IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

I don't think there are any console mods besides the XBOARD. Video mod's don't need special treatment. The BIG challenge is actually "plain old vanilla" 7800. Just have to look at the Concerto "pilot" release for an example. The standard machine is where the challenge lies.

Yes, the 7800 was made by the devil.

• Like 3

Here is how I feel about it. The only compatibility that should be considered is just plain old vanilla Atari 7800 ProSystem specs, period. Trying to account for every possible configuration and mod is a losing battle where you are going to constantly to run into logistical issues trying to get all of the non standard components to play well together. Most people will only have a stock Atari 7800 in the first place. Any smart developer will try to reach the largest base of users (that in this case is this using an stock Atari 7800 Pro System), and not worry about trying satisfy every unique twist that be can thrown into the equation.

Yes, please stop annoying Tep392. This is a hobby. He's not getting paid.

I wasn't intending to annoy Tep392 with my post earlier today. My comments today weren't even directed at him or anyone specific (they were just stated in general towards the goals of the 7800 XM project). In fact I didn't know he was involved in the development of the 7800 XM module. I just stated what was on my mind about features and compatibility as it pertains development of the 7800 XM module. As for stopping annoying someone, what I will say to that is anyone who has paid money towards the project has a voice to be heard and should not be asked for silence when offering feedback or requesting details about the status of the project. The project has been in development for 7 years, but that is fine as long as the 7800 XM module is released and works as intended (I want a product that works and am willing to wait for it to reach maturity as no one wants a broken product that would be more useful as a door stop). Developing new hardware takes considerable time effort, resources, and skill, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Considering that this is a hobby project and not something being done by a paid team of engineers who have all the resources of Atari knowledge about the system it is nothing short of amazing that something like this feat might actually succeed. I never demanded an update or release date, and I am content to wait patiently for the 7800 XM module to reach completion and see the light of day. I only recently secured a pre-order and probably everyone on this thread with pre-orders have been waiting in line ahead of me. However updates would be nice on periodic basis instead of silence to inquires and no updates for more 2 months after am update was promised. That all being said I appreciate the time and effort of everyone involved in making this project happen and getting it as far as it is today. I have not, nor will I make demands of someone who is working for free and doing so in their own spare time. Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 5

I posted an update on Dec 18th, post# 1470. I don't expect anything has changed since then considering the time of year.

Here's a link to that post:

atariage.com/forums/topic/227889-7800-xm-update/?p=3915154

I checked with Curt about a week ago and learned that he has received 4 boards with the latest design and has started to build them. This happened just recently.

• Like 1

I posted an update on Dec 18th, post# 1470. I don't expect anything has changed since then considering the time of year.

Not from you Tep, from Curt. He said back in October he would have an update including pictures and video to share "soon" and that never came. Some users thought that update with pics and video might come on Xmas but it didn't.

• Like 1

Tep channeled Curts video and pictures thru text. Do you believe in miracles?

Miracle-Max.jpg

"By December 10th is was becoming apparent that 2010 was going to have to pass by without the 7800 Expansion Modules making it out the door, too many unfinished items were left"

- Curt Vendel

• Like 3

I know we joked about 3 years more 5 years more. We could not exaggerate the future enough to the reality. Should have started with 10 years and went from there.

If it comes at all I will be amazed. Seeing the high score screens for the first time. Hearing pokey on the beef drop ve cart and yelling a big fuck yeah to Ken's spirit. Someday playing a YM enhanced game. My 7800 dreams await.

• Like 1

I hope he considers a public plea here at AA for updated addresses from preorder folk. I've moved twice since my preorder and don't do Facebook. Also, Venkman, thank you for relaying the update from Facebook to this thread. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

• Like 2

What's so special:

On board POKEY and Yamaha sound chips for upgraded sound.

SIO ports for peripherals plus ability to plug in an XEGS Key board and turn it into a computer.

Good start. Add

- 48K ramcart mode for s/w development

- 128k RAM with multiplexing for independent Maria / CPU access.

- NTSC and PAL compatible HSC. Old HSC didn't support PAL

• Like 4