IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will there ever be an SD cart version? SD flash carts have a theoretical lifespan of 50 years. Standard flashcarts only last 20 years. 

Also an SD flash cart is much more convenient for loading games and backing up save files. To have to physically remove the cartridge from the console takes more effort and it damages the cartridge pins with each insertion. It's better to have it left in the console and to just insert a SD cart to save wear and tear on the console and on the flash cart itself. 

Edited by Sonaru

Actually you can plug in the USB cable to your computer while the cartridge is inserted to the Intellivision. You can even have both on at the same time, and transfer files directly from the PC to the console without storing them on the Flash cartridge. That assumes you keep your vintage games close enough to at least a laptop, or have a lengthy USB cable.

For the other aspects, feel free to hold your breath. People already held their breath for nearly 8 years for the Hive that never materialized. Who knows what the future will bring. Right this moment, another production run of the LTO! Flash probably is enough for most people.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

Actually you can plug in the USB cable to your computer while the cartridge is inserted to the Intellivision. You can even have both on at the same time, and transfer files directly from the PC to the console without storing them on the Flash cartridge. That assumes you keep your vintage games close enough to at least a laptop, or have a lengthy USB cable.

For the other aspects, feel free to hold your breath. People already held their breath for nearly 8 years for the Hive that never materialized. Who knows what the future will bring. Right this moment, another production run of the LTO! Flash probably is enough for most people.

It is unfortunate that the LTO Flash! was delayed by a couple of years as people waited for 'The Hive' that was to come out 'real soon now'. Nevertheless, when it was clear where that project was going, LTO Flash! development was started. The LTO Flash! was further delayed by a lengthy firmware and GUI development, but it is pretty solid right now. 

As stated, there's no need to remove the LTO Flash! from the Intellivision if you stick a data USB cable into it and connect it to a computer. You can upload the games to the Intellivision on an individual basis or write them to the cartridge. There's no issue with wearing them out. The ONLY issue that I'm aware of is that if you are not careful, it is possible to zap the LTO Flash! with static electricity if you touch the card edge connector. You'd do well to never touch the card edge connector with your fingers as a rule. Any re-design will fix this issue. 

As a person who sells ROMS, it is a bit interesting that so many of the approximate 1000 units out there seem to still be shrink wrapped on the shelf like some sort of strange collectible game. Just the other day, I provided some roms to someone who broke the shrinkwrap on their LTO Flash!

When we were talking about numbers LTO said; "How big of a run do you think we should make?  I'm thinking 300 - 400.  However many we make, I don't think there's a second run."

The THIRD run has already been done and it is looking like a FOURTH run will be needed. I've already collected 45 names for the LTO Flash! waiting list. 

Some people are still requesting an SD card based flash cartridge for some reason. Perhaps they think it will be cheaper/easier, whatever? Unless it is LTO Flash! compatible, I think producing one is a waste of time. In my opinion, any SD based cartridge should be able to run JLP cartridges, as that is the de facto standard for new games being written. Otherwise, its usefulness will only be good for part of the current library of games. Currently, Elektronite has a game in development that will be so big that we are going to request that LTO double the current size of JLP cartridges for our 2023 release. 

• Like 5

The reason people are requesting an SD Card based flash cart is because they're dead simple to use. Drag & drop your ROMs, done deal - You're off to the races & gaming before you know it. ? Plus the ability to add or remove whatever amount of storage space you want, which is a big advantage IMHO.

I agree though, it should be able to do everything the current Lto can do, compatibility wise, and hopefully then some. That's important.. We wouldn't want to regress.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LTO, but I do not love having to use that program to add or remove games, which can be a giant pain in the ass (at least my experience). The firmware and whatnot is a lot better than when it first debuted, but I still have to fight with it at times to get it to cooperate, though I'm kind of used to it at this point. Lol. Alas, that's all we have at the moment and I'm grateful for it. :)  It sure beats not having a Intellivision flash cart at all.

• Like 1

I would also prefer an SD card option that just lets me copy files, insert and be done.  The main problem I see with the current design is that the very excellent software used to load the cart may have compatibility issues in the future and those that have worked on it may move on to other projects, lose interest, or worse.  Tracking down legacy software on the internet seems like it should be an easy thing, but it actually seems to be getting harder.  It took me a long time to find the program to load up the SD card for my Dreamcast GD EMU drive for example.  I'd rather not have to store and keep up with specific software if I only decide to load up a new game a few times a year (or less).

Edit - and everything @SiLic0ne t0aD said

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I would also prefer an SD card option that just lets me copy files, insert and be done.  The main problem I see with the current design is that the very excellent software used to load the cart may have compatibility issues in the future and those that have worked on it may move on to other projects, lose interest, or worse.  Tracking down legacy software on the internet seems like it should be an easy thing, but it actually seems to be getting harder.  It took me a long time to find the program to load up the SD card for my Dreamcast GD EMU drive for example.  I'd rather not have to store and keep up with specific software if I only decide to load up a new game a few times a year (or less).

Edit - and everything @SiLic0ne t0aD said

Intellivision games have configuration files. An SD based cartridge might know about current titles, but there may be issues with new games. 

As far as 'drag and drop' goes, that is exactly what I do with the GUI. I drag my files to the GUI and drop them. Done. 

1 hour ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

The reason people are requesting an SD Card based flash cart is because they're dead simple to use. Drag & drop your ROMs, done deal - You're off to the races & gaming before you know it. ? Plus the ability to add or remove whatever amount of storage space you want, which is a big advantage IMHO.

The community previously has an SD based multicart.  It was called the Cuttle Cart 3.

While you could drag-n-drop files onto the SD card, it worked best with a program that created menus, set colors, etc.  The UI was so-so and people endlessly complained about it.

The LTO is a great upgrade from the Cuttle Cart 3 (though I still regard the Cuttle Cart 3 as quite good).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

Hi, after months, I decided to load roms again on my LTO flash cart,

I thought it was possible to see the content of my cart on the PC interface program

and to change edit roms, make folders

but I dont seem to be able am I wrong?

thanks

I have the same issue.

Asked @Rev to do a demo video.  But if anyone can make a tutorial, that would be wonderful.

5 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I have the same issue.

Asked @Rev to do a demo video.  But if anyone can make a tutorial, that would be wonderful.

I need to check mine out. I remember it only being recognized on one of 3 PCs at the time I set it up so it was tricky. I feel like I saved instructions on my archive but it's probably a copy of whatever is on the site or a pdf of the manual. I definitely switched roms around in it when new. If I get to it before someone else, I'll let you know.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:56 AM, lucifershalo said:

Hi, after months, I decided to load roms again on my LTO flash cart,

I thought it was possible to see the content of my cart on the PC interface program

and to change edit roms, make folders

but I dont seem to be able am I wrong?

If you got to the "LTO Flash!" menu and click on the "Get from LTO Flash!" button on the ribbon then it will load the menu layout stored on the LTO Flash into the program.  I believe you can then change the roms and folders from there.  Is that what you were looking for?