IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Honestly, I think the worst part of this whole delayed project has been all the community know-it-all do-gooders telling us how stupid we are for having expected to get a product (or at least a few more real updates) by now.

Seriously -- if all you have to say is "chill out, don't worry about it" then please feel free to stay silent.

• Like 4

I understand people who ask others to be patient, and wait to see what happens to a point, it's not like most people here can affect the outcome simply by complaining or supporting. But I'll admit, it REALLY bugs me when someone tells everyone who contributed actual money to this (or any project like it) that they should just write off their hard earned money as an "acceptable loss" given the amount of time that has passed. That's some straight up bullshit. Atariage projects don't have some statute of limitations we're held to. Don't tell others what they should feel about their money.

• Like 9

Hey I was in the camp that didn't quite see the point of this in the first place! I still don't. Even if it gets released tomorrow, will game development suddenly start up out of the ether? I doubt it.

So many killjoys. Ahh well

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tep, is there a new update?

Thanks for your continued work on this!

I know Curt wasn't going to have time to work on it in December but was going to pick things back up in the new year. I'll check with him to see what's up with the proto's.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I think what's also not helping is the fact OpCode Games is going to have a second version of their ColecoVision hardware upgrade out soon. Granted, it's certainly nowhere near as ambitious as the XM but the original version shipped. Of course, it also helps that the ColecoVision is made of off-the-shelf parts whereas the 7800 has many revisions and custom hardware to deal with to boot.

I think what's also not helping is the fact OpCode Games is going to have a second version of their ColecoVision hardware upgrade out soon. Granted, it's certainly nowhere near as ambitious as the XM but the original version shipped. Of course, it also helps that the ColecoVision is made of off-the-shelf parts whereas the 7800 has many revisions and custom hardware to deal with to boot.

I don't think this is directly comparable to any other homebrew project at this point, other than the ones that never actually delivered and vainshed. It's actually a miracle that this is still being worked on and was not taken as a loss yet. This is Duke Nukem Forever territory at this point.

• Like 4

Opcode doesn't have anything to do with the XM do they?

I think Lynxpro is suggesting that the fact that OpCode's equivalent to the XM is already in its second version, while the XM has yet to see a real release.

OK, I didn't follow it that way. If so, then ya, it's insulting (criminal really) to all those people who paid in good faith for the XM the worst half of a decade ago. All the XM has offered it's customers is empty promises and outright lies at times while that equal product for another console that has had it's own troubles in being released has already seen 2 full releases make it to the masses.

Sorry, but I don't see it as insulting and lies.

Money paid was spent on the enclosure and metal labels, buying boards and parts, and revisions and who knows what else that goes into hardware revisions.

It is easy to see that feature creep, adding more and more, and then those walking away from the project, along with severe health problems of the creator had to delay the XM.

To know people are working on the XM and coding for it to make it work is fine with me.

The only sad thing is the longer it is delayed, the cheaper it becomes to put in each cart what the XM was designed to add on the 7800.

Some crowd source funding sites take your $$ as investing in the product, which may never appear.

Even the most successful crowd sourced projects like Pebble Smart Watch, who raised 10's of millions in 2 campaigns, are now gone cancelling and refunding its third successful campaign.

• Like 3

I question whether it's even actually being worked on at all. Other than some mild lip service every 4-6 months (coincidentally about the time people start asking for updates) about a 'new revision', there's been no proof that this has seen any real work. It's been a few years now since we were promised full attention to this project after Curt finished those books he wrote. Well, those are published now, so where is the work on this thing? There are working prototypes, so why isn't it finished by now? What exactly are the hangups technologically? I'd be perfectly happy with these features: high score save, improved audio, more ram for games (XM games). That's it.

This wasn't a kickstarter. He has over $20,000 of our money. Yeah, $115 of my money after all these years isn't causing me to lose sleep, but now that I think about it, that's just about enough to buy the 4 anticipated 7800 homebrew games to be released in the AA store soon.

The only sad thing is the longer it is delayed, the cheaper it becomes to put in each cart what the XM was designed to add on the 7800.

True, but not all the XM features can be in a cartridge. The XM also supposed to have the ability to use a keyboard and have the ability to use atari 8 bit computer peripheral.

Curt wanted the XM to be like the Atari 7800 was supposed to be back in 1984 including the keyboard. The only difference is the XM could use Atari 8 bit computer keyboards instead of the Atari 7800 Pro system Keyboard that GCC built for it.

The keyboard actually was something the 7800 was supposed to have back in 1984 and the prototype of it was found. Curt matter of fact has information on the keyboard and what the computer side of the 7800 was supposed to be back in 1984.

Curt wanted the XM to be like the Atari 7800 was supposed to be back in 1984 including the keyboard. The only difference is the XM could use Atari 8 bit computer keyboards instead of the Atari 7800 Pro system Keyboard that GCC built for it.

The keyboard actually was something the 7800 was supposed to have back in 1984 and the prototype of it was found. Curt matter of fact has information on the keyboard and what the computer side of the 7800 was supposed to be back in 1984.

..... can't .... resist ......

<sarcasm>

Phone ringing in the distance: RING RING RIIIIIIIIING

User 1: Hello!

Other side: hello, it's the 80s we want our crap back, stop mucking around with it.

User 1: .... but but but that's how it was supposed to be !!! I want to see it.

The 80s: if it didn't make it out the door in our time, it really wasn't meant to be!

So please give our crap back.

User 1: .... but I want it !?!?! I paid for it 6 or 7 years ago.

The 80s: Suit yourself but it ain't gonna be pretty.

</sarcasm>