IGNORED

New Atari BBS software.

tschak909

Hi me again :-)

Just logged into the board, can't wait to connect to a real Atari running the BBS ;) anyone already has it running on real hw?

I liked to have a unique userid created when I create a user account, like other BBS did in the past. So login would be userid + pw

An option to reset password, normal 8-bit doesn't have internet so it should be possible in the user module with security questions and answers input when account is created

An option to set if users may PM you or not

An option to be visible as user or not

Setting an Alias instead of real name, and use alias in the message board

I know I ask for much there is no hurry but please add those to your to-do list when expanding the user module.

Got thinking about the messagebase, (also for future updates on to-do list) this is more like brainstorming and tips

Another thing for the message board, sometimes messages are deleted, will there be an option in the future that would do a cleanup on the messagebase file to really purge these message and shrink the messagebase.

Thinking of this maybe a maitenance mode that could run at a sheduled time, that automaticly puts the BBS in a mode to not respond to user logon but only tells the user there is a maintenance job running for xxx minutes The maintenance jobs can be cleanup message base, backup the BBS files to other harddisk or other media or others

I am writing a set of temporary menu_*() functions, to try and tie a UI together. These will go away once I figure out what the hell I actually want to do, which is to make a dynamic, and mostly modeless menu system.

Please don't expect this to be how the BBS will be intended to function, I'm just doing scaffolding to make it possible to hang stuff off for testing.

-Thom

I'll have the bbs at telnet://shodan.synchro.net:9000 in a few minutes. I got it working on Altirra, unless something is broken on the hw build it should fire up.

Edit: OK, got the board loaded on my Incog/800 at the above telnet. I had to change the startaddress to $2400 to get it to load again. Seems ok.

g9rQUou.png

Edit2: So the program displays the splash screen and stops sending data. So Will have to go back to Altirra for the moment.

Edited by Android8675
  • Like 4

The temporary menu code is coming along. I am drawing out a main menu. Most of the options wll start out as not working, but I am going ahead and drawing a first pass of a menu screen.

At some point, I will run out of figlet fonts. God I suck at this :P :)

-Thom

DO WE HAVE _ANY_ ATASCII ARTISTS ON ATARI AGE?! ANY AT ALL?!

Don't forget the "X" command (to disable the cart ROM at $A000) raises MEMLO somewhat. Perhaps that's being used here. $2000 is a good general load address for any application, IMO. It's what I always use.

$2000 might be too low with the R: driver loaded? (Not sure where the r: driver loads in Sparta X)

The menu scaffolding is working, and I've made a branch off into the Message board.

I'll make enough to view existing messages (that will be output by the flatmsg test harness for now), and now that I think about it, I need to write a message board configurator (basically just define a list of message boards to select from, same pattern as the filemenu editor.)

but part of me is dreading writing the full screen editor for editing emails and messages...and it's because we've gone beyond the world of 80x25 terminals. It's easier to write a full screen 'anything' when you know precisely what your screen size is going to be... :P

meh, pushing forward. :)

-Thom

Went ahead and made a message board list editor (mboarde), patterned quite literally after fmenue. Same idea, same UI, same everything, except you're editing a board list, containing:

* letter/number to use to engage board

* board filename (sans extension)

* board title

* board description.

Board lists have the extension .MMU.

Committed. With that, now I start to hammer out the board (message) menu.

-Thom

How about asking the user and storing it in his profile? Right after detecting ATASCII / ASCII would be a good place to put the prompt.

It could be as simple as keeping a 40 / 80 flag for each user, or asking the user to type in a width and save it in a byte in his profile.]

[EDIT] It would need to be asked after the user logs in, maybe something like:

How many screen columns (or press return for profile default.)

The profile would be updated only if the user types a number.

-K

Edited by Kyle22

It turns out, that FLATMSG test harness I wrote earlier, _really_ came in handy, to create the message boards, so I can flesh out the temporary UI, especially in lieu of a message editor (which I still need to write...)

Can I con somebody into writing a dirt simple full screen editor? No? Ok, I'll barrel through one. :)

-Thom

After each MSGTEST run, I renamed the files to match what I entered into MBOARDE.

I did not initialize anything. If I wanted an empty message board, I simply would have edited the methe message board file, as flatmsg will create the message board files in response to the first access of the message board. How much simpler can it be? :)

EOiFyvo.png

vvxBAwB.png

-Thom

Sorry, but I gotta hijack this thread for a moment. I'm trying to make some large disks for Altirra/APE. What should I be using for my sector count, boot sector count, sector size, to get it to format correctly in sdx? I figured 65535/0/512 should work, yes. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I figured since mounting a Spartados folder in Altirra doesn't seem to write that I need some large disks.

Seems like I'm just overlooking something simple.

Basically, as big as you can get it. I'm not sure whether you can use 512 byte sectors over APE with SDX, you can try, but...

65535 sectors, 256 or 512 bytes a sector.

use spartados x FORMAT to get it ready.

In Altirra, I set up an SIDE 2 hard disk, and pared it with the Ultimate 1MB expansion. It will beat the living shit out of any SIO driven disk in performance. ... and since you have an Incognito...don't you HAVE an SIDE 2 built on? ;)

-Thom

Well guys,

I've attached the User code to the BBS core for testing. You can log into the BBS at telnet://96.226.245.101:9001 and create a new user account, and subsequently log in again using the chosen username and password.

Here's a status video:

Feel free to try.

-Thom

Just logged in from my Linux terminal. looks good. In case anyone needs, you might have to use Ctrl-H as a backspace.

• Like 1