IGNORED

Delta Space Arena for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

• 4 weeks later...

We are currently going through a thorough debugging process with this game before it gets released onto a cartridge. We are making sure it works correctly on different 8-bit Atari systems from a 16K 800 to 128K 130XE. I am in contact with beta testers and getting reports on the functionality of the program. We test in house on real hardware as emulation does not catch everything.

• 1 month later...

I had to make a few changes because there were some display issues on Pal Atari computers. I am working on having run close to the same on both NTSC and PAL systems. This is my own game. I cannot quote a release date yet but I post on here to let everyone know when the cartridge is up for sale.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

Hi Pete,

before I ask my question, I want to emphasize that I'm seriously interested in your answer and your point of view about that. You and I probably both remember the rather unpleasant discussions we had before, so please take in mind that I am honestly interested in your answer.

I know you are testing this very well, and I know that on atari carts there turned out to be bugs too, and I believe you... I believe that you and your people are very thoroughly testing and debugging the game. But still... in the field, the situation is most of the time different than in test-setups or situations.

So my question is:

What will be the return-and-exchange policy if it turns out that there is unluckily a bug on your cartridge?

Will there be a free exchange, including free shipping both ways?

I promise this: If your answer is not what I hope for, I will NOT start the discussion again. It's important for me to know the answer, which will help me decide whether I will buy the game or not. That's all.

Thanks and good luck with this project!

M.

Video61 will return cartridges if they are defective, plug in and does not work. This particular game had gone through a lot of updates before we had a cartridge that had no glitches we can see. I had people testing a demo/beta in emulation, real hardware, and Video61 sent people the real cartridge. These games do not go out until everyone involved is satisfied they work.

Sometimes people have faulty or dirty cartridge ports, that no one can be responsible for. If someone did hardware modification and has issues running software that is meant for stock hardware, that is something we cannot be responsible for either.

We tried to put a game out on an Atarimax cart a few years ago, and Video61 got a percentage of them back because they somehow lost the information by the time the person received them. That is why he does EPROMS cartridges only.

Delta Space Arena had been done a little different than Venture or Tempest in that it does not disables the O/S or alter the DMA register everyframe. I discovered it did not save many cycles to disable the player/missile DMA behind the scoreboard. Since sprites don't go up there anyway, I just set the DMA at the start of the level and leave it alone. It is also not using RMT or parts done from other people.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

The 3 people we had beta testing it played the game for hours and had not reported any more issues. In the 6 months since the game been released, not one bug been reported by the general public. People had bought it in Europe and played it on Pal machines, still no problems reported. The game had been adapted to run both the same speed on both Pal and NTSC machines.

Some known issues display issues come from running the game on an Atari connected to certain TV tuner cards that does not show at 60 frames per second. This interferes with the Super-IRG effects of using alternating Antic 4 fonts to generate more colors. The game is geared toward running on TVs and Monitors connected directly to the Atari.

I am attaching the Delta Space Arena Demo again for those who had not tried it yet.

• 1 year later...

I know I put this game together long before I made Megaoids and Tempest Elite was still incomplete. I made these new games with an option to play with the Trackball, Driving, Controller, Keyboard, and Paddles. I am considering releasing an updated Delta Space Arena cartridge with an option to play with different controller, and that is if I get at least 10 responses from people here that would really like to play this game with different controllers.

• Like 1

I would buy a copy that supported either the driving or paddle controller.

I know I put this game together long before I made Megaoids and Tempest Elite was still incomplete. I made these new games with an option to play with the Trackball, Driving, Controller, Keyboard, and Paddles. I am considering releasing an updated Delta Space Arena cartridge with an option to play with different controller, and that is if I get at least 10 responses from people here that would really like to play this game with different controllers.

I'll take two cartridges, just PM me when you are ready. :) :thumbsup:

Looks like we have some interest. I am going to update the display so it looks better for those that run their Atari with wide screen displays. I know a large portion still runs games on CRT monitors or will be investing in that device that blocks out some of the overscan area. Delta Space Arena uses Overscan Mode to put graphic font characters in as borders for the Arena. The right screen static becomes visible. The adjustment will be activating the HSCROLL bit in the display list and moving the whole screen over a few pixels. This had already been done to Megaoids 2016. Other than that it will remain playing the same game as it did before.

