IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

On 1/26/2021 at 6:05 AM, rietveld said:

Looks like the LTO Flash Menu will work with Linux

I can run it with Ubuntu Bionic .Just for the heck of it I also tried using Fedora v33 and it also seems to work, so by default it should also run on old skool Redhat 

I do not get my LTO until Saturday so I wont know for sure if everything works perfectly until i plug in the LTO and assign the USB to it

Did you pull the code down and build it?

On 1/28/2021 at 5:59 AM, intvnut said:

Hey, sorry for the silence. I have been busy, and will get back to following up on email now that we're close to availability again.

I'll post a more detailed update here soon.

It's all good. I was just worried that I did something wrong or that I would miss out

On 1/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, rietveld said:

Linux Wine

but if you have a link to the source code I will try to build and compile it in commnand prompt on Ubuntu Bionic

There's a Download Source Code link on the LTO Flash User Interface page.  I don't know offhand whether there's also a public repository with the latest work-in-progress.  I'll let @intvsteve comment on that.

5 hours ago, stringfellow said:

It's all good. I was just worried that I did something wrong or that I would miss out

I've had a handful of emails come in (yours included) that I need to go through and respond to.  I will do that before I open the floodgates again.  I've just been really busy the last week and a half between LTO Flash! and some other Intellivision commitments that I'm working on.  I went through a surprising number of JLP boards in less than a year, and needed to get more made!  My typical batch size usually lasts longer than a year.

Email is a special kind of time sink.  It doesn't seem like it should take that long, but somehow once I start processing email, I lose most of an evening.  AtariAge programming questions, OTOH, I can usually whip out on my phone w/out too much thought, because I don't have to cross check anything or update tracking spreadsheets, etc.

@intvnut : I contacted @rietveld via PM to prepare for adventures in Mono/GTK if so desired... hehe. The source is up on GitHub. Each release at the website also has a link to download the source for that particular build for convenience.

I did try to document much of the dev setup for Windows and Mac, but there are always challenges. Plus, I've stuck with what are now very old toolchains. A big one is the attempt to keep supporting old operating systems.

Please everyone, can we give up on Windows xp (heck, and Vista and 7 and 8 as well?)... And let's prune off macOS prior to ... say... 10.9? (lol ... this laptop is still running 10.8.5).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, intvsteve said:

Please everyone, can we give up on Windows xp (heck, and Vista and 7 and 8 as well?)... And let's prune off macOS prior to ... say... 10.9? (lol ... this laptop is still running 10.8.5).

I know this was kind of "tongue-in-cheek-but-mostly-how-you-feel" but honestly - from a Tech Support standpoint (hell a REAL WORLD standpoint) - I would treat this like any other company that supports their software ... if the manufacturer isn't supporting an operating system anymore then you shouldn't feel obligated to find ways to make your software work on the outdated platforms. Just my 2 pennies...

• Like 1

I didn't realize how awesome the LTO Flash cart was until now. So glad I purchased this awesome device! This is a must have for anybody who owns an Intellivision. I also purchased an old VCR and hooked up my system to a big screen tv. All is good in the world today!

Edited by poconojo
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I know this was kind of "tongue-in-cheek-but-mostly-how-you-feel" but honestly - from a Tech Support standpoint (hell a REAL WORLD standpoint) - I would treat this like any other company that supports their software ... if the manufacturer isn't supporting an operating system anymore then you shouldn't feel obligated to find ways to make your software work on the outdated platforms. Just my 2 pennies...

At the onset of the project, we actually did have specific requests to support Windows xp and macOS 10.7. Since I collect zero "phone home" type info* I have no idea if people actually use these old versions or run them in virtual machines or whatever. If I were less lazy I suppose I could root around in some website stats and try to see how often things get downloaded. I actually had to downgrade a significant chunk of code (the entire ROMs list and feature editing and jzintv integration was something I'd written on a lark a couple years before this effort even got underway)!

It's almost no-win. lol

a. Drop old OSs: inevitably there will be an outcry! To this I suppose i could simply day: use the last version that worked - no new features for you!

b. Support the latest: this can cost lots of money and time and effort just to "stand still"

There is an amount of pride in keeping the old stuff working... Hell in a meta-sense, look at what this whole endeavor is! Shiny spiffy modern tech breathing life into a 40+ year old console. Dropping support for old tech indeed! ;)

*There is a "check for updates" feature. It sends OS (win or mac or mumblymumble) and the current app version to check. None of it is persisted at the website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

if the manufacturer isn't supporting an operating system anymore then you shouldn't feel obligated to find ways to make your software work on the outdated platforms. Just my 2 pennies...

