IGNORED

Vectrex 2014 Project Games Overlays Instructions Apps Docs

Bodyshots

All Public Domain Vectrex Games and everything else for the Vectrex is scattered all over the internet. Everything is quite outdated and in my opinion can't be found easily. Lots of dead links and whatnot… Games are unorganized and hard to find on my computer at times.

I am asking for everyones help to make sure I have an up to date list to share with the community here on Atariage. All bins, overlays, apps, instructions, pictures and documentation will be shared.

Any help, no matter how small would be appreciated. I still have some files to add, but to begin I will post pictures of what I have so far, to make sure I am not accidentally posting a homebrew that is not public domain.

In each folder for the game, I keep the BIN for the game, Box Art, Instructions (Text and manual reprints) and Overlays.

Once its confirmed my homebrew list is PD, Non Commercial/Shareware (Mentioned on Folders) I will include a zip file for others to see the current files so that they may include any bins, documentation, instructions, overlays, etc, etc… I wish to have the date of release, programmers names, etc included.

Here's what I have so far, perhaps someone could add something before I post the first zip file for public viewing….

post-39247-0-96033700-1406311185_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-08044100-1406311192_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-58617400-1406311196_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-87553700-1406311198_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-57033100-1406311201_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-51970800-1406311178_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-90124500-1406311182_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-07885700-1406311188_thumb.pngpost-39247-0-09365200-1406311194_thumb.png

EDIT: If there are any games here that can be shared publicly, that are NOT Public Domain, then I would like to include these also…. Even if it means I share a 'link only'

• Like 2

PLEASE NOTE:

Even Jay Smith HAS NOT placed any of the original titles into "Public Domain" status. He has only made the original titles as as free to duplicate. This was originally allowed so that others could create low cost reproduction Vectrex cartridges of the original Vectrex titles and low cost multicarts so people could play games on the Vectrex without a question violation. But stating that any of the original titles are "Public Domain" is wholly inaccurate. Even if others have done so. I have verified this a few times in the past with Jay.

The same can be said for the works of other Vectrex software and hardware creators, unless they have specifically stated their works are public domain.

Edited by Vectrexer

It is really hard to find some information about some games.

I think the Fury games like Zantis are not PD as such, even you can download that from Fury´s web page.

Also Christopher Thumber games might be soon re-released commercially as far as I understood it.

Thank you, the games that are mentioned in the pictures that are shown as PD is how I found them off the net. I suspected some are not PD and I am now beginning to change this and mark the folders properly, with everyones help too. :) (Before I share the first zip file for viewing to be edited)

I've already had a couple of great replies as to how to get ahold of certain people and ask their permissions. This task may take a while, but I prefer to do it once and do it right. The Vectrex is an AMAZING little console that I absolutely love. And if in any way I can promote it to people that have yet to play on a Vectrex, to help continue in the release of new Homebrews, or just pure enjoyment of the Vectrex, then it benefits everyone who also shares the same hobby.

Unrelated, I also wanted to say thank you for your Videos/Promotions about the Vectrex (And to Mrs. Vectrex) I love them and they make me chuckle.. (She had a very nice hand bag) I too work on somewhat of a similar 'sticker system' around these parts (shrugs) I can relate. :D

• Like 3

Thank you, the games that are mentioned in the pictures that are shown as PD is how I found them off the net.

And I found a website that says Elvis Presley was behind 9/11. So what?

The people running ROM checksum lists and ROM sites don't care. They've been mislabeling stuff as PD, particularly homebrews, since the mid-90's.

None of my material is public domain and you do not have permission to redistribute any of it.

The people running ROM checksum lists and ROM sites don't care. They've been mislabeling stuff as PD, particularly homebrews, since the mid-90's.

None of my material is public domain and you do not have permission to redistribute any of it.

You beat me to the punch before I even had a chance to email you about redistributing your releases as non-commercial.

I do not want to offend or anger anyone who has released any games. I want everyone here to please understand that the initiative I am taking on this project is a 'Do it Right' project. (This is why I posted screenshots first)

I would love to see as much as possible here, but at anyones request the files they wish to be excluded, will be excluded.

I certainly do not want to become anyones whipping boy and I would hope that the original pictures I am showing at the top of the thread shows how the files are 'out there' on the net. (If only for to bring awareness to the programmers if it was not already known)

I would appreciate it if this project could be a proper and current download that everyone knows is accurate.

