IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

It's a Facebook group that was started for people on Facebook to discuss about the XM, not an announcement about an announcement. Not an announcement about an update. Not an update about an announcement elsewhere. Not whatever fantasy XM news posting transgression some of you seem to want to constantly come up with. Just thought people here that might also be on Facebook would be interested to know it exists, that was the sole purpose. Happy to have the post deleted if this is going to turn into another two pages full of "Yah but..." type posts in response.

There ya go. Never would of thought simply sharing a link to another XM discussion area would have caused such an uproar.

Ok thank you. Nope no uproar needed.

Could it be that people are just perplexed and annoyed that one would have to go to facebook for XM updates, when that kind of info SHOULD be posted here, AND most of the people who bought into the XM, are here???

To each their own though. ;)

• Like 3

Could it be that people are just perplexed and annoyed that one would have to go to facebook for XM updates, when that kind of info SHOULD be posted here, AND most of the people who bought into the XM, are here???

To each their own though. ;)

Hasn't he already explained that the Facebook group is not for updates? The description of the group is clear to me.

Hasn't he already explained that the Facebook group is not for updates? The description of the group is clear to me.

True, but if you can't log in to Facebook, you can't even see the group description (at least not through that link). There have been complaints before about having to go to Facebook for XM updates, which only added to the confusion when those of us who are not on Facebook were presented with a link we couldn't open.

Again, a little explanation would have gone a long way.

• Like 1

True, but if you can't log in to Facebook, you can't even see the group description. There have been complaints before about having to go to Facebook for XM updates, which added to the confusion.

True, an explanation at the start would have avoided confusion. Maybe 7800 missed the later posts explaining the purpose of the group.

True, but if you can't log in to Facebook, you can't even see the group description (at least not through that link). There have been complaints before about having to go to Facebook for XM updates, which only added to the confusion when those of us who are not on Facebook were presented with a link we couldn't open.

Exactly.If you need a FB login just to view the information, then it's not "public." That's why I find issue with it. "Über-exclusive" may have been a bit extreme, but I have my reasons for not creating a login on the site (I do not agree with their privacy policy). Without a login, it may as well be an "Über-exclusive" fan club. :ponder: Edited by stardust4ever

Oh I don't know, I don't really pay attention to it, I was just speculating as to why some people are always pissed off on this thread. :) I think Curt wanted people to go to the Syzygy store page for updates IIRC. But Like I said, Why not use what most consider to be the definitive Atari fan site for updates, Curt can do what he wants but I think it makes more sense to just use these forums. :)

It's a link to a dedicated 7800 XM Facebook Group. At the moment, it's not a public, but a closed group, meaning you'd need to be approved. Nothing unusual, really, but not much value for those who are totally against Facebook for whatever reason (seems kind of silly to me personally since more and more stuff is only available and/or communicated through Facebook, but to each their own).

There are people that find facebook's privacy policy revolting. There's also some that refuse to jump on the network since there are employers that comb through it to check up on employees and prospective applicants, etc.

• Like 9

Anyone going, shoot lots of photos/video. I cannot make it this year due to budgetary concerns.

I'll be taking plenty of photos (and I'll try getting photos of the entire show this year, not jus the AtariAge booth), but the more the merrier. :)

..Al

• Like 3

There are people that find facebook's privacy policy revolting. There's also some that refuse to jump on the network since there are employers that comb through it to check up on employees and prospective applicants, etc.

Well good for them as that's their right, but they shouldn't then be complaining or surprised when the most popular social network on the planet is used for social activities. You have to look out for the bigger picture, which is reaching the most people. The most people, for better or worse, are generally on Facebook. There's no way to make sure everyone is happy as someone somewhere is not going to like something for some reason or another. In this day and age if you're in any way a public persona or entity, it would be ridiculous not to be on the major social networks, even if it means alienating a small handful of conscientious social media objectors.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

....which is why you adjust your privacy settings so that they can't.

And as with just about any of your online activities, don't be dumb enough to do something on Facebook that you don't want the universe to see you do.

• Like 2

I know of a toy company brand manager who craves the spotlight, loves attention, and pretty much proclaims himself as a celebrity... yet he avoids facebook like the plague.

The guy is a douche though and stays off social media stuff because he knows he'll get blasted in the comments sections. LOL!

