IGNORED

Atari 2600 Cap kit?

RAGINxxXxxCAJUN

you're probably only going to want to replace the electrolytic caps... happen to have a 4-switch circuit board sitting here and count only 3 of 'em:

C243 = 2200uf 16v

C214 = 4.7uf 35v

C201 = " "

This.

Though you may want to replace the voltage regulator as well as they tend to die in 2600s.

Mitch

Where's the Voltage regulator?

Look for a big square of black plastic about the size of your pinkie fingernail (very roughly speaking) with 3 metal legs coming out of it, attached to a metal shield on the back - which is a heatsink.

I've never seen a dead one in a 2600 but now that people mention it, I wonder if it's what's wrong with a 7800 I have. Thing doesn't seem to power up at all; it would rock if it was something so simple.

You mentions the voltage regulator, it's a common 7805, basically looks like a TO220 size transistor, I keep a handful of them around all the time just in case I need one.

Don't waste your money on a "re-cap" kit. You'll probably get the right parts, but pay a lot more for them. Go to digikey.com and look them up on there, just be sure to match the values up right.

• 2 weeks later...

ALL DONE!!! All caps replaced! Anywhere that had solder was removed and had new solder. Made a Hugh difference with picture and sound. Even fixed some odd things like cutting off during game for no reason. Re soldering the whole board took some patients but we'll worth it. All the parts I need to rebuild all 3 of my 2600's cost $13. Can't beat that.

ALL DONE!!! All caps replaced! Anywhere that had solder was removed and had new solder. Made a Hugh difference with picture and sound. Even fixed some odd things like cutting off during game for no reason. Re soldering the whole board took some patients but we'll worth it. All the parts I need to rebuild all 3 of my 2600's cost $13. Can't beat that.

Pictures please!:)

• 1 year later...

2600 Refurbish kits are now available at Console5.com. Includes all the caps that need to be replaced, along with new voltage regulator and the static protection diodes for the joystick ports. Just did one this past weekend. Fixed up some picture issues quite nicely!

http://console5.com/store/atari-2600-total-refresh-kit-new-capacitors.html