Unless by accident, you will never (or rarely) find the culprits who silently view these posts and click 'download'

Please understand that I realize everyones concerns and with the help of the online community here, I would love to continue this project in a positive and fun manner, be it for a lil' black Vectrex console I only recently discovered myself this year.

I don't want it to become 'your' project or have you worry about any following up to do on any releases. Come finalization time I only ask that I may PM those people it may pertain to, for their review before I upload a zip file (which may then be continued to be worked upon)

And thank you too for your releases Christopher, I enjoy them very much.

Damn I knew it that the king is still alive, but my wife does not believe me!

Anyway, there are people that´don´t care about copyrights and there are some that do care so they ask.

When I made my videos about your games Christopher I really had a hard time finding anything out about them, all I found were some older newsgroup entries, so having the information on one place (like the Wiki for example) would help those who would like to respect your rights. And in addition some of them would also like to know about a legal way to buy some of those games today.

Edited by vectrexroli

How about spending the effort expanding and organizing the wiki, with links to the applicable developer, modder, &etc sites instead?

http://vectrex.wikia.com/wiki/Vectrex_Wiki

This I could do when I get all my eggs in to one basket.

Also, maybe next time I am in Toronto I can take Christopher out to the Fox n Fiddle for some wings :D Serious! :D

That's true, he PM me :)

Yes, thanks, Fresssakk, Lichtbringer-Trailer (VecVox support), Untot(demo) and Vecfahren will be added and listed as Non-Commercial releases with the proper credits. I forgot to ask, can I add Vogelfutter as work in progress? I'm considering a 'work in progress/demo' folder.

I want everyone here to please understand that the initiative I am taking on this project is a 'Do it Right' project.

Then I would like to offer you, and everyone else who follows with similar projects - as this is a recurring issue - the following two pieces of advice:

1 - Stop calling things "public domain" which are not. Clarifying the rights, ownership or permissions issues of any works you plan to redistribute is your number one job. The copyright status of the original Vectrex games is not an obscure bit of trivia. Nor are homebrews.

2 - Before announcing, "Hey guys, I'm going to be mass distributing all these works even though I have no idea what I'm doing or any of the provenance. How awesome is that?" Something like, "I'm looking for contact information for Vectrex authors, developers, modders and rights owners for a potential project. Can anyone help?" might raise a few less hackles.

• Like 1

Then I would like to offer you, and everyone else who follows with similar projects - as this is a recurring issue - the following two pieces of advice:

1 - Stop calling things "public domain" which are not. Clarifying the rights, ownership or permissions issues of any works you plan to redistribute is your number one job. The copyright status of the original Vectrex games is not an obscure bit of trivia. Nor are homebrews.

2 - Before announcing, "Hey guys, I'm going to be mass distributing all these works even though I have no idea what I'm doing or any of the provenance. How awesome is that?" Something like, "I'm looking for contact information for Vectrex authors, developers, modders and rights owners for a potential project. Can anyone help?" might raise a few less hackles.

Agreed. This is why I made it clear on this thread this isn't what I'm doing. But I did type things out quickly, and if there was anything I implied that could be read wrong, my apologies.

I have nothing to gain from this, just a hobby that I love. (The Vec) I won't continue with the project at all if there is negative response. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, I am just mentioning this in general to all.

We all began doing this, somewhere and at sometime. This is my first undertaking with getting an updated list of everything Vectrex.

If there is no interest here or negative vibes, then this project will just be something that I will complete on my own, as time permits and won't be shared.

I feel that it will be the most up to date with everyones involvement. And if there is not a positive vibe from all to help out and get this updated, then I'm sure the list will be lacking. A simple sentence such as Roli had indicated which took a minute of his time was perfect and exactly what I needed.

Anyways, hopefully everything has been cleared up and sorry for rambling so long, and I hope to get back on track with this.

That being said I respect your wishes and input. Can I pm you for a review later to be on the safe side of things?

And to be 100 percent clear, may I include what is shown in the pictures as Non-Commercial? (Your releases)

As I mentioned above, the next step is to make sure all information is accurate within the folders. I didn't want to post a gazillion pictures showing all the contents of each folder. Text, credits, Art, etc…

I laid down the ground work with what I could find to get a starting point and will continue when I get the 'text' correct.

I do however consider myself to know what I am doing. I am not afraid to post publicly, research online and ask questions. This is how we all learn. This is also the reason I joined Atariage, based on my current interests/hobbies.