In this day and age if you're in any way a public persona or entity, it would be ridiculous not to be on the major social networks, even if it means alienating a small handful of conscientious social media objectors.

Even when that "small handful of conscientious objectors" might comprise the bulk of your target audience?

• Like 2

Even when that "small handful of conscientious objectors" might comprise the bulk of your target audience?

The 7800 ownership and general retro gaming community is bigger than this forum. My 7800 group on Facebook, that I started a year ago to much derision here, now has roughly 500 members and is pretty active. It's also empty of condescending know it alls who look down on people they don't deem worthy. If people show their asses, I kick them out.

This is a feature not a bug if you actually want to have fun as part of your hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DrVenkman

....which is why you adjust your privacy settings so that they can't.

And as with just about any of your online activities, don't be dumb enough to do something on Facebook that you don't want the universe to see you do.

Yes, but the political correctness police will stop at nothing to shame anyone. Ever day some CEO, executive, or high ranking employee loses their job because of some slightly off color remark on Facebook or Twitter. It's everyone's right to free speech. It's nobody's right to not be offended by something they find on the Internet. I am fortunate to have a fairly common last name. But even if my name was rare, searching it on the Internet would not get results. Searching "stardust4ever" will reveal the tons of places where I've been. If I was applying for a job somewhere, guess what I won't be putting on my resume: my online alias. The prospective employer could search the Internet high and low using my name and info and not find a danged thing. I don't exist in cyberspace. Stardust4ever doesn't exist in the real world.

The whole premise of Facebook is to hook up with people. It's a great tool for finding out what old friends are doing. It's a great tool for putting one's personal business up for everyone to see, friends, family, coworkers, bosses, prospective employers, and yes spammers. Facebook mines your data and sells it to advertisers. A billion sheeple fell for it and are putting their daily business online and Facebook is making billions off your private info.

People post vacation photos online while on vacation and return to find their belongings burglarized. Coincidence? I think not. Those selfies you took in the bathroom mirror when your smartphone tagged the GPS coordinates to the meta data in the JPG. Boom. Criminal knows your on vacation and they know where you live. They examine your yard on Google Earth to find the best possible entry point to avoid detection. They also know your CIB Turbografx and Neo Geo collections are worth a lot of money because you bragged about it days before you left town. And because you like to brag to the world, it is gone now! :_(

Yes. Facebook is for sheeples... :ponder:

EDIT: Sweet, 666 replies! :evil:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 4

As was stated in the other comment, it is indeed a "small handful" in the bigger picture. Even on AtariAge, being against social networks like Facebook is a small group.

Look, I'd be the first to say that for proper discussions and historical/search purposes, places like AtariAge and other traditional Websites (one of which I run myself) can't be beat, but the reality is that's not where everyone goes, particularly those not quite passionate enough to monitor things like Forum topics. For those people, it's far easier to just monitor the groups or pages on the social networks that they're already participating in. With that in mind, you have to evolve with the times and be where everyone else is. If not, you have to occasionally being left out. It's not a big deal either way since the information should cross populate in time, but you can't begrudge others also wanting to be where the most people are.

• Like 1

As was stated in the other comment, it is indeed a "small handful" in the bigger picture. Even on AtariAge, being against social networks like Facebook is a small group.

For a generic 7800 group, that is correct. But what's being said is that for XM-related stuff, the bulk of the target audience (people that preordered and those with an interest to get one afterwards) is indeed here on Atari Age. That likely also goes for the people that would probably develop for it. Hopefully there will be some people keeping an eye on the forums here to answer any XM programming questions that are bound to pop up.

On another point directed more at Curt, surely the XM specs are finalized by now. Is there any harm at releasing the specifications for programming it publicly at this point? Even if people aren't able to actually do anything concrete until the hardware is in their hands, knowing what's available and (more importantly) how to use it could help them start thinking about possibilities in advance. ;)

• Like 1

I understand now what you did, but I think it would have been helpful if your original link hadn't been posted without any explanation about what it was. Something like this ... ... would have taken about ten extra seconds to write and would have closed off a lot of potential misunderstandings. Better to be explicit at the outset than to have to explain later.

but then he couldnt complain and talk down to everyone. Just saying Edited by atari181
  • Like 2

Lock your account then so only friends can see your posts and relevant account info.