3. Solomon's Key (NES)

4. Adventure (2600)

5. DND (DOS)

6. Moraff's World (DOS)

7. Fallout: New Vegas (360/PS3)

8. Ultima III (NES)

9. RPG Maker (PSX)

10. Land Stalker (Mega Drive)

I have the Japanese import of Land Stalker so, yeah. Mega Drive :)

• Like 1

When I look back at all the console, PC and handheld games that were made over the years, I can say I've only played a tiny fraction of them (much less than the average gamer) and as a guy who stopped playing "modern" games after the PlayStation 1 (aside from Metroid Prime on Game Cube) my top-ten games of all time are going to be biased towards those few that I played a lot with.

#1) Super Metroid (Super-NES) : The game just blew me away when I first played it, and I finished it a bunch of times. I even made a map, like many other people. Of course, I loved Zero Mission and Fusion on GBA, and I'm looking forward to seeing AM2R finished, as the latest demo just blew me away.

#2) Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) : This game wasn't about the challenge, it was about exploration and atmosphere, which I loved. Oh, and there was also the completist aspect of finding and collecting every possible item and having a full inventory of mostly useless crap.

#3) The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (Game Boy / Game Boy Color) : The first time I finished this game, the ending actually brought a few tears to my eye! The game itself was amazing in terms of progression, storytelling and dungeon design.

#4) Mega Man 2 (NES) : The other "classic" Mega Man games were great, but this one is still on top in my book.

#5) Metroid Prime (Game Cube) : It took me a long time to master the controls in this game, but once I did, it gave me so many hours of fun!

#6) 2010 The Graphic Action Game (ColecoVision) : A totally unclassifiable game, but oh so much fun when you really get into it at higher skill levels.

#7) Dark Forces (PC) : The story, atmosphere and level design was so much more involving than other FPSes of the time like Doom or Hexen. I loved the sequel (Jedi Knights) too.

#8 ) Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) : I felt the game had more personality to it than other similar games like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy (which were also very good, BTW).

#9) Bionic Commando (Game Boy) : What I remember best about this game is how the controls were just perfection, better than the NES version. I mastered using the bionic arm in no time, and the difficulty level of the game was just right.

#10) Blaster Master (NES) : The only major downside to this game was that you had to finish it in one sitting, since it was very long yet had no password or battery save feature, but aside from that, the game was a ton of fun.

Great video, by the way, MJ. ;)

I can't pick an order either so here goes.....

Ultima IV

Star Wars: Tie Fighter

HERO

Morrowind (or Skyrim)

Dragons Dogma

Ninja Gaiden Black

God of War 2

Super Metroid (or Guacamelee)

Castlevania: SOTN

Doom and Descent can easily make my list along with a bunch of old Lucas Arts games like Day of The Tentacle, Sam n Max, Full Throttle etc..

• Like 1

# 6) 2010 The Graphic Action Game (ColecoVision) : A totally unclassifiable game, but oh so much fun when you really get into it at higher skill levels.

Love this game, was also addicted to War Games for a while but only on real hardware. Cant believe I forgot about the Colecovision!

I'm torn on the God of War series.

Some people are, I cant stand most God of War clones (but I did enjoy Dantes Inferno a bit). I'm into action games and I like Conan the Barbarian stuff (comics etc) so the God of War series really struck a nerd cord with me. I like this and more combo oriented games (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry 3). I was actually not sure if I should pick God of War 2 or Devil May Cry 3. Another great game.

I'm surprised I didnt pick a Final Fantasy.

• Like 1

Another great video, MJ! Kudos for mentioning a lot of unexpected stuff, you're obviously very passionate about your list. Here's mine (also in no particular order):

1) Silent Hill (PS1): Oh man, this game profoundly affected me. The atmosphere, that intense and unsettling music, and that mind-fuck of a story... this game took survival horror into a whole new realm by making the scares psychological, not just visceral.

2) Halo Combat Evolved (Xbox): Countless hours spent playing this! Simply put, it's gaming perfection. Let's admit it, it's the reason we have an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One!

