IGNORED

Delta Space Arena for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

Thanks! It looks, plays, and sounds good. Sound effects are cool. I'd like to see it on real hardware so I can see how the flicker looks, but I don't have anything set up at the moment.

I had a few issues with P/M pixel garbage. Usually just one or two pixels, which later got cleared out. I also had the main player sprite get drawn kinda weird/distorted. I'm just testing in Altirra. No screen shots right now. I can take some later when I've got more time. You want save states?

I also seem to be getting some random sprites being drawn when I'm over top of a bunch of sprites and firing at the same time. I'm firing vertically on them and I'm seeing the random sprites being drawn below me, where I'm firing, and the random sprites are moving in a horizontal direction.

Normally a demo is released after the cartridge is made to promote the cartridge. So this is a first for me. There are concerns about hacking the programming. I know most of the people are supportive on here.

I think your concerns are entirely unfounded. Community members releasing games who have asked that their games not be distributed are respected (even Fandal who bought a pricy Xenophobe prototype and then released it to the community to be purchased via Video61 has had his wishes in this regard respected-and that's not even his code.) Has any of your other games (Tempest, Adventure) been pirated? Dumping a cartridge is very easy now, and any protections you may have added are easily circumvented (and generally protecting a game is a waste of time, it was back in the 80s and it is 1000% so now.) I'm not saying this to make you think people are going to hack your game, or pirate it, but am trying to say that your fears are unfounded, and frankly I find them slightly paranoid.

On the topic of your game releases, do you actually make any money on the games? After factoring in your time for programming? Most of the programmers in the community are doing it for the love of the machine, and the love of the hobby, not to make money (since there is so little of it to be made anyway.) Some folks release cartridges with nice packaging (see the GR8 releases) and ALSO release the game in binary form, or release the binary after the cartridge/box run sells out. They usually sell out. Your games are of sufficient quality that I doubt you'll have any issues there. Anyway, I think releasing a playable demo is a step in the right direction, and thanks for doing it!

Edited by Shawn Jefferson
  • Like 5

I think your concerns are entirely unfounded. Community members releasing games who have asked that their games not be distributed are respected (even Fandal who bought a pricy Xenophobe prototype and then released it to the community to be purchased via Video61 has had his wishes in this regard respected-and that's not even his code.) Has any of your other games (Tempest, Adventure) been pirated? Dumping a cartridge is very easy now, and any protections you may have added are easily circumvented (and generally protecting a game is a waste of time, it was back in the 80s and it is 1000% so now.) I'm not saying this to make you think people are going to hack your game, or pirate it, but am trying to say that your fears are unfounded, and frankly I find them slightly paranoid.

On the topic of your game releases, do you actually make any money on the games? After factoring in your time for programming? Most of the programmers in the community are doing it for the love of the machine, and the love of the hobby, not to make money (since there is so little of it to be made anyway.) Some folks release cartridges with nice packaging (see the GR8 releases) and ALSO release the game in binary form, or release the binary after the cartridge/box run sells out. They usually sell out. Your games are of sufficient quality that I doubt you'll have any issues there. Anyway, I think releasing a playable demo is a step in the right direction, and thanks for doing it!

It is not only my concerns about hacking or pirating. I do make some money and enjoy doing these things as a hobby. I suggested ideals of putting a few of these games on floppy after the sales of the cartridge really slows down. I was warned once it gets released on floppy, it becomes a free for all. My other ideal once a few games are completed, put several of them onto one of those bank switching cartridges or sale a group of them in a bundle. Just not sure how those ideals work with the retro game world. However I have decided as a policy not to respond when people get hostile about our decisions about not putting it up for downloads or other formats. I mainly respond to questions about the game program itself. Sometimes posting on here is like navigating a mind field.

• Like 2

I am trying to fix that problem with the sprites. It seems to be happening when the VBI "overloads" on NTSC machines. I have a trap in place where it resumes a VBI if the prior one is incomplete, holding one frame. If it does not happen very often, I may leave it as is.

