IGNORED

Altirra 2.50 Final out

serj

System->Disk->Drive sounds

Turning it on enables the SIO beep-beep. Turning it off doesn't.

Edit: ok, I see what you mean about the floppy spinning noise. That isn't what I'm talking about though. I didn't hear the beep-beep-beep of sector i/o until I turned that option on. Now it won't turn off.

There is no option in the emulator to turn off the SIO beep-beep noise because that's an inherent feature of the Atari hardware and under control of the OS. What you were probably seeing was the behavior when the emulator was intercepting and accelerating disk commands. In that case, the serial I/O bus is bypassed and no beep sounds are heard. A 65816-based OS in particular may prevent this because the acceleration hooks do not activate in native mode.

Problem with the XEP80 handler and Basic XE. When you enter the cartridge it prints the header just fine, Pressing return however makes it return random characters. Not quite sure if it's junk chars or a bad conversion. The Mac/65 cartridge works ok, so maybe it's a Basic XE issue, although it's not immediately obvious to me why that would be.

Tracked this down to BASIC XE inexplicably turning on ANTIC DMA on startup and thus fouling up the XEP comm timing. Need to investigate why it would do this.

The "NTSC Artifacting (Standard)" option appears to have broken between versions 2.60-test32 and 2.0.60-test33:

Fixed -- it was 15 times too bright after the luma ramp change:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test41.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test41-src.zip

This is very minor, but its driving me nuts. When in debugger mode, could you consider having the atari window automatically get focus after a cold restart? 99% of the time after a coldstart, I want to issue a command.

Maybe more important : calls to the CIO PRINT function no longer seem to be adding a $9B...or at least I don't get a CR on screen. It's probably my code, but I thought I'd mention. Seems to work ok ( same binary ) on a real atari.

edit : using 2.60 from test2.zip

Need to spend some time going over focus between the debugger and UI, because there are a few bugs there. Are you using .restart, Shift+F5, or the menu option to do a cold restart? Latter two shouldn't be a problem, but for the former I'm not sure it's a good idea to auto-refocus.

Regarding EOLs, if you are using the built-in OS, upgrade to test41. Test2 is old and predates a fix I did to the ATOS CIO routines -- an EOL was not being added after a PUT RECORD command that hit the buffer length limit.

• Like 3

There is no option in the emulator to turn off the SIO beep-beep noise because that's an inherent feature of the Atari hardware and under control of the OS. What you were probably seeing was the behavior when the emulator was intercepting and accelerating disk commands. In that case, the serial I/O bus is bypassed and no beep sounds are heard. A 65816-based OS in particular may prevent this because the acceleration hooks do not activate in native mode.

I suppose the OP could setup a way to alter $0041 to zero which turns off the SIO beep...

(I still remember a little bit of coding)

Its odd, I loved Altirra because it was the first (only?) emulator to reproduce the beloved loading beep which so added to the feel of it being a real Atari.

Then again I guess in the day it was just an annoying beep :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Phaeron, did you see this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235156-ca65-symbols-in-altirra-debugger/?p=3180016

Regarding debug symbols from the cc65 suite. A couple of (hopefully) simple changes that would make things better for Altirra and cc65 suite users.

The other feature request is around banked projects. Displaying all the symbols would be preferable to only displaying one of them (is it the first read or the last?) Does Altirra support banked debug symbols with other compilers/assemblers? Maybe we can change cc65 to support the same method if so.

Are SIDE/SIDE2 supposed to deactivate the banking register at $D5E0/E1 (respectively) when the switch is in the XEX loader position (corresponding to Console Switches -> Enable Cart SDX: OFF)? This is horrifying news if the case... or have I overlooked something? With SDX deactivated on the cart, the code booting from bank $20 can't seem to bank the ROM.

Altirra doesn't support banked symbols or breakpoints yet. This needs work in both the MMU and debugger layers.

