you plug in, but if you are determined enough, you can bypass. If you get a shock then, you deserve it!

Unless you use one of these...

121336d1428127974-what-electric-outlets-

I heard good electricians work with one hand behind their backs for that reason. Should of just cut the breaker box before working on live wires. I always cut power whenever I install a light fixture or something. If it involves working on the breaker box itself or rewiring the walls, hire a pro. Too many people wire shit wrong in their houses, then someone gets electrocuted or the building catches fire... :skull:

Yup. I always work with one hand behind my back.

• Like 2

But you need a four handed electrician to be able to hold the solder, the soldering iron, the component and the freaking board ;-)

That's why they made these...

06400079_01_d4e2d6a4-748f-4d5f-8541-6b2e

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-helping-hands-with-magnifier

I love mine. I think he kinda looks like a stick figured alien though.

That's why they made these...

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-helping-hands-with-magnifier

I love mine. I think he kinda looks like a stick figured alien though.

"Only available in stores."

Yeah, thanks Radio Shack.. except that 99% of your stores have shut down. Guess I'll have to look for something similar on Amazon or something.

Yeah, thanks Radio Shack.. except that 99% of your stores have shut down. Guess I'll have to look for something similar on Amazon or something.

Road trip? :P

We had six Radio Shacks in my area. Now there's only one. Mostly when I go in there, I raid the parts drawers. Three or four bucks for little baggies with parts you can buy in bulk online for 50 cents or less, but no shipping / handling / small order fees and then wait a week for it to arrive...

Found some on E-Bay, this one with illumination!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RadioShack-Pro-Line-Helping-Hands-Soldering-Station-with-Illuminated-Magnifier-/142139408920?hash=item21182b4218:g:1QUAAOSw4shX7T1g

• 3 weeks later...

I received an e-mail from Curt last week that he is ordering 4 of the latest board design to build up for testing. I was going to wait until he had the boards in hand to post an update but it's been a while and it's clear that everyone wants to know what is going on. Thanks for your patience. :)

• Like 14

I received an e-mail from Curt last week that he is ordering 4 of the latest board design to build up for testing. I was going to wait until he had the boards in hand to post an update but it's been a while and it's clear that everyone wants to know what is going on. Thanks for your patience. :)

Awesome man!! Thanks for the update!!