3) Pitfall 2 (Atari 2600): Best. Theme music. Ever. Seriously, that someone could program such an insanely catchy tune on 2600 hardware is mind-blowing. Also, just about every 80's platformer owes a HUGE debt of gratitude to this utterly fantastic game (I'm looking at you, NES!).

4) Super Metroid (SNES): Yeah, this game has been praised to death but it deserves its accolades. This improves on the original in every way.

5) Deus Ex The Conspiracy (PS2): I'm with MJ on this one. An amazing fully realized world with a dizzying array of choices to be made. Great story and a great soundtrack also.

6) Dino Crisis (PS1): Resident Evil gets all the praise as far as survival horror series go, but this other Capcom game was just as good. And these enemies were fast... and clever.

7) Resident Evil (Gamecube): An incredibly good re-imagining of the first RE game, and one of the best survival horror games ever.

8) Bioshock (Xbox 360): Design, setting, and atmosphere. This game has it in spades. A wholly original shooter that just blew me away. That scene where you confront Ryan is one of the most unsettling things I've ever experienced in a game. "Would you kindly... ?"

9) The Legend of Zelda (NES): One of the first games I can remember that felt like a totally new experience. The sense of adventure in this game was thrilling. For me, this title blew the lid off what was possible in video games. A true classic.

10) Uncharted 2 (PS3): Oh man, this is my go-to answer when someone asks me what my all-time favorite game is. One of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had. That train-hopping level was both gorgeous and ridiculously fun.

My honorable mentions... Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Metal Gear Solid, Fallout 3, Alan Wake, Crackdown, Champions of Norrath, Armed and Dangerous, Mech Assault, Contra 3 the Alien Wars, and soooo many more...

• Like 2

Let me add Grim Fandango to the honorable mentions. You must have forgotten that one :-).

I also read some of the comments to the video. Shame on me for that, hehe... Anyway, someone mentioned that no C64 games were on the list. Not a problem. Pool of Radiance came out on the C64 as well. Played it on that machine, and it was awesome.

• Like 1

For personal lists like these, I'm always struggling to figure out whether greater weight should be placed on the fact that a given title is currently something I love to play, or rather, that a given title is a "long time favorite" that doesn't necessarily make me really excited today but has provided loads of entertainment through the years.

For the engineers and geeks, I guess what I'm asking is what reading from the "like" meter should take precedence: peak or RMS? (ok that was really geeky :P )

I'll take a crack at this anyway (no order):

1. Frostbite (Atari 2600)

2. Donkey Kong (Arcade)

3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (PS3 / PC)

4. Golden Axe (arcade / Genesis)

5. Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)

6. Missile Command (arcade)

7. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)

8. Klax (arcade / Lynx)

9. WWF Superstars (arcade)

10. Xevious (arcade / Atari 7800)

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

Top ten games of all time... hmm... in rough order of most to least favorite, with the version I enjoyed the most in parentheses:

1. Rock Band 3 (XBox 360)

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (arcade)

3. Burnout 3 (PlayStation 2)

4. DarkStalkers (arcade)

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Knuckles (Genesis)

6. Descent (Macintosh) / DXX Rebirth (PC)

7. Portal 2 (Xbox 360)

8. Ridge Racer (arcade)

9. Paperboy (arcade)

10. Marble Madness (arcade)

I'm pretty certain about the first eight, and #1 is definitely #1. I've been playing it reguarly since it came out, and I don't intend to stop any time soon.

I'm less certain about the last two. Those slots may change if you were to ask me again.

Edit: Yes, I edited this after posting. Nyah.

Edit #2: I posted this list before watching the whole video. It's nice to see some overlap! I have to disagree about Burnout Revenge though. I absolutely loved B3, but Revenge left me underwhelmed. Too much brown, too much laugh track.

1) Nethack

2) Quest for Glory 2

3) Starflight

4) DOOM

5) Secret of Monkey Island

6) Civilization II

7) Pool of Radiance

8 ) Wing Commander

9) Toejam & Earl

10) River City Ransom

I think you can guess what my favorite platform is.

