IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

As long as you have The 80s on the phone, please warn them about Facebook.

Speaking of which ... have there been any more updates to the exclusive Facebook group mentioned about 20 pages back?

Yea...there was an update recently...at least, you could call it recent when you're living in the "XM Zone" (cue creepy Twilight Zone theme music). :D

post-29022-0-10757400-1486269823_thumb.png

• Like 3

As long as you have The 80s on the phone, please warn them about Facebook.

I promise I'll try ;-)

To be fair though it would be fun to have had and seen an 80s version of Facebook (no, not the school yearbook), if the 90s and GeoCities were any indication, that + glam rock (and keyboard led guitar rock ... lol [from the kid's book in bennybingo signature above]), the mullet and neon colors would have been vomit inducing ... and this even before dealing with any of the content (or lack thereof if you prefer).

• Like 1

Curt wanted the XM to be like the Atari 7800 was supposed to be back in 1984 including the keyboard. The only difference is the XM could use Atari 8 bit computer keyboards instead of the Atari 7800 Pro system Keyboard that GCC built for it.

The keyboard actually was something the 7800 was supposed to have back in 1984 and the prototype of it was found. Curt matter of fact has information on the keyboard and what the computer side of the 7800 was supposed to be back in 1984.

I did not know that about the 7800 computer keyboard!

Wow, every company had that same plan: 2600's The Graduate, another company got the Compumate out. Bally Professional Arcade was to mainly be a computer that also played games, that keyboard never got made. Coleco's Super Game Module was planned / advertised, but never made, they had Adam Expansion Module ship, along with Intellivision whose keyboard computer plan did finally get made, but not Intellivisions brushed gold tray box that was designed originally, but for the redesigned Intellivision 2. Coleco also made the full stand-alone Adam Computer System. I had an Adam for about a week then returned it due to problems plus I had a ColecoVision \ Expansion Module #1 2600.

Hmmm, like the newer 7800 tech Atari chose shelve until it was too dated, going with the weird 5200 that just played hardly changed Atari 400 thru XEGS games.

I remember trying the 5200, and my thoughts were my 2600 games give me just as much enjoyment and I would just be buying titles with better graphics and they were the same games I can play from floppy on my 800XL, plus the 5200 "controller" controlled the action so horribly, my Atari controllers were the clear choice.

By the time console gaming returned, there were plenty of home computers that game systems didn't need to be turned into computers. The 80's XEGS possibly being the last game system with a computer option ( that was the same late 70's Atari 400/800 chips which got mixed into way too many computer models.)

Nintendo was brilliant to reuse its Game Cube hardware for Wii, which compared to other consoles was under powered and dated, but the Wii Remote was such a new, innovative controller that got gamers up and moving, again showing great gameplay sells despite poor graphics.

But Atari was crazy to continue with the same 400\800 computer chips across the years as the 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, Atari 5200, XE64, XE128, XEGS, when the 7800's Maria and backwards compatibility with 2600 was arguably better. It just could not play the hundreds of existing Atari 800 computer titles which they could sell over and over instead of pushing forward with newer tech and innovative games. Coleco did just fine for a bit with better hardware / games and its EX#1 that played your existing 2600 collection. Which was outperformed by the year or so newer 7800 with built-in 2600 capability.

• Like 1

Now that would have been something. 7800 backwards compatible with the 8-bit carts...

Yep. What's weird is I couldn't sell my parents on upgrading from 2600 to 7800. But I did sell them on getting me an 800. I think the fact that it was a computer that could play game was the linchpin. Granted I pretty much wanted it for Arcade ports. I think all they ever bought for me was Pac-Man then we moved to an Apple IIe because they were sold on the fact that it was more versatile in term of general computing and the whole package. Printers Etc.

But man I would have loved a 78 with the capability of play 2600 & 8 bit carts.

I have a 7800 now (3 actually) and am enjoying what I missed back in the late 80's. I really hope the XM becomes a reality. I am late to the game so I am not out anything like some of you. So I will patiently wait.

I am in some of your shoes with a project on Kickstarter so I know the frustration but also the hope that it will still deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think Lynxpro is suggesting that the fact that OpCode's equivalent to the XM is already in its second version, while the XM has yet to see a real release.

That's what I was trying to say with the caveat that the ColecoVision upgrades aren't anywhere near as ambitious as the XM. For one, the RAM is pitiful. Sure, it's 1983 authentic but they could be expanding it out to the full MSX max RAM, or perhaps even MSX2. No High Score Functionality, no advanced sound chip [i think they added another GI chip] that hadn't been used by the platform before, no advanced serial port option, etc. But they've shipped a very professional looking product and are about to do it again. That makes some people on other platforms envious at what they've been able to pull off in a shorter time period. That's all. As a 7800 fan and a fan of Curt and Tep, I definitely want to see the XM finished and shipped.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still impressed by the family-friendly alternative they came up with for that line in As Good as It Gets. "Life's a counterfeit when you look at it."

