IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

I'm pretty sure if Eduardo picks this up, it can be done as for the super game module for colecovision, and think he's also has few other projects for intellivision and a stand alone console which will play regular and super games for Colecovision, he had problems with the production for a while, but got thru for the people who preordered this super game module.

Tep - I hear you, it's not like I don't have compassion for the guy, it's just that with all that has happened, and continued health issues, it's over. I saw his post on FB, read into it more after I made my last post here. It's unfortunate. I bought your Donkey among XM, love to hear it one of these years.....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After reading through roughly half this thread I'm honestly a little baffled why everyone and sundry on AtariAge tore Mike Kennedy a new hole over the Coleco Chameleon when everyone who backed his project got their money back, and yet no one seems terribly upset about Curt Vendel walking away with their money and never delivering the product promised. This has to be a screw up 10 times the magnitude of the Coleco Chameleon, since everyone who backed the 7800 XM lost three figures in funds that they're most likely never going to see again. Is Curt just that nice of a guy that he can get away with it and no one minds? It seems like this thread would be a 800 page firestorm if it was someone else like, say Mike Kennedy for the sake of argument, who made off with thousands of dollars then never delivered anything for it.

Don't get me wrong, Curt's medical situation is very sad and as someone on permanent disability I have every sympathy for his health problems, but where's the accountability?

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

The difference, here, I think, is that Curt was genuinely working on this, and early prototypes were real. It still may arrive. Kennedy tried to bullshit the world with his video capture card in a Jag case playing SNES games (or whatever)... Totally different.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 2

The difference, here, I think, is that Curt was genuinely working on this, and early prototypes were real. It still may arrive. Kennedy tried to bullshit the world with his video capture card in a Jag case playing SNES games (or whatever)... Totally different.

That makes sense I suppose. Curt certainly gets an A for effort, and I know how badly medical circumstances can derail life's plans (I've been in the ER with life threatening conditions half a dozen times in as many months as well), but I still can't help but feel sorry for everyone who backed this project and never got anything for their money. One way or another those people do deserve a refund at this point.

• Like 1

I think people have written it off at this point. This topic used to cause internet fistfights at the slightest provocation, but it seems like there's barely any interest at this point.

I doubt Vendel has the ability or the inclination to refund everyone who ordered.

I don't expect to ever play this thing, but I would like something for my money. I'd take a non-working shell with packaging as a memento of this ridiculous experience. I assume he has those things or he's a bigger fraud than I think he is.

I sold my Atari 7800 collection a while ago... Of course if they finish and ship the XM module, I'm going to get another 7800 system off of eBay just so I can try the XM. I've all but written off the release of the XM. Also I don't think Curt is able to do the refunds; I still have my email receipt archived should they ever finish the thing for release, but I would like to know something since I paid for it... But at this point, I'm almost ready to count it a lost.

Edited by philipj

I am a late comer to this and have already posted in previous pages that I would love an XM if your health improves and these become a reality. Hang in there Curt. I think I can safely say we are all pulling for a speedy and successful recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Poor Curt, just can't catch a break.

He's up to six or seven heart surgeries, but continues to remain relatively upbeat, all things considered. Wishing a speedy recovery and hopeful this is the last "replacement of a replacement".

This must be very hard on Curt's family as well - best wishes for you and them; sending positive vibes and thoughts towards you and your family, Curt.

• Like 6

Refunds cannot be given since much of the money was spent on shells, which was originally stated and we all agreed to.

I realize it was many, many, many years ago, but I don't recall to agreeing to giving over the pre-order money for a shell. I think at the time, the actual working product was supposed to be right around the corner. I don't think even my younger self would have given that kind of money over for a shell.

• Like 1

That sucks. Glad he's ok. Heart valves are not the kind of thing you want malfunctioning...

Refunds cannot be given since much of the money was spent on shells, which was originally stated and we all agreed to.

I realize it was many, many, many years ago, but I don't recall to agreeing to giving over the pre-order money for a shell. I think at the time, the actual working product was supposed to be right around the corner. I don't think even my younger self would have given that kind of money over for a shell.

Back in Sept 2010, 6 1/2 years ago, we were informed more than once that the pre-order - which started at that time - was "so the plastics can be tooled" and "tooling costs can be covered and things can begin immediately".

In all fairness, in that second link above, it also mentioned that there was the understanding of a 2 month wait for delivery; additionally, referencing back to the first link, Curt made it clear that Eduardo (Opcode) and Mark (GroovyBee) were working with him on the "electronics side of things".

Both individuals dropped out from the project (Well, Groovy's been on again, off again, on again, off again...), and Curt's been bombarded with health/heart issues.

From this point, the details and corresponding dates can be rehashed (again) ad nauseam for what has transpired, or that horse can stop receiving beatings.

• Like 1

As a long supporter of this project, the ongoing delays has been hard to digest for many fans/supporters in the community. Some have moved on, others have wanted more concrete updates, and another group of people just don't want to say anything to rock the boat. The whole project has been a loss for the 7800 community and a huge elephant in the room. There have been people defending Curt while others are are asking where their money went. I for one will not be holding my breath about this coming out anytime soon or at all. If it does, great. If it does not, then there should be an official and clear communication to all those who paid up front and waited patiently for years. Again I wish Curt better health and anyone who has working on the project the very best moving forward.

I ordered mine three or four years ago...and I actually got a tracking number the next day so I thought it was finished.

I am still holding my breath, if for no other reason that Homebrew developers are *still working on games for it*.

• Like 2

I ordered mine three or four years ago...and I actually got a tracking number the next day so I thought it was finished.

I am still holding my breath, if for no other reason that Homebrew developers are *still working on games for it*.

All the games that might have used the XM no longer need it at all and have not needed it for a couple years now. CPUWIZ's Versa Board is available to support both SRAM and POKEY which covers anything any of the homebrews would have taken advantage of if the XM ever came out. The High Score Cart function can be changed to SaveKey for those without a HSC and not a single person wrote any code for the YAMAHA audio chip that the XM was to have.

TL;DR : XM isn't, Versa is. All homebrews are good to go.

• Like 4

Where can I buy Versa. So Versa and Cuddle Cart 2/Harmony can basically do everything XM could? I don't want to be negative, but an XM module might release the same time as the 7800 LaserDisc add on. There was a picture here with hell freezing over discussing XM whoever posted that you are hilarious. If the people who started XM have health problems I wish you the best. Whoever was involved with XM who was decieving people, please stop. Know yourself, stop deceiving, find peace and joy in your life and help others be good as well.

Where can I buy Versa. So Versa and Cuddle Cart 2/Harmony can basically do everything XM could? I don't want to be negative, but an XM module might release the same time as the 7800 LaserDisc add on. There was a picture here with hell freezing over discussing XM whoever posted that you are hilarious. If the people who started XM have health problems I wish you the best. Whoever was involved with XM who was decieving people, please stop. Know yourself, stop deceiving, find peace and joy in your life and help others be good as well.

The Versa PCB is a cartridge PCB with multiple features on it. You as an end user would buy a game that is built on a Versa PCB for your 7800. I agree with you about the XM but won't bash as I already did so years ago and won't be repeating myself on the topic.

I think, If I recall, the technical issues all revolve around the Yamaha sound? (Honestly, this has gone on for so long, I can't recall clearly) so I would vote (if we had such an event) that it be dropped so we can get at least something...I thought the Yamaha was a stretch goal anyway.

Edited by Zonie