IGNORED

Sega Game Gear: Vertical bars on screen?

I just had a Game Gear recapped from someone that is recommended on the site AND has done work for me in the past. I'm a little pissed that after the recap was performed, he failed to inform me that the picture had what I can only describe as "3 thirds"... each third is a different brightness and cannot be corrected via brightness dial or any other easy method.

Anyone know why this occurs and if it can be fixed? The pic below is not my GG but is indicating a similar issue as mine. I know GGs are inherently plagued with problems, but I'd like for the one I have to at least have a consistent picture with no lines and whatnot.

Here is the pic of another persons GGs, not mine.

post-35857-0-52789500-1406295154_thumb.png

Probably a bad LCD, and I am not sure that can be fixed. I actually had the SAME experience as you a few years ago! I sent a GG to someone here to do the cap repair, although I doubt it's the same person you did. He did it perfectly, but the screen is still lousy looking because the LCD has some dark vertical patches. Neither he nor I could have noticed it before, because the cap-effect was so bad. Ironically, I had a 2nd GG which had a far worse cap-effect but the LCD was actually in better shape but I did not realize that! Oh well. I eventually picked up a Majesco GG whose screen is in really nice shape. The Majesco's don't blur/ghost as bad as the earlier ones either.

In any case, ever since my own experience, I've been largely against cap replacement on old GG's. I think it's a waste of money, because even with a "good" original LCD, you will still have the blurriness/ghosting on games. Really sucks trying to play Castle of Illusion or Sonic with all that blurriness. IMO, finding a Majesco with a good LCD (most are) is a better route than recapping the older ones. Or spending a lot more money, and replacing the Sega LCD with a modern screen, is truly the best option. But not many people will do that mod (not fun).

Of course a cap replacement isn't gonna fix other problems your Game Gear may have. You paid the guy to recap your GG and that's what he did.

I recapped three of my Game Gears this year and they all came out looking like this. :P

xbLlHRw.jpg?2

The Majesco's don't blur/ghost as bad as the earlier ones either.

Yeah but color they produce isn't as vivid as the originals and looks washed out in comparison.

Edited by thecrypticodor

Of course a cap replacement isn't gonna fix other problems your Game Gear may have. You paid the seller to recap your GG and that's what he did.

Regardless, I feel there's naviety on this subject. People don't realize this may happen, and the modders don't explain beforehand that it's a prevalent issue. As I said, without modding the caps, you could never have seen the issue on my GG. If I had it to do all over again, I would have looked for someone doing a complete LCD replacement. Because the recapped GG I have still looks like shit quite honestly.

Yeah but color they produce isn't as vivid as originals and looks washed out in comparison.

I would agree on the colors, but I'll take that over the blurriness. At least that's what my eyeballs tell me! ;)

Edited by Greg2600

Of course a cap replacement isn't gonna fix other problems your Game Gear may have. You paid the guy to recap your GG and that's what he did.

I recapped three of my Game Gears this year and they all came out looking like this. :P

Am I supposed to just automatically know that though? It's in the guys best interest to communicate with me that the screen has issues, otherwise I just might assume it's his fault. If someone wants repeat business it helps to be a bit more forthcoming.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by 7800

Anyone ever deal with a guy on ebay called lunchboxampman? He offers a plethora of GG services including screen replacement.

I contacted him the other day and told him of my GG problem, his first thought was it could be the WRONG kind of caps installed. Not really sure about that but as clearly demonstrated, I know very little about this stuff... being cautious though since I don't want to spend more money only to get even more disappointed.

UPDATE: Nevermind, this guy turned out to be a rude asshole. Apparently I ask too many questions. LOL! Meanwhile his ebay page says this...

"If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask and please do send me a message! I'll be happy to answer!"

I wouldn't trust this guy!

I should have known not to trust a guy who proclaims himself as, "a master electrician and a hobby enthusiast". Pat yourself on the back much? LOL!

Edited by 7800

To be fair, a master electrician is a level of certification and proclaiming to be a hobby enthusiast isn't particularly over-the-top. Not saying the guy wasn't rude (although your claim is rather vague), but as someone who finds himself on the receiving end of technical questions at work, I understand why guys who provide services like this may tire of inquiries that feel excessive. I'm glad I don't do work like that!

To be fair, a master electrician is a level of certification and proclaiming to be a hobby enthusiast isn't particularly over-the-top. Not saying the guy wasn't rude (although your claim is rather vague), but as someone who finds himself on the receiving end of technical questions at work, I understand why guys who provide services like this may tire of inquiries that feel excessive. I'm glad I don't do work like that!