Edited by Hatta
  • Like 1

In alphabetic order:

Attax (Leland, Arcade)

Bushido Blade (Sony, PSX)

K.C. Munchkin (Magnavox, Odyssey 2)

Quake 1 (Id, PC)

Rallisport Challenge 2 (MGS, X-Box)

Samurai Shodown 1 (SNK, Neo-Geo)

Snake (Nokia, 3310)

Tyrian 2000 (Epic Games, PC)

Victory Road (SNK, Arcade)

Wizard's Den (Tom Mix, Radio Shack Color Computer)

This is hard. Gaming for 34 years on dozens and dozens of platforms makes this a near impossible task but I'll give it a shot in no particular order

Donkey Kong (Arcade)

Galaxian (Arcade)

Circus Atari (2600)

NHL 94/95 (Genesis) - is that cheating?

Tie Fighter (DOS)

Dark Forces (DOS)

Sims 1/2/3 (Win) - ok that's probably cheating

Asteroids (2600)

Stunt Driver (DOS)

Worms Armageddon (Win)

I find it interesting that an honest self examination reveals that 7 out of the 10 games I just listed aren't console games (2 arcade and 5 PC)

Edited by AtariLeaf

No particular order...

Bomberman (TG-16) and Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Beamrider (2600 & Intv)

Baseball Stars (NES)

Mario Kart (various Nintendo)

Scott Adams Adventure Series (Vic 20)

Zork I, II, III (C-64)

Galaga (Arcade) & Galaga '90 (TG-16)

Punchout (NES) and Super Punchout (SNES)

Major League Baseball (Intv)

Tetris (GameBoy)

Aw man...Mine has no real surprises.

Super Mario 64

Chrono Trigger

Earthbound

Super Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island

Bomberman 64

7th Saga (shh)

Klax (Arcade,local pizza shop had one)

Die Hard (Same as Klax)

Mario Kart (8 has a strong lead)

Quake 3 (PC but I also loved in on Dreamcast)

Too each their own, but way too many post-1995 games IMO. And no NES or Sega Master System games on that list is damn near blasphemy. :) Surprised to see no SNES or Genesis games either, or perhaps even a TG-16 game. I know you love PC games, so why no King's Quest? :D

Edited by White Knight

You've seen my game collection and maybe wondered: What are MY Top 10 Games of All Time? I pick through 3,000 video games and come up with my ultimate Top 10 list!

Atari 2600, PC, Xbox, PS2, GBA, old and new are all represented!

Tell me: What is YOUR Top 10 of all time?

I love the shout-out for Ultima 4... I'm a bit partial myself.

1) Nethack

2) Quest for Glory 2

3) Starflight

4) DOOM

5) Secret of Monkey Island

6) Civilization II

7) Pool of Radiance

8 ) Wing Commander

9) Toejam & Earl

10) River City Ransom

I think you can guess what my favorite platform is.

Nice... I see #3... Alec Cursco, Greg Johnson, etc... would be very proud!

That was the first game "we" (meaning I picked out, and my parents paid for) bought when I was a little kid. I spent days and days playing that game. I've still never beaten it. I'll play it, get like 1/2 of the way through, and then I end up wiping my hard drive or something and have to start over at some point. Same with the second one.

Pool of Radiance is awesome too... that was my second game. I just don't think any of the other gold box series games after that were ever as "in depth" as the original one was. Even with the lack of VGA resolution / color (like Treasures and Gateway had), or the General MIDI music that the others had, it was still better.

I love you Metal Jesus - just wish all of your content wasn't always a video! Often do my best reading while sitting on the can or at work, trying to make out the tiny pixels on my iPhone. Literally don't have the patience to wait for a video to load on the damned thing. :lol:

Wonderful video as always MJ, thank you for sharing! I'm so glad to see the SSX series represented in your top 10. My friends and I must have put nearly 100 hours into those games back on the GameCube. Congrats on the 100,000 subscribers, you deserve it! :)

I could never pick a top 10 list, but in no particular order ---

1) Kaboom (2600)

2) Neverwinter Nights (PC)

3) World of Warcraft (PC)

4) Monkey Island series (PC)

5) Worms Armageddon (PC)

6) Choplifter (ColecoVision)

7) Bubble Bobble (SMS/NES)

8) Quake 3/Live (PC)

9) Chopper Command (2600)

10) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

...because Quake is cool.

Edited by Bixler

• 4 weeks later...