Overscan blocking device:

Edited by peteym5

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay. I was testing Trackball and Driving Controller ML programming for Tempest Elite. Have to make sure this stuff all works before replicating it into other games. I will be incorporating the programming code into some games already in production.

With Delta Space Arena being a cartridge game that has been on the market for almost two years now, everyone who purchased the game did enjoy using the joystick controller. If I add and test the modification, it will be a new version on cartridge. I hope everyone understands this game at the time of production was meant to be just for the joystick.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

At this point we just considering a version Delta Space Arena with different controller support will be made. Only 3 people posted on this thread, but I remember a few more had requested it since it was released. The last time I did something to an existing cartridge game on the market, it led to a rather heated debate. I am not sure how many people have driving controllers, these things are sort of rare, many people have paddle controllers. I have two games in progress that will support Joystick by default, than be able to select Paddle, Trackball, Driving, or Keyboard.

Edited by peteym5

The game itself looks nice and I'm considering buying it, especially with different controller options. What would absolutely seal the deal though for me would be an option to play in "classic mode" with b&w graphics and music/sound from Omega Race. Omega Race is in my top 10 of favorite arcade games, and it always drove me crazy that the Atari 8bit never had a port. I mean vic20, c64, colecovision, and even VCS had ports! ?

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

If you had been holding off on buying this game, I have some good news. We are working on re-releasing the cartridge with updated controller options, so you can play the game with the Trackball, Indy 500 Driving Controller, Keyboard, Paddles, etc. but will still default to the joystick. Since I am seeing many people buying Tempest Elite just because it can select to use different controllers, I am going through my library and making updates. Megaoids currently can use the Driving Controller, although the option states "DRIVING/TRACKBALL", that wall because I had reports that there is a Trackball out there that uses Grey Code, believe it was the ST trackball. Update will have Trackball for CX-80 model as a separate routine to work with that controller.

I never received any reports that Delta Space Arena had any major bugs. However the update will have the HSCROLL Widescreen trick to reduce the right side static to one pixel. Now both games had been slow sellers, and maybe adding these controller options generate more interest. Not too many cartridges out are out there right now, so I should look at making these upgrades available sooner than later.

• Like 2

It's nice to see a response to customer input, added controllers and special edition, if the trend of listening to the customer continues I might even buy something...I just have to wait and see...

V61 not answering email has always been a problem for me, I just figured it was because there wasn't any love for me so I didn't complain and didn't feel like a flame war mentioning it, but since others are also mentioning it... maybe it's not me and there might be some other cause or reason....

Check to make sure your not having the return email scrubbed from your inbox to junk or spam folder both on your ISP and your machines or your mail provider....

also make sure it's not going to one of your old email addresses....

after that maybe there is some unforeseen problem with v61 or it's proprietor (hopefully not ill or sick, there's a good deal of that these days)....

Are you sending to his gmail account or video61@tcq.net account. He told me he does not check the gmail account often because it is a back up account.

Three other games that can make use other controllers would be Space Fury, Star Castle and Space War. I am sure people here can think of a few more games. All are rotating ship space shooter games. Sal once came to me looking for me to do Space Fury on the 8-bit. I think it is a good ideal to let people select Joystick, Paddle, Indy 500, Trackball, Keyboard, or Mouse, because not everybody this stuff. After all these years, stuff is breaking down and need of repair.

I am currently looking at this 7800 Basic to see how much work it would be to port some games from my collection over to the 7800. Got to the point where I can port all the sprite images and title screen banners over. I am expecting a positive response because that is a cartridge only based system, so there will not people asking me to put the game on floppy for them for a cartridge based system.

• Like 1

Video 61 has many blank cartridge with EPROM sockets, 32K to 128K, and some with Pokey or Extra RAM sockets. So we will be using those first, and I am not sure about flash cartridge available specifically for the 7800. I am not sure if the Harmony cartridge is geared to take advantage of the 7800 system. Doesn't it only have the pins for the 2600? I believe someone is making a 2600 with an extra processor chip similar to Pitfall II, but sure what it is called.

Edited by peteym5