Then the guy offering the services should consider NOT offering services if he's not prepared to deal with stupid people such as myself. There is nothing wrong with asking questions... especially if your considering throwing down a butt load of money to mod an obsolete handheld game system. I don't care if he's a master rocket scientist, anyone who feels the need to brag about it to try an gain customers on an ebay site is most likely and egomaniac... and based on this guys rude, cocky responses... I'd say he was. People like that won't get my business.

Then the guy offering the services should consider NOT offering services if he's not prepared to deal with stupid people such as myself. There is nothing wrong with asking questions... especially if your considering throwing down a butt load of money to mod an obsolete handheld game system. I don't care if he's a master rocket scientist, anyone who feels the need to brag about it to try an gain customers on an ebay site is most likely and egomaniac... and based on this guys rude, cocky responses... I'd say he was. People like that won't get my business.

Fair enough. I wouldn't want to do business with a cocky douche, either. My main point was that I can understand why the guy would at least want to add some credibility to help sell his services (but I suppose without proof it is worth about the same as Master Rocket Scientist), although being an electrician really doesn't equate to modding ability when it comes down to it...

I'm not defending some anonymous person I'll never meet, but for sake of sharing I will submit that I work in an industry heavily based in certifications and some have pretty braggy names if you aren't aware that they are simply certification titles. Google tells me 'Master Electrician' is a title, at least in many US states and I see reference to the UK as well.

EDIT:unfinished quote..shudder..

Edited by omegadot

I get that "master electrician" is also a title. It can also come across as tooting ones horn as well. Bottom line is this guy really has no business offering a service to the public, if he doesn't know how to deal with the public. Getting hundreds if not thousands of emails with questions a day is a price one has to pay to operate a business... and if they want to establish and maintain a good reputation. If the tables were turned and I had the recap service... and I had tons of seemingly moronic questions bombarding my inbox... I would be annoyed, but would also remember that I would need to bite my lip if I don't want to lose customers.

On the same note, I would make my ebay ad very easy to understand and try to prevent any customer confusion. Perfect example is this guy advertises "screen replacement", but in actuality its the outer clear bezel that goes over the LCD "screen". IMO that is very misleading. Why not just be more descriptive in your ad to avoid confusion if you don't want to answer questions. I misinterpreted it as actual LCD screen replacement, so when I asked him about the screens color and sharpness, etc... the guy was like, "WTF are you talking about? ...and started getting all assholish with me. When you presume that people should automatically know that "screen" means "clear bezel", and you reply to emails with an attitude... than your an arrogant punk who has no business selling a service on ebay.

I'm not bitter about it, just putting it out there that being humble and professional goes a long way when your trying to sell a product or service. It's common sense.

Oh and... being a master electrician doesn't necessarily equate to being an "electronics pro"... which would probably be a better skill description when offering service for "electronics" repair.

Edited by 7800

Okay, well, you could have just taken my word for it (bad LCD)! :-D

What are you talking about?

You said it was a bad LCD, so I went to the guy on ebay to see about a screen (LCD) replacement. The guy turned out to be a dick so I said forget it. Then your question suggested that you thought I paid for his services... I said to you that I didn't... then you say I didn't take your word for it??? Color me confused, we seem to have a communication problem here.

Master Electrician doesnt really have much to do with electronics just like my electronic title has little to do with me being able to safely wire a house, they are really different skillsets with a common theme (electricity)

That being said, I have seen where a few caps near the screen can cause wonkyness, mosty a phase issue not flat out dead bars in the middle, based on what you said and a single picture there is a problem with the LCD and or the connections tween the LCD and the mainboard, and that can get into tricky stuff without a guarantee of success ... fidgeting with it may make it worse

You're post about the ebay modder made it sound like he did the mod, and you contacted him with the issue, and his response was standoffish. Can't keep track of who you're mad at.

Who's mad? Really bro... No one is mad. The guy who did the recap is one person, the ebay douche is another person. :)

I had a release-year Game Gear with the same issue. It was always like that from day 1 and took some getting used to.

A few years ago I was testing something on it and accidentally ripped the LCD ribbon cable off of the board. I resoldered the ribbon back on, a rather painstaking process, and to my surprise the screen was of completely uniform brightness.

So it may not be the case all of the time, but in my experience it was 100% corrected by resoldering the ribbon cable.

I had a release-year Game Gear with the same issue. It was always like that from day 1 and took some getting used to.

A few years ago I was testing something on it and accidentally ripped the LCD ribbon cable off of the board. I resoldered the ribbon back on, a rather painstaking process, and to my surprise the screen was of completely uniform brightness.

So it may not be the case all of the time, but in my experience it was 100% corrected by resoldering the ribbon cable.

Quite possible. The original Nintendo Gameboy frequently has this issue nowadays. You basically have to reglue the cable. In the GB's case, the affect is binary, in that whole sections of the screen simple won't display anything. I personally don't feel like resoldering the ribbon!