...he says in a thread devoted to a flash cart for a system that went off the market over 30 years ago.

?????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, intvsteve said:

Drop old OSs: inevitably there will be an outcry! To this I suppose i could simply say: use the last version that worked - no new features for you!

For $10 more, we could ship a Raspberry Pi Zero with a sufficiently up-to-date Linux + GUI.  ($5 for the RPi0, $5 for the power brick and SD card.)  ?

For $10 you can get a machine comparable to a economy machine at the time Windows XP came out, but hopefully running a new enough OS to run the LTO Flash GUI.  ?  And with a little more work, it'll run jzIntv just fine as well!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, intvnut said:

For $10 more, we could ship a Raspberry Pi Zero with a sufficiently up-to-date Linux + GUI.  ($5 for the RPi0, $5 for the power brick and SD card.)  ?

For $10 you can get a machine comparable to a economy machine at the time Windows XP came out, but hopefully running a new enough OS to run the LTO Flash GUI.  ?  And with a little more work, it'll run jzIntv just fine as well!

I agree. Get a Pi zero and install Ubuntu Lite. You can have the Pi use the same display as your INTV and switch back and forth .

I did this with my ColecoAdam

The Pi would be small enough to fit inside the INTV itself

You could keep the LTO in the INTV all the time and update the game roms at the same time

Pi zero 80 col terminal https://imgur.com/a/Iip0zTm

Edited by rietveld

Windows 7 is still the second most popular PC operating system by far, about double all mac osx systems combined.

Since many of those win7 computers aren't win10 compatible, switching to linux is not a bad idea.  Is there any urgency to do so.  Microsoft may have dropped support but the browsers still support it.  Antivirus and malware software will continue to support it for a while like they do xp.

Edited by mr_me

22 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Windows 7 is still the second most popular PC operating system by far, about double all mac osx systems combined.

Since many of those win7 computers aren't win10 compatible switching to linux is not a bad idea.  Is there any urgency to do so.  Microsoft may have dropped support but the browsers still support it.  Virusware and malware software will continue to support it for a while like they do xp.

If you guys are  win7 (or xp) users then you will love Linux Zorin.  Its GUI looks and feels just like Windows7 and can be configured to look like xp.  As an added bonus it comes with Wine pre installed allowing you to run most windows 32bit software out of the box.

Zorin shares the same codebase as Ubuntu so it will be easy to transition to full command prompt down the road if you want to become a white hatter

Edited by rietveld

25 minutes ago, RetroRonny said:

yes I saw that, you have to load and unpack every single one ..... I wanted a complete finished product with everything gladly also by message

When you open the LTO menu just click on 'add folder' and choose the folder of roms you just downloaded. This will do all the work for you. .  The LTO menu program will add the roms to a menu for you . 

Edited by rietveld
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RetroRonny said:

yes I saw that, you have to load and unpack every single one ..... I wanted a complete finished product with everything gladly also by message

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Before "real life" threw a spanner in the spokes, I started a project intending to seamlessly integrate support for archive file types into the UI. It's still WIP and not ready for public consumption though. :(

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

When you open the LTO menu just click on 'add folder' and choose the folder of roms you just downloaded. This will do all the work for you. .  The LTO menu program will add the roms to a menu for you . 

Most importantly: There are upper limits on the total number of folders supported on the cartridge file system. My recommendation is to organize your ROMs in some fashion, rather than every ROM in its own folder, which IIRC is what some ROM sites will ultimately produce when you unpack everything.

Probably the most common organization method I've seen is via publisher, with Mattel often broken down into the classic "Game Networks" (Action, Space, etc.).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RetroRonny said:

I thought it was ready to run, but it is empty and I have to fill it first

I unfortunately do not have the necessary licenses to all of the original games in order to do that.  And yes, I intend to stay in the good graces of the copyright holders, just as Chad did with the Intellicart and Cuttle Cart 3.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, intvnut said:

I unfortunately do not have the necessary licenses to all of the original games in order to do that.  And yes, I intend to stay in the good graces of the copyright holders, just as Chad did with the Intellicart and Cuttle Cart 3.

I wonder if e bay guy ,with the roms for sale , holds those licenses  :)