Are SIDE/SIDE2 supposed to deactivate the banking register at $D5E0/E1 (respectively) when the switch is in the XEX loader position (corresponding to Console Switches -> Enable Cart SDX: OFF)? This is horrifying news if the case... or have I overlooked something? With SDX deactivated on the cart, the code booting from bank $20 can't seem to bank the ROM.

Yes, this is correct. SIDE/SIDE2 are actually modeled as a pair of cartridges internally, a 'top' cartridge plugged into an SDX cartridge with pass-through. The top two bits of $D5E0/1 control the pass-through, and if the SDX half is disabled by switch, the pass-through is forced on (%10). The bank for the top cart is controlled via $D5E4. Both the SDX and top cart portions share the same flash, but the halves are exchanged for the top cart (bank bit 5 inverted). The WIP manual I posted in the a8rawconv thread also has a preliminary section on SIDE/SIDE2 that describes this.

Thanks AGAIN. Just made a 256KB build which uses $D5E4 and it works perfectly. I should have remembered about $D5E4 since the PBI ROM I wrote writes to it to disable the external cart and the information is there plain as day in Candle's docs. Just shows that if you expect problems, you're half way towards making them happen. :)

I don't suppose Ultimate also has a secondary banking register too. No mention of one in the spiflash.org docs.

BTW: Candle intonated years ago that SIDE2's banking capabilities were a little more flexible that that of its predecessor, but again no info in the official docs on just what that additional flexibility might be.

EDIT: Perhaps he meant read-back of the bank registers.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I notice the WIP manual also describes 16KB banking with SIDE2, which I'd missed before and is clearly what I was alluding to earlier. I think $D5E0 and $D5E4 should be "write only" for SIDE1 in the docs, btw, not read only.

It's great to have all this information together in the same document. I hope you end up pulling in stuff like Ultimate 1MB as well, then I'll see about getting a bound printed copy to go alongside Mapping the Atari. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi Phaeron

I have a small (I hope) feature request - could you please update the memory dump window somewhat? Nice-to-have features would include:

-Vertical scroll bar
-Refresh key bind (F5 ?)
-Auto timer for refresh
-ATASCII in the Chars column

And one more please - When printing to the virtual printer, can you clear the output window when a FF is issued? I use this extensively for debugging and it would nice to be able to have the clear feature under program control.

thank you!

Altirra doesn't support banked symbols or breakpoints yet. This needs work in both the MMU and debugger layers.

How about displaying all symbols in the debugger for a particular address then? For now, let the user figure out what bank they are in and look at the appropriate symbol? At the moment, without doing that, or creating some banking compatible symbol format, the symbols for bank switched projects aren't very useful.

The issue of the symbols starting with "__" from the cc65 suite wreaking havoc in the debugger, I can remove them from the symbol file myself of course... but that will always be an issue with cc65 suite symbols unfortunately.

I have tried to boot my Happy 7.1 diskette while using the kernelxl.os as my Atari800xl OS, and several seconds into the boot all goes quite and the screen is hung with a solid square dot on the screen..

Changing back to REV3.OS and the floppy boots...

This is all in preparing to Install my MegaSpeedy board that is currently being offered to AA forum members and ABBUC members..

If you're using kernelxl.rom directly, you're using an old version -- the last version I posted as a standalone ROM was a while ago, since I haven't yet officially created a separate distro for it. The current version seems to boot the Happy disk fine.

• Like 1

I recently discovered that Altirra supports reading wav files, which works really fantastic! :)

But somehow writing back to cas files seems not to work.

I created a new cas file with Atari800WinPL and tried to write some files to it (using Altirra).

I didn't get any error and any everything seems to be o.k., but file size of cas file did not increase end it's still empty!

Is there something I missed or is it a bug in Altirra 2.50?

Avery, what is the correct setting for the power up ram section, just found that the xex in the Fedora hat thread only works on a dma 3 setting but I've also found a game that didn't work on one of the other settings (can't remember its name at the mo but was recent and part of a menu disk posted about on here.