I am trying to fix that problem with the sprites. It seems to be happening when the VBI "overloads" on NTSC machines. I have a trap in place where it resumes a VBI if the prior one is incomplete, holding one frame. If it does not happen very often, I may leave it as is.

As far as I can tell it has the same issues as the first demo.

Very cool!

Honestly, I'm not up for buying a cart. Just not in the mood, and I'm having to get some bad times paid down. No worries on any of that. It's me, not your game, which looks very appealing1

One other nice thing about putting up a demo is people like me can check it out, give you feedback, and generally participate. That's all good for everyone, and it's perfectly OK to want to keep it on cart, limited, etc... No worries on any of that either. We are a small club, and if we treat each other right, this all works.

So I posted up to highlight how a demo works out just fine, and to say "thanks" for putting one here. Besides the beta test to insure people who do buy one get a good experience, it's just nice to be able to appreciate your work and tell you all about it. In my experience, that counts for a lot, and many people want the opportunity to do just that, and aren't so worried about the details, or owning the game, whatever.

• Like 1

I know a few people suggested the game was too easy and looking closer I observed what may had been a glitch with a single laser bolt killing multiple enemies. This update corrects that problem and making it more challenging. Attempted a further fix to the random sprite issue.

I am aware that cartridges are too expensive to some people. I am working with several people to help find ways to get the pricing down. Have to keep in mind the limited amount of people making cartridges, boards, and shells these days. Rises in fuel costs causes rises in shipping costs.

• Like 3

Delta Space Arena is a first in a series of games I am working on that fit onto a 16K cartridge. They are designed to fit with some help with compression routines and smart data encoding. A few I am doing on my own, others I am working with KJMANN12. I may pass on the Asteroids type game that draws the asteroids in Antic 4 mode. I am working on something like Frenzy (Berserk Sequel) and another project like 2600 Surround (or Tron Light Cycle Competition). As you can see, I am targeting stuff that has not been done much on the 8-bit. There are a few other titles I started.

Video61, KJMANN12, and myself been considering something like the Coleco Mouse Trap and Coleco Lady Bug. These seem to be too much of a Pac-Man rip off. There were made for other systems because they did not want to make Pac-Man and get around licensing. Didn't Atari and Namco sue Intellivision because they had a Pac-Man clone too close. I am not enthused about doing Mouse Trap or Lady Bug at this point.

Please understand we did not list the games here on AtariAge because we did not want to put up with people getting stupid or list 50 other games that we should do. We are keeping the full list of games internal until they are ready to be released.

Pete,

Thanks for posting the test bin - I unfort havent had time to try it but hopefully this week I will. I know you are not looking for suggestions but Ill throw out 2 just in case they hadnt crossed your mind :) - Zookeeper (nice use for your sprite engine me thinks) or Mappy - both unique games that didnt make it to the 8bit.

Ok Ill be quiet and provide some feedback once I can try the bin out.

I believe I remember someone doing Mappy on the 8-bit. But not sure if the project was abandoned. I also considered doing something like WinBrick or an Enhanced Super Breakout with many balls flying around and power ups with my multiplexer sprite routine. However like Asteroids, Break Out had been done to death on the 8-bit. I have been looking for stuff that can use between 8 to 16 sprites on screen at once.

ZooKeeper looks interesting, have to research the game more and discuss it with Video 61 and KJMANN12.

Hi Mappy never got out of the "How to?", have to talk again with the coder but he hasn't much time now that is also why other game didn't arrived into A8.

I did some tries for the A8 and C64 gfxs, for C64 in bitmap or charmode and their hardware sprites it seemed easy but on A8 its a mess (I even started and its indeed possible a BBC 8colours on screen version).

Even the 'more simple' C64 wasn't started, sorry at least by this side don't expect Mappy on A8.

i am the only one who noticed the bugs up and right of the screen ?

TiuFBJ.png

I don't recall seeing the glitch over to the right of the screen (I may have just not noticed) but I've definitely seen the phantom objects at the top of the screen. I was using Atari800Win+ FWIW.

tjb