IGNORED

Altirra 2.50 Final out

serj

Cassette saving is not implemented.

AltirraOS is written to work the same way on a real Atari as it does in the emulator, so let me know if you see problems. It even has printer, cassette, and PBI support, although I could only test those in emulation. I need to rework the disk change check on the boot screen, though... currently it just invokes a cold start once it sees a disk, so BASIC will come on unless you hold Option. It should continue the boot process instead.

The DRAM init option shouldn't affect most programs since the OS clears the lower 48K of memory. It's only the 14K of RAM below the OS and extended memory that normally shows through, unless you're booting a diagnostic cartridge. All three patterns are "correct" -- they are modeled after my 800XLs and 130XE.

(Update: Okay, it does matter... the XL/XE OS doesn't clear location 0. Laaaaaame!)

Edited by phaeron
  • Like 1

I have an issue with the INIDOS.SYS not working. Not sure if it is an Altirra issue or SDX issue, but I don't have a real A8 to narrow it down. Anyway, if you boot a disk that has been set to have INIDOS.SYS as the boot file, it is supposed to re-enable the SDX cart if it has been disabled. An example would be if you used the COLD /N command. The result I get is that the SDX cart is not reactivated like it theoretically should be.

I'm using Altirra 2.60t41 and SDX 4.47, set up as a component of a U1MB. I think my description covers it, but I will try to attach a video of what I'm talking about too. ** I get a message that I do not have permission to upload that kind of file, so the above description will have to do for now.

That is probably an issue with the inidos.sys itself. I will have to try it. Did it work before 4.47?

Anyways, on U1MB, you can always re-enable the SDX using the U1MB BIOS menu.

Didn't work in 4.46 either. My boot drive is set up as a SIDE2 through the emulated U1MB.

How do I get back to the U1MB menu without a cold reset? The only reason I wanted to get INIDOS.SYS to work was so that the contents of the RAM disk stay intact. If I press shift-F5, I can cold reset Altirra and hit help (F6) real quick to get to the U1MB menu, but then RAM is wiped, and in any case once I hit shift F5 on Altirra, SDX is re-enabled again anyway just as if I had power cycled the A8.

Haven't tried on real hardware yet, but it doesn't look like INIDOS.SYS hits the SIDE 2 bank register ($D5E1), so if you've booted SDX via the SIDE 2 instead of U1MB, you won't be able to re-enable it this way.

To be honest, I don't really know how it is seen. Since I'm emulating a U1MB, which has a SDX ROM area, and it also has a SIDE, then which way is it emulated to be? As far as I know, SDX is part of the U1MB more directly than it is of the SIDE. But I just don't know how that works internally to the emulator.

Since the Ultimate 1MB BIOS menu is invoked with Help+Reset, I find F6+F5 works, F5 being Reset and F6 being Help (at least the way I have Altirra set up).

I didn't even know I could do that. I thought I had to hit help as it powered on so to speak. It could be a bit tricky to hit f6 quick enough after doing a shift f5. This is awesome now. Thanks!

Okay... here is something that works: if SDX is off because of COLD /N or some other reason, I can enter the U1MB menu, disable SDX (because it is already listed as enabled, and it doesn't "know" that it got disabled via COLD /N or something else), save and quit back to OS. Then I can enter U1MB menu again, and choose to enable SDX, then save and quit. When OS is entered, SDX is back, and RAMdisk is all good. Kind of a pain compared to having INIDOS.SYS work, but it gets it done.

Thanks, for the help.

To be honest, I don't really know how it is seen. Since I'm emulating a U1MB, which has a SDX ROM area, and it also has a SIDE, then which way is it emulated to be? As far as I know, SDX is part of the U1MB more directly than it is of the SIDE. But I just don't know how that works internally to the emulator.

U1MB emulates an SDX cartridge with a pass through, to which you have your SIDE/SIDE2, which also emulates SDX with a pass-through to another cartridge. This means that what you've got by default is an SDX cartridge with another SDX cartridge inserted into it, with another cartridge on top of that. Obviously this is overkill, and it'll cause problems when SDX tries to disable itself... and sees another SDX. At least the SIDE 2's SDX banking register doesn't overlap the U1MB SDX's one, so you don't get the weird double-banking problems with SIDE 1, but you should really only have one SDX enabled at a time.

Well, quite: never enable the SIDE SDX if Ultimate's SDX is active, regardless of whether it's a SIDE or SIDE2.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any SDX active through the SIDE. I don't even know how you could set it that way in Altirra. The U1MB BIOS has an option for "SIDE hardware" and I have it set to enabled w/o button. There is no setting for SDX through the SIDE functionality. The setting for SDX enabled is further up the emnu in the U1MB BIOS, which I assume is referring to the SDX that U1MB provides. I then have Altirra configured for a "hard drive" via a disk image, and I set it to the type SIDE2 hardware type. That has worked for me. I assumed it is the proper, best, only? way.

I'm going to try the new version of the inidos.sys in a minute too, and I'll post my results with that shortly.

When I press break to stop a Turbo-BASIC XL listing, sometimes Altirra 2.60.40 locks up. I can't say if it always locks up only if I had previously used ctrl-1 to pause the listing, but it seems that there may be a connection. Also, after a warm reset, SDX 4.47 gives error(s) 138 or 148 while making SIO sounds even on hard drives.

Typing COLD from DOS reboots and all is well again (until I press break, but not always).

Has anyone else seen this problem?

EDIT: I just tried 2.60.41, and so-far so-good.

EDIT2: break does not seem to crash, but pressing reset still goofs up SDX. I haven't had a chance to test SDX 4.47 on real hardware yet, so I can't say if this is an Altirra issue or an SDX issue.

Edited by Kyle22

When I press break to stop a Turbo-BASIC XL listing, sometimes Altirra 2.60.40 locks up. I can't say if it always locks up only if I had previously used ctrl-1 to pause the listing, but it seems that there may be a connection. Also, after a warm reset, SDX 4.47 gives error(s) 138 or 148 while making SIO sounds even on hard drives.

Typing COLD from DOS reboots and all is well again (until I press break, but not always).

I haven't run into that yet. I'll try it out a few times and see. I'm running the latest test, 2.60t41.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any SDX active through the SIDE. I don't even know how you could set it that way in Altirra.

Certainly you can. Look under System->Console Switches->Enable Cart SDX: this refers to SDX on the cart, which - if the emulated HDD is a SIDE or SIDE2 - is a SIDE cart. It's possible to create in emulation the conflicting situation Avery described, just as it's possible to do so on real hardware by leaving both SIDE and Ultimate's SDX enabled at the same time. This has tripped a few people up in the past so it's probably worth mentioning periodically.

EDIT2: break does not seem to crash, but pressing reset still goofs up SDX. I haven't had a chance to test SDX 4.47 on real hardware yet, so I can't say if this is an Altirra issue or an SDX issue.

Well, so-far, not so good. I was working in TB again, hit break, and lockup again. Maybe not as frequent, can't say for sure. I am working on the ATARDIS BBS, this time, it locked up while I was working on the USEREDIT program, which is fairly small (5870 bytes).

CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE SPARTA

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE ULTIME

DEVICE RAMDISK 9

DEVICE COMEXE

SET PROMPT=$L$P>

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

KEY OFF

TD ON