IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

The keyboard on the XM can enter high score initials.

Lots of games have high score support coded in.

Still it is not required to enter high score initials with a keyboard, there is always the scroll through the alphabet method.

• Like 1

You know that XM module had me, and still got me pretty inspired... I remember years ago at JS2 I use to mention the use of a YM2151 sound chip on a Atari 7800 for the simple fact that Atari had the "Atari System 1" that used the chip. It was always a what if scenario, just curious why Atari never used it in the 7800 console. I know GCC had they own sound processor for the 7800 and it would've been nice to see that kind of chip in the 7800.

I wish I can make my own module for the 7800... It would be something special with an extra processor to aid the already slightly better than the 2600 CMOS. I hope this XM gets released.

"Atari System 1" was done by the Atari Games Corp [known as "Tengen" in the consumer market], formerly Atari Coin - the arcade division - before Atari Inc was broken up in July 1984.

Atari Games used the YM2151 because the Atari AMY sound chip wasn't available. Tramiel's Atari Corp couldn't get the AMY working and had to cancel quickly its use in the Atari ST because of it [they then planned to use it in the 65XEM but that was cancelled when they still couldn't get the AMY to work]. They shifted to the YM2149 for the ST because Yamaha wouldn't sell the YM2151 to them because they were going to be a computer platform competitor.

GCC told Warner they couldn't squeeze in the POKEY onto the 7800 motherboard if it was going to fit in a retooled version of the Atari 2800/Sears Video Arcade II case. They designed the cartridge slot so it could support sound chips, CPUs, and RAM via the cartridge. They had hoped to convince Warner to make Atari [inc] buy the sound chip they were going to design - the GUMBY - but they didn't get to design it. GCC had $$$ in their eyes salivating at the thought of selling a GUMBY in each 7800 cartridge they were going to develop. But then Warner split up Atari Inc and the GCC developers had to move onto different projects or leave the company.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

Don't be silly, you're just not buying enough tickets.

Ha!

It's not the number of tickets, it's having the winning numbers. Back in 1994, I had 6 numbers in my head for the California Super Lotto. I got up to the machine and decided 3 of the 6 numbers sucked so I changed them at the last minute. And for that, I won $5 instead of $35 million. #true

I hate 1994.

• Like 2

Ha!

It's not the number of tickets, it's having the winning numbers. Back in 1994, I had 6 numbers in my head for the California Super Lotto. I got up to the machine and decided 3 of the 6 numbers sucked so I changed them at the last minute. And for that, I won $5 instead of $35 million. #true

I hate 1994.

Shoulda played both sets, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to come on and say hi to everyone. I escaped the jaws of death again, 7th times a charm, right? If I have 9 lives, I'm running out.

I think you get 13.

I am doing very well after yet another heart surgery. People keep asking me why I keep having all of these operations... the answer is simple: I love that hospital food :-)

There's always room for Jell-O.

Glad to hear you're recovering and doing well! Here's hoping that you get to stay that way. Take care of yourself!

• Like 3

Wow. Godspeed, man. I must admit, I was a doubter - glad you are on the mend and so nice to hear that you are ok. Take it easy, take care, and thank you for posting an update and clarifying the situation. I, for one, stil very much look forward to the release of the XM and any work you produce. All the best.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a 7800 XM pre-order a while back in this thread but have had to slim down my collection and no longer have a 7800. If anyone wants to buy it from me let me know.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1