If we were all afraid to be "poopoo'd" on, in a public post, the forums would be quite quiet :P

I understand your post HAD to be made so that others viewing this will know. Thanks, and I respect this.

I am all about noble causes, I've been involved in several relating to the Vectrex - Manual2 Project, adding entries to the Vectrex Wiki, creating websites to inform, and working on the Definitive Guide to the Vectrex. You have a noble endeavor. However, the difference between Public Domain and private use is a hot subject. Some developers like Chris Tumbler have been trying to get their material removed from these public sites for years. There's a huge misinterpretation of the developers intent which also includes the original "vintage" games.

I present an issue to you. Should you be unable to contact a developer, will you assume the wish is that you propagate and redistribute the material as if it was their wish?

• Like 1

I present an issue to you. Should you be unable to contact a developer, will you assume the wish is that you propagate and redistribute the material as if it was their wish?

I am relying on others. If I get no input or no contact, then I will redistribute from the source of which the material came from. (Unless I am made aware of 'something')

I sit on both sides of the fence in regards to this project.

I want to quickly and easily 'play and enjoy' a game, program or information.

In good faith if someone asks me to not post their personal property, then I won't.

I used to work for the city here in town at one time. Lets just say I was hired as a 'hands on - work with the tools' kind of person. Trying to get something done was frustrating. Unless you had friends within the department, or took a 'I scratch your back, you scratch mine' stance, then getting anything done was quite slow. (If it got done at all) I'm beginning to feel like compiling a public list for the vectrex is becoming difficult and possibly best left alone and only pursued in quiet personal secrecy and kept only to myself.

These are just my views, but I used to play a certain popular online game. The original people in control (developers or someone who has been around for a long period of time) made it difficult for newcomers to get involved. This was the case even after I was involved in the online community for over 12 years for this particular game. (Which was shareware) Without exaggeration it was 'their way or the hi-way' to make a long story short. As a result of this, people joined and people left. Some longer then others, some with futile efforts and an extremely tiny percent of people got to hang with the 'cool crowd' I eventually left because it was 'just not fun anymore' as others did, taking the community down from what was 5000 people to a now active group of 100 people.

I like the Vectrex. I want to see popular releases and ease of availability for people like myself to enjoy all that the Vectrex has to offer.

Using Chris Tumber as an example, from every source I downloaded from, to the best of my recollection, every source had Chris's releases as PD. I did not alter any of the folders I posted in the above pictures, unless to correct it or add additional information.

I was curious if his games have ever been Shareware and now he changed his mind? If I was to retain the original file when it was shareware, I would assume it can still be shared? (Unless he changes one line in the file and then says, "Now you may not share it")

I'm not going to debate that question, but I will honour his wishes to not share his file since he asked me not too.

I believe 99% of the people out there who want to play these games could not care less about going through the trouble to ask, as I am doing. I realize many other great contributors out there have asked, and I am not pointing fingers or insinuating anything. These are my opinions.

Like I said, you don't want me to share your games on the internet? Fine. No problem! It was nice to meet you, I'm glad to know you exist and are a person, and perhaps we can be in contact again in the future and talk about 'whatever'

If we had an accurate zip file and wiki that everyone is content with for 2014…. "Here it is" Copy and paste and download and play the heck out of it till your heart is content. Perhaps the old files that have poised problems to dispose of will disappear and the most accurate and up to date list will be the only one available. (It's not my battle to get these old files removed from sites where they should not be) I know I had to scavenge through tons of sites getting just what I did. However, I was passionate about getting all I could find. Now here we are, and I'm asking for your help to share what is meant to be shared with approval.

A sensitive issue to some it seems. Feels like I walked in to a room full of people when the most important figure in their life just died, and I ask, "What happen? Someone die in here?"

In closing, my thoughts are: The Vectrex is now a discontinued machine. If those that enjoy it want to keep a loyal following for enjoyment and historical purposes, then allow them to do so. Part of my enjoyment of the Vectrex is being able to share, discuss and play the console with others. Thank you to every developer that has shared something for others to experiment with. Thank you to every person that has ever made a homebrew for collectibility and enjoyment. If for any reason I do not have the same view as yourself, then I ask that you remember I'm just a person with my own personal opinion. I am not here to do battle with you. I respect the groundwork others have already laid and I am not here to change anything or go against your wishes.

Perhaps I should make an intro page about myself so others know a little something more about me. I know I definitely might not have been the first person with the idea of compiling a list for the Vectrex!

