IGNORED

Rollercontroller help

metzger130

I bought a roller controller today at a convention and I have a question on it. I have slither and the fire buttons work, L/R works, but the character does not go up or down, I'm assuming it is supposed to. The 2 controller ports work on it though. It said on the controller u/d does not work, but for $2 I figured I'd give it a try. What can I do to try and get it to work? I just bought it so I don't know how to take it apart/what i should look for in the unit to clean/replace. Please dumb it down as much as possible, don't go using words that an electronics person would understand but a normal person wouldn't. I figure if i can't get the roller part to work, I paid $2 for much longer cords!

Thank you!

For $2 it was a no-brainer to pickup and see if a simple cleaning would resolve the Up and Down movement. There are a number of screws on the bottom of the unit and once you remove them, the top shell comes off the base very easily and then you can lift the trakball out of where it sits. At this point, you can use a can of electronics cleaner to blow out all the dirt, dust, cob webs, dead spiders, etc., etc. and then I would follow that up with a more thorough cleaning using Q-tips and Isopropyl Alcohol (the good stuff, 90%, not the watered down 70% stuff). While you're cleaning everything, check for those contacts and wires and corrosion to see if that might be the problem. You should also blean the trakball with a damp rage.

Unfortunately, the problem is probably a dead Optical Sensor that handles the sensing of up and down movement and their is no fix for this unless someone has tracked down a compatible sensor. If this is the case, then you have yourself a rathe large extension (cord) base for the two controllers that can be housed in the unit.

BTW, when playing Slither, the selector switch has to be set to "Roller" and this also holds true for Victory and Omega Race. For any other games like Centipede, WarGames, etc., the switch has to be set to "Joystick".

I've heard conflicting reports about centipede. Some say it will work with roller controller and others say it won't. Can anyone really verify this for me?

Centipede works GREAT with the Roller Controller, but the selector switch on the R.C. has to be set to "Joystick" just like any other game that wasn't made specifically for the R.C.. So...

Selector switch set to ROLLER:

- Slither

- Victory

- Omega Race (IIRC the game gives you the option to use the R.C. or Hand Controller)

Selector swicth set to JOYSTICK:

- Centipede

- WarGames

- for that matter, any other game to varying degrees of success. You have to spend the time testing to see which games work well.

EDIT: BTW, when the swicth is set to "JOYSTICK", you can use either the Hand Controller(s) that are plugged into the R.C. or you can use the Trakball and firebuttons built-into the R.C. The instruction manual explains everything and if you don't have it, I think Digital Press has it available in PDF format.

Edited by NIAD

Wait, so even when it's set to joystick you can still use the trak ball? is that what you are saying?

Setting it to joystick means the trackball movements are converted to regular controller commands so that you can use it on games that were not designed for the trackball commands.

Blew out the dust, cleaned everything with alcohol and used a little tuner cleaner on it and no luck. Guess I have a really long extension cord.

They're easy enough to find in working condition, but you'll have to pay roughly $20-$30 in most instances.

...You should also blean the trakball with a damp rage.

Interesting suggestion...

-------------

To the OP:

By the way, I traded a roller controller for a $2 DS game at the end of a game show a few weeks ago. Mine also did not go "up" or "down" and was labeled that way with a post-it note. I'd had it for many years and finally got tired of pretending I was going to try and fix it and decided I'd rather have something smaller and lighter (and that fit easily in one of my cardboard boxes in the garage).

Could be the same one?

20-30 would be nice for a roller controller. they were MUCH HIGHER at the convention. they were going for about 80 with box. That's more than I will pay for one that's for sure. I would like to find the roller controller, steering wheel, and exp mod 1. Anyone know how much I should think about spending on these? I saw the 2600 module going for 25 at the convention, didn't see any steering wheels and like I said about 80 for roller in box. I don't need box as long as I have game and controller that's good enough.

I had a couple roller controllers that had similar problems and on both, it was the resistor tied to the optical sensor that was bad, not the sensor itself. Also, has anybody tried the replacement optical sensor for the Tempest arcade or even the sensors used on old school mouses for the computer?