IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

Heh...I've never seen so much payment dismay banter ;) Did we really send a team to the moon? Go to a 7-11 or Walgreens/CVS/Riteaid, or use that free online bill pay at your bank... Or wait a week... Nobody is patient anymore. I waited 6+ months for my Atari Joystick order, that was worth griping about. ;) Not trying to add more fuel to this thing, but we all have our health...or had...

Check for two going out today. Funny to send money to Alviso! Lived in the south bay for years. I'm in Pacifica now. If you need someone to do a haul up to PRGE I'll have a booth there. I can drop them off where told. LOL

Check for two going out today. Funny to send money to Alviso! Lived in the south bay for years. I'm in Pacifica now. If you need someone to do a haul up to PRGE I'll have a booth there. I can drop them off where told. LOL

Ah yes... Pacifica State Beach and the cliffs of Santa Cruz are my two favorite spots to watch surfers. Beautiful places.

• Like 1

Ah yes... Pacifica State Beach and the cliffs of Santa Cruz are my two favorite spots to watch surfers. Beautiful places.

Half Moon Bay is nice too. I need to find some time to head out there with a big beach umbrella, a cooler, and my laptop. ;)

Of course, we're coming into the chillier months (to the extent it gets chilly here), so I'll probably have to wait for spring. By then, hopefully LTO Flash! sales will have slowed down slightly.

• Like 1

I see a rather alarming note about the needed drivers on the Mac on the Intv Fun House site:

Mac Users Note info.png

For MacOS X 10.9 and later, we recommend using the native FTDI drivers Apple provides with MacOS X.

For MacOS X 10.7 and 10.8, install the latest FTDI drivers from FTDI's web site if necessary. FTDI's drivers have minor stability issues unrelated to LTO Flash! We recommend using the Disconnect button before unplugging your LTO Flash! to avoid an unexpected reboot of your Mac.

Does this have something to do with DRM features? Is there a different driver that could be used, one that is signed by Apple? I have a Mac 10.8.5, and will be stuck on it for the foreseeable future.

Also, the driver license agreement mentions that it must only be used with an FTDI device or else it "MAY IRRETRIEVABLY DAMAGE THAT COMPONENT" (their emphasis). It also says that it is my "responsibility to make sure that all chips you use the Software as a driver for are Genuine FTDI Components," which is confusing since I have no idea what an FTDI component is nor why I need the driver. :\

Is the LTO Flash! a genuine FTDI component? I just want to make sure before I try anything out. Those words are rather scary. :o I am able to plug-in other USB devices to my Mac without additional drivers, so this driver installing thingy is a bit alien to me.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

People are talking like it's ready to be properly ordered.. but, I haven't seen a new topic or change on the LTO website. As usual I'm probably missing something..

Yes, order now: http://ltoflash.leftturnonly.info/

For MacOS X 10.7 and 10.8, install the latest FTDI drivers from FTDI's web site if necessary. FTDI's drivers have minor stability issues unrelated to LTO Flash!

This has nothing at all to do with any particular feature of LTO Flash, and affects all users of FTDI devices on Macintosh devices. LTO Flash appears as a bog-standard 2Mbps serial port.

We have done our best to avoid bugs in FTDI's driver. I use my LTO Flash daily on a 10.7.5 Mac with no problems. But, because we did see FTDI-related crashes during development, we felt it best to be up-front about it.

We are currently investigating using libftdi so we can avoid using FTDI's driver on older MacOS versions. Preliminary tests suggest it runs faster, and eliminates all known issues. libftdi runs without any driver, and is fully open source.

Is the LTO Flash! a genuine FTDI component?

Yes, 100% genuine FTDI components sourced from a reputable vendor (Mouser.com). The devices have been flashed with FTDI's own FT_PROG under Windows with no ill effects. I appreciate your concern.

EDIT: Here's a picture. They're a bit tricky to photograph because they're so tiny. The components next to it are 2mm x 1.25mm, to give you an idea of the scale. EDIT2: Another pic from a different camera.

post-14113-0-63775100-1472990091_thumb.jpg post-14113-0-06882600-1472991199_thumb.jpg

And before you ask, all of the components on the device are genuine, from reputable vendors. (Mainly Mouser.com, although I believe I sourced some directly from Microchip.)

I am able to plug-in other USB devices to my Mac without additional drivers, so this driver installing thingy is a bit alien to me.

If you download the LTO Flash UI, the package includes the drivers. There's a helpful arrow telling you where to click, if you need to install them. IIRC, my Mac already had them installed and everything just worked. FTDI chips are in an extremely wide variety of products, and LTO Flash uses the standard, unmodified driver.

post-14113-0-21169000-1472988453_thumb.png

We point to FTDI's website in case they post updated drivers someday.

Edited by intvnut

Unless I'm missing something, there's one piece of hardware that's not compatible with the flash cart. The system changer.

That's not quite true. It's also incompatible with the PlayCable. I guess that makes two peripherals known to be incompatible with it. Sorry. ;) ;) ;)

I guess you'll have to find a Cuttle Cart for the System Changer. (Not a Cuttle Cart 3, but rather, the original Cuttle Cart for Atari 2600.) And for the PlayCable... put that sucker on display in your collection museum, you lucky PlayCable owning bastard! :lolblue:

Edited by intvnut

Yes, order now: http://ltoflash.leftturnonly.info/

This has nothing at all to do with any particular feature of LTO Flash, and affects all users of FTDI devices on Macintosh devices. LTO Flash appears as a bog-standard 2Mbps serial port.

We have done our best to avoid bugs in FTDI's driver. I use my LTO Flash daily on a 10.7.5 Mac with no problems. But, because we did see FTDI-related crashes during development, we felt it best to be up-front about it.

We are currently investigating using libftdi so we can avoid using FTDI's driver on older MacOS versions. Preliminary tests suggest it runs faster, and eliminates all known issues. libftdi runs without any driver, and is fully open source.

Yes, 100% genuine FTDI components sourced from a reputable vendor (Mouser.com). The devices have been flashed with FTDI's own FT_PROG under Windows with no ill effects. I appreciate your concern.

EDIT: Here's a picture. They're a bit tricky to photograph because they're so tiny. The components next to it are 2mm x 1.25mm, to give you an idea of the scale.

attachicon.gifFTDI_closeup.jpg

And before you ask, all of the components on the device are genuine, from reputable vendors. (Mainly Mouser.com, although I believe I sourced some directly from Microchip.)

If you download the LTO Flash UI, the package includes the drivers. There's a helpful arrow telling you where to click, if you need to install them. IIRC, my Mac already had them installed and everything just worked. FTDI chips are in an extremely wide variety of products, and LTO Flash uses the standard, unmodified driver.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-09-04 at 4.26.06 AM.png

We point to FTDI's website in case they post updated drivers someday.

Thanks for the response, it's reassuring. :)

By the way, when I asked about "genuine," I didn't mean to imply it had some bootleg parts bought off some Chinese knock-off plant. I was just asking to confirm just like the license agreement commanded, using the language of the license itself. :)

Nonetheless, after those scary-quotes, I think I'll wait for libftdi drivers to be tested and ready.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

That's not quite true. It's also incompatible with the PlayCable. I guess that makes two peripherals known to be incompatible with it. Sorry. ;) ;) ;)

I guess you'll have to find a Cuttle Cart for the System Changer. (Not a Cuttle Cart 3, but rather, the original Cuttle Cart for Atari 2600.) And for the PlayCable... put that sucker on display in your collection museum, you lucky PlayCable owning bastard! :lolblue:

So it means that it is compatible with the Keyboard Component?? :lol: