IGNORED

Delta Space Arena for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

I would like to make an official announcement about the development of Delta Space Arena for the Atari 8-bit. It is essentially an enhanced version of Omega Race (aka Delta Race). I did want to showcase the ability of the Atari 8-bit computer over that of versions of Omega Race on Commodore 64, Vic-20, Atari 2600, and the Arcade version. It will be released on cartridge soon from Atari Sales (video 61). No release date set at this time, we are in the going through some final beta testing. The game is more colorful, each level has a different design for the Arena. Some additional enemies. It works on any standard unmodified Atari 8-bit. I cannot guarantee it will work with certain hardware mods.

This fits into a 16K cartridge and uses inflate compression instead of more expensive bank switching cartridges. It is with a series of games in development that are meant to be sold at a lower price. I already ported a version of Venture to also fit into a 16 cartridge. I made a video and some screen shots of the game.

post-14332-0-29363600-1406237037_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-05053200-1406237038_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-86881300-1406237038_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-69361900-1406237039_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-49336200-1406237040_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-30766900-1406237041_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Looks very cool. I've never really played Omega Race but this looks neato!

Speaking of Vector games I wouldn't mind seeing Space Fury done on the A8s either. I'd say Star Castle as well but Vectrex and a PC remake kind of scratch the itch.

The video is set up as a teaser advertisement for the game. Some MP3 music was added in the background. Game Sound is generated with a custom sound effects routine.

Thankyou for the positive feedback. I am working with Video 61 with the beta testing and getting the game out soon.

If you know anything about the Atari 8-bit, it only has 4 players, 5 if you combine the 4 missiles, which this game does. Positions and Colors are changed every couple of scan lines either with a DLI or watching the scan line within VBI. To me, It is easier to manage with DLI. So you may get some flicker from multiplexing when a bunch of sprites are packed on one scan line. it is not noticeable when sprites spread out and moving.

WTF is this? Pictures and video of gameplay? Who wants to see that?! Where are the mock-up pictures and 15 minute still videos of the credits? When do we get to meet the surly sock puppet?

I swear, this is no way to launch a game.

:D Nice Job, BTW! :P

• Like 2

WTF is this? Pictures and video of gameplay? Who wants to see that?! Where are the mock-up pictures and 15 minute still videos of the credits? When do we get to meet the surly sock puppet?

I swear, this is no way to launch a game.

:D Nice Job, BTW! :P

i understand what do you mean, but do you saw gameplay of centron 3d for Amiga? it is on youtube. you can find it on rpc games site........

i understand what do you mean, but do you saw gameplay of centron 3d for Amiga? it is on youtube. you can find it on rpc games site........

I don't want to hijack this thread, but yes I saw that Pete has posted an Amiga sprite demo (which is hardly gameplay). I bet it's further than he got on the Atari.

This looks like it will be easier to play than Asteroids. Higher scoring and more colors should bring a lot of players to this game...

I started off making an Asteroids clone called Megaoids using multicolor Antic 4 mode. However even before I started up that project I knew there are several Asteroid clones on the Atari and would not expect to sell many copies. So I decided to go for something more similar to Omega Race which had not been done on the Atari 8-bit. Other possible games that have similar spinning space ship movements would be Star Castle and Space Wars. Megaoids is still a separate project I may finish later.

We are looking around $40 price on the cartridge. It will start as cartridge only, Black or Brown Atari style shell that hold the cartridge board in place.

Edited by peteym5

Looks great! I suppose that is the only real knock on Omega Race, that it only has that one unchanging race track to play in.

By the way, what controls will be used? Might there possibly be the ability to use a Driving Controller along with computer keyboard buttons? Maybe as an alternative to the assumed joystick? No biggie if there isn't, just curious.

Unfortunately, the driving controller has one button. I think it would be ergonomically inconvenient to try to bang on the keyboard at the same time as working the controller. at least for me it would be.

Someday I'll have a 3D printer and I'll make a two-button driving controller. yeah, that's the ticket.

I mentioned the issue with Driving controller / paddles several times with prior games concerning having only one fire button. Why this option is not considered. Need something for fire and for thrust. Asteroids also had flip / hyperspace / shields when pushing back on the joystick. If someone made a two button controller, it probably be more ideal.

I am considering a separate version of Delta Space Arena that supports different Atari Hardware like VBXE or 65816. That is if there is demand for it. It probably be one made made per order. Depends on how many people will be willing to purchase it that have such hardware.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for delays with getting the cartridge up on the market. Some problems were found when testing a beta cartridge on real hardware. Thank you for your patience and understanding we are working to put out a great game free of problems.

I have decided to post this limited beta demo of Delta Space Arena. It will only play up to level 10 before returning to the Title screen. I am doing this so people can test the game, beta test a part of it. Get feedback about issues with the game. The cartridge release and price will be announced when it is ready. The major difference between this demo beta version is that the cartridge will keep going after level 10 and their will not be an ad within the title screen.

I am considering pre-releasing demo beta versions of other future games before the cartridge to gather quicker feedback concerning issues about bugs and game play. Normally a demo is released after the cartridge is made to promote the cartridge. So this is a first for me. There are concerns about hacking the programming. I know most of the people are supportive on here.

• Like 5