Why would they do that? The show is not family friendly anyway. Oh fudge..:P

I don't know where Curt is on getting new proto's built, but I do know he has had a serious illness since before Christmas and probably hasn't been able to work on it. I've known about this for a while and normally wouldn't post about someone else's health issues, but he has recently posted about it publicly on facebook, so it doesn't seem to be a secret. I just wanted to give an update for the people who have paid for and supported this project.

• Like 6

I don't know where Curt is on getting new proto's built, but I do know he has had a serious illness since before Christmas and probably hasn't been able to work on it. I've known about this for a while and normally wouldn't post about someone else's health issues, but he has recently posted about it publicly on facebook, so it doesn't seem to be a secret. I just wanted to give an update for the people who have paid for and supported this project.

I like the update. Not that Curt has a health issue.

It's a shame that at this point the proverbial towel can't be thrown in and the project turned over to someone or some entity that will be able to deliver it. Curt's continued medical issues are obviously unfortunate, and this probably shouldn't be something lording over his head still. At this point, while I still want the thing, I'm going to chalk it up to a pre-crowdfunding loss of "investment." Certainly I've had enough of those well after the start of this project on Fundable, Kickstarter, and Indiegogo. It really does put into perspective how important it is to expect delivery within 3 months or so, and no longer, at least for me.

• Like 9

It's a shame that at this point the proverbial towel can't be thrown in and the project turned over to someone or some entity that will be able to deliver it. Curt's continued medical issues are obviously unfortunate, and this probably shouldn't be something lording over his head still. At this point, while I still want the thing, I'm going to chalk it up to a pre-crowdfunding loss of "investment." Certainly I've had enough of those well after the start of this project on Fundable, Kickstarter, and Indiegogo. It really does put into perspective how important it is to expect delivery within 3 months or so, and no longer, at least for me.

I'm inclined to agree with much of what Bill said.

I hope my post comes across as more Captain Obvious than Debbie Downer: Given Curt's present and past conditions, I hope he has designated someone to take over this project in the event he is unable to continue or (god forbid) just can't. If he hasn't already, he really should.

Even if that means all we wind up with are some cool looking shells with nothing inside but empty dreams, at least we'll have something to show for our holding on. Sad, but things like this happen.

AtariAge has him last being on board 11/5/16, and his last post here on 6/10/16. For all his Facebook postings, it really would be great if he updated us at least once a month, even if its only to show that he's still plugging away at this in some capacity.

I was injured earlier this year and was out of touch for several weeks, so I know what its like when things are serious, health wise. And I fell behind on a lot of things, personal and professional, and its tough to catch up. But even an email here or there just to let people know "Hey, I'm still here" can go a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

He seems pretty happy and normal and working, on all of his current facebook posts, and posting several times a day....talking about moving, and hating winter....

Sucks. This thing is dead in the water. Not afraid of saying it anymore. It's a total loss, never been robbed online before, but it's more than obvious now. I'm a big AA supporter and will be, and love the admins here, but no one wants to face up to the truth and address the elephant in the room. I barely visit anymore, because of this. There's no issuing refunds, there's no contact, it's just gone. I even was told I was being made games back in September that were late then, and admins never got back to me or responded. Not for the XM, either.

He seems pretty happy and normal and working, on all of his current facebook posts, and posting several times a day....talking about moving, and hating winter....

Sucks. This thing is dead in the water. Not afraid of saying it anymore. It's a total loss, never been robbed online before, but it's more than obvious now. I'm a big AA supporter and will be, and love the admins here, but no one wants to face up to the truth and address the elephant in the room. I barely visit anymore, because of this. There's no issuing refunds, there's no contact, it's just gone. I even was told I was being made games back in September that were late then, and admins never got back to me or responded. Not for the XM, either.

I'm of a similar opinion. Plus I have lost access to the email account I used to place the order, have no record of the order and I am about to move house for the second time since placing the order. No way to contact him, nothing.

ok, so after all this time I can put it down to experience and move on but it still sucks.

Anyone want to buy 4 Atari 7800s?

I guess you missed Curt's facebook post on the 13th when he was admitted to the hospital.

"Couldn't breathe. Face & hands went numb and I was all ashened and about to pass out"

He was clearly well enough to use his phone and post but I wouldn't assume his health is normal. When I chatted with him prior to him going to the hospital he was saying that he feels ok in the early day and then hits a wall and becomes totally exhausted by afternoon. I would hope he would post an update here at some point since he is surely well enough for that.