IGNORED

Altirra 2.50 Final out

serj

Here's an odd one Phaeron, I have no clue as to why or how it happens and its totally random, I notice that very very rarely when I was using the Xbox360 as the input named Xbox360 controller / Joystick / Paddle that I would suddenly get sprite / graphic corruption on the item I was controlling. It happened once and I put it down to a freak, then it happened again and again and again. Today it happened when I was testing out 180 on the Best gambase.

It seemed to be after I used the shoulder bumpers to speed up the computer players turn, the dart I was throwing turned to a square mishmash or random characters.

Oddly I've not seen it happen when I use the gamepad input type.

I don't remember always using the warp speed option when it happened but I'm not sure.

All I'm asking is if its possible that Xbox360 controller setting could cause this on screen garbage and its always on the object I'm controlling but I'm not sure the dart in 180 is a sprite, I got the impression it was made up of characters.

Could the warp mode cause some sort of timing / update glitch?

Edited by Mclaneinc

That's kind of weird. I use warp speed all the time... ordinarily I'd notice pretty quickly if it broke something. Also, if something breaks in the emulator, it's hard to break only sprites and not other things. One thing you could try: create a save state, restart the emulator, and restore it. That'll indicate if the problem is only in the emulator itself or if the corruption is in the 6502 realm.

If you haven't done so already, try stripping down the X360 input map down to just the controller type you need. It's far too common for people to hit the thumb buttons by accident, which then causes the wrong controller to be used and could conceivably break a game. To do this, highlight and delete the controller parts that aren't needed, and then edit the remaining ones to remove the flag condition (set Flag 1 and Flag 2 to half-checked).

A couple of things I forgot to mention. First, the latest build is built with Visual Studio 2013 instead of 2010. This shouldn't make a difference, but if anyone starts crashing on their non-SSE2 capable CPU then I screwed up the conversion. Second, this build now has support for Sharp Bilinear display on graphics cards that only support pixel shader 1.x (GeForce 3/4 non-MX, Radeon 8500-9250). Can't go any lower than that because no displacement mapping on fixed function hardware.

Now on 2.60_test7

;-)

Blackbox now works, I can use my BB.DSK saved with atari800, nice!

512 bps works fully.

When I select an image in 256 bps: I can read.

Write gives a very long beep and then fails.

(Yes, I have unchecked read-only).

SHIFT-F12 assigned to the menu-button.

(IRQ-level seems to be lower, correct? It does not always kick-in)

Great, now I can continue first-line debugging MyBIOS /w BB on emulation.

Saves me a lot of time flashing eeproms and using the real hardware.

Thanks for the tip in the manual about shift+control+0 in windows_7 :D

You are the best Avery! :thumbsup:

Another drop:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test8.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test8-src.zip

Changes:

• Fixed auto-reload ROMs
  • Added MIO emulation support
  • Modem now supports RTS/CTS handshaking (AT&K3)
  • Fixed 256-byte SCSI block writes
  • Implemented SCSI TEST UNIT READY command
  • Black Box DIP #2 is automatically disabled for 32K firmware
  • Black Box RAM size is now configurable (8K/32K/64K)
  • Fixed a couple of major PBI bugs in AltirraOS

The BB menu button works a little bit differently in Altirra than it does on real hardware. On real hardware, it simply holds IRQ down as long as the button is held down. In Altirra, the button is automatically released after about 100ms. This shouldn't be a problem in practice. In the XL/XE OS, the PBI IRQ is high priority, second only to the serial input ready IRQ, so it should be serviced pretty easily. However, if you have changed the IRQ path in your OS then this will be different.

• Like 1

So many options in this program. I'm having a devil of a time just configuring the program to work with my xbox 360 wired controllers. Seems like when I first fire up Altirra 64bit, the controller works for a coulpe of seconds then quits.

Both controllers work fine in Stella and other games.

Any ideas?

Phaeron, can you tell me if the included game is ok please, it suddenly pauses during game play at random times and will only un pause when START is pressed, also there's a spurious line on the screen at times during play.

You can either play it or just press F1 and you will see both issues.

I'm thinking duff image / bad programming?

IK+.atr

The on-screen glitching in IK+ looks like it indeed might be an emulation IRQ/NMI timing issue, but the game has problems on my real 130XE and 800XL as well -- it will soft-stop autonomously on the 130XE and hard crash on the 800XL with U1MB.

Currently it is not possible to load D2: or up from the command line.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test9.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test9-src.zip

Allows multiple /disk switches to address multiple drives, and fixes IRQ timing issue affecting IK+.

The IRQ timing issue was a nasty one. IK+ plays digitized samples along with DLIs, by means of a low sample rate IRQ (~4KHz). The classic problem with doing this is lost NMIs, which it guards against by checking for the DLI in the NMIST register. The glitches were occurring when the NMI was triggered a very short time after the IRQ. The 6502 cannot execute two interrupt sequences back to back, so if this happens too late, the DLI is delayed by a long time -- 7 cycles for the IRQ, followed by the first IRQ handler instruction, followed by another 7 cycles for the NMI. Altirra already emulated this. What it wasn't emulating was that if the NMI happened almost immediately after the IRQ sequence, it could hijack the IRQ sequence and turn it into the NMI entry sequence.

So many options in this program. I'm having a devil of a time just configuring the program to work with my xbox 360 wired controllers. Seems like when I first fire up Altirra 64bit, the controller works for a coulpe of seconds then quits.

Both controllers work fine in Stella and other games.

Any ideas?

Can you check whether the emulator is still seeing the controller when this happens? To do this, go to Input > Input Maps, edit one of the maps, select one of the mapping entries, click Edit, then hit some buttons on your controller. If it is still seen, the dialog will update to indicate the input you've pressed.

• Like 4

In another thread I noticed someone posted a disk with some Basic programs on it, so I thought I'd give them a try with Altirra basic. The good news is they all at least initially look to be running fine With ATBasic. But the bad news is the disk has an autorun disk menu which doesn't run correctly. You can see the text printed to the screen to run the menu, but it doesn't run automatically. You can arrow up to the line of text and hit enter and then it does run. I've attached the disk.

Bob

TENLINE2.ATR

Edited by bfollett

In another thread I noticed someone posted a disk with some Basic programs on it, so I thought I'd give them a try with Altirra basic. The good news is they all at least initially look to be running fine With ATBasic. But the bad news is the disk has an autorun disk menu which doesn't run correctly. You can see the text printed to the screen to run the menu, but it doesn't run automatically. You can arrow up to the line of text and hit enter and then it does run. I've attached the disk.

Bob

WTF... the boot loader on this disk depends on the BASIC prompt being on line 2, re-opens IOCBs without going through CIO, and depends on the value of ICBALZ after a CIO get record request.

• Like 2

WTF... the boot loader on this disk depends on the BASIC prompt being on line 2, re-opens IOCBs without going through CIO, and depends on the value of ICBALZ after a CIO get record request.

Lol....Phaeron in a tizz :)

I thought you would used to 'programmers' doing things in the strangest / worse way possible :)

Btw, thanks for looking at IK+, as always, appreciated..

How can the cartridge option be used from the commandline?

I am trying to start a program from WUDSN. I Use the D5xx Parameters in the program, but the cardridge has to be

a) build up to a multi 8k file (which I can do by myself via a small program) (Cardridge can be any like AtariMax or The!Cart)

b) send to Altirra the filename for testing/debugging.

Where can I look for the Altirra command line options for this?

LOL, I'm glad that disk loader wasn't my handy work. Kind of makes my questionable peek at address 200 to get the current color seem pretty minor now doesn't it.

Bob

Edited by bfollett
  • Like 1