In my opinion if this project is done right and it is not so much about having all ROMs in one download but more also a reference how to find certain games of homebrew developers that are still active it would not a bad thing for the developers.

That´s free advertising for their products.

Since I have my Youtube channel I get tons of questions like "where can I buy this cartridge?", so it seems people don´t easily find Fury´s web page, many don´t know that Packrat video will soon produce the John Dondzilla games, they never heared about "Der Luchs" or the Vectorzoa cartridges made by Madtronix until they saw it in one of my videos or have seen it on some Vectrex related web portal.

So one source with a list for all the active developers out there could be a good thing, if it is done in a right way and respecting Copyrights.

If there are then still developers that due to bad experience from the past do not want to be mentioned at all and want to be forgotten as there are no plans to release that game ever again, well so it should be then as we all should respect also that.

• Like 2

I am relying on others. If I get no input or no contact, then I will redistribute from the source of which the material came from. (Unless I am made aware of 'something')

Why is it appropriate for other people to do your work for you?

Using Chris Tumber as an example, from every source I downloaded from, to the best of my recollection, every source had Chris's releases as PD. I did not alter any of the folders I posted in the above pictures, unless to correct it or add additional information.

Because you downloaded it from an EMU ROM site (or Torrent derivative) like Zophar's or something who, along with ROM checkers like clrmamepro have been misplabelling homebrews for at least 15 years.

The "funny" part is that's exactly what people selling ROM CDs on eBay for $20 would say when I'd have eBay shut them down. Le plus ça change.

I was curious if his games have ever been Shareware

No. Not that it matters. Shareware isn't public domain either.

Edited by Christopher Tumber

Why is it appropriate for other people to do your work for you?

Because you downloaded it from an EMU ROM site (or Torrent derivative) like Zophar's or something who, along with ROM checkers like clrmamepro have been misplabelling homebrews for at least 15 years.

The "funny" part is that's exactly what people selling ROM CDs on eBay for $20 would say when I'd have eBay shut them down. Le plus ça change.

No. Not that it matters. Shareware isn't public domain either.

I asked from help for others to help take the burden off myself, meet more Vec users on here and involve the community only for the fact that I assume there are others that enjoy the Vec as much as I. (Should they wish to participate.) Everything I posted in this thread has been with an optimistic attitude.

As for the eBay comment you made, I honestly don't think people are out to get your Chris. I only purchased my first Vec in May of this year. That is why you see the 'My Vec on eBay' folder in the original pictures above. Look when I joined on here, look at my want list. I don't even have Richard's VecMulti to play and enjoy these games on the Vectrex. (yet)

Back in 1982 I got my first Vic 20, I used to program and run my own Bulletin Board System. Then moved on to the Commodore 64. I found at a very young age I was not happy in an environment with 4 walls around me. I found the trades were for me and have been doing this ever since as it allows me to move around a lot. Call it a mid-life crisis if you will, but I only recently got back in to retro gaming and I am searching/obtaining every game I used to play back in the day. The Vectrex is not a machine I owned ever in the 80s. I had obtained an upright Star Wars Arcade Game back in the 90s and played it so much the heat from the machine would heat the entire room. When I saw the similarities with the Vectrex, I fell in love with the console.

Life is too short to be unhappy. I work hard, have fun when it's time to have fun, enjoy my family,friends,hobbies and do what I like to do.

I still can't fully understand or wrap my head around the ebay comment you made about something I said.

I say this in the politest way possible. I think any negativity would weigh in on anyones mind. No one comes to these forums to read about drama. When it's time to get in touch with people and read/participate about the 'going ons'... I come to Atariage for my escape.

I don't even know why this is even a discussion. If an author does not want their work distributed, then their wishes should be respected and the ROM removed. Just because someone allows a free ROM download of their software, this does not automatically mean you have license to distribute it yourself unless you have been been given express permission. If you received a free download of a book or album, would you automatically assume you could share that? People seem to assume because something exists digitally and can be easily duplicated and distributed it is public domain, especially so with software for some reason.

• Like 1

I don't even know why this is even a discussion. If an author does not want their work distributed, then their wishes should be respected and the ROM removed. Just because someone allows a free ROM download of their software, this does not automatically mean you have license to distribute it yourself unless you have been been given express permission. If you received a free download of a book or album, would you automatically assume you could share that? People seem to assume because something exists digitally and can be easily duplicated and distributed it is public domain, especially so with software for some reason.

Did you read everything? I said that his rom will not be included.