Jump to content
Games For Your Intellivision

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

Recommended Posts

On 8/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, Games For Your Intellivision said:

My guess is in early 2022

As a new proud Intellivision owner, please add me to your list as I would love to test my (IntyBasic) games on the device!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2021 at 12:01 PM, Games For Your Intellivision said:

My guess is in early 2022

Please add me to your list as well for a LTO Flash! cart. I’ve been wanting one for some time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2021 at 7:24 AM, TheRealOC said:

I would like to be added to the waiting list for an LTO flash cartridge.

Did you read the post above yours?  You have to send an email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there ever be an SD cart version? SD flash carts have a theoretical lifespan of 50 years. Standard flashcarts only last 20 years. 

Also an SD flash cart is much more convenient for loading games and backing up save files. To have to physically remove the cartridge from the console takes more effort and it damages the cartridge pins with each insertion. It's better to have it left in the console and to just insert a SD cart to save wear and tear on the console and on the flash cart itself. 

Edited by Sonaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you can plug in the USB cable to your computer while the cartridge is inserted to the Intellivision. You can even have both on at the same time, and transfer files directly from the PC to the console without storing them on the Flash cartridge. That assumes you keep your vintage games close enough to at least a laptop, or have a lengthy USB cable.

 

For the other aspects, feel free to hold your breath. People already held their breath for nearly 8 years for the Hive that never materialized. Who knows what the future will bring. Right this moment, another production run of the LTO! Flash probably is enough for most people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, carlsson said:

Actually you can plug in the USB cable to your computer while the cartridge is inserted to the Intellivision. You can even have both on at the same time, and transfer files directly from the PC to the console without storing them on the Flash cartridge. That assumes you keep your vintage games close enough to at least a laptop, or have a lengthy USB cable.

 

For the other aspects, feel free to hold your breath. People already held their breath for nearly 8 years for the Hive that never materialized. Who knows what the future will bring. Right this moment, another production run of the LTO! Flash probably is enough for most people.

It is unfortunate that the LTO Flash! was delayed by a couple of years as people waited for 'The Hive' that was to come out 'real soon now'. Nevertheless, when it was clear where that project was going, LTO Flash! development was started. The LTO Flash! was further delayed by a lengthy firmware and GUI development, but it is pretty solid right now. 

 

As stated, there's no need to remove the LTO Flash! from the Intellivision if you stick a data USB cable into it and connect it to a computer. You can upload the games to the Intellivision on an individual basis or write them to the cartridge. There's no issue with wearing them out. The ONLY issue that I'm aware of is that if you are not careful, it is possible to zap the LTO Flash! with static electricity if you touch the card edge connector. You'd do well to never touch the card edge connector with your fingers as a rule. Any re-design will fix this issue. 

 

As a person who sells ROMS, it is a bit interesting that so many of the approximate 1000 units out there seem to still be shrink wrapped on the shelf like some sort of strange collectible game. Just the other day, I provided some roms to someone who broke the shrinkwrap on their LTO Flash!

 

When we were talking about numbers LTO said; "How big of a run do you think we should make?  I'm thinking 300 - 400.  However many we make, I don't think there's a second run."

 

The THIRD run has already been done and it is looking like a FOURTH run will be needed. I've already collected 45 names for the LTO Flash! waiting list. 

 

Some people are still requesting an SD card based flash cartridge for some reason. Perhaps they think it will be cheaper/easier, whatever? Unless it is LTO Flash! compatible, I think producing one is a waste of time. In my opinion, any SD based cartridge should be able to run JLP cartridges, as that is the de facto standard for new games being written. Otherwise, its usefulness will only be good for part of the current library of games. Currently, Elektronite has a game in development that will be so big that we are going to request that LTO double the current size of JLP cartridges for our 2023 release. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason people are requesting an SD Card based flash cart is because they're dead simple to use. Drag & drop your ROMs, done deal - You're off to the races & gaming before you know it. 👍 Plus the ability to add or remove whatever amount of storage space you want, which is a big advantage IMHO.

 

I agree though, it should be able to do everything the current Lto can do, compatibility wise, and hopefully then some. That's important.. We wouldn't want to regress.

 

Don't get me wrong, I love my LTO, but I do not love having to use that program to add or remove games, which can be a giant pain in the ass (at least my experience). The firmware and whatnot is a lot better than when it first debuted, but I still have to fight with it at times to get it to cooperate, though I'm kind of used to it at this point. Lol. Alas, that's all we have at the moment and I'm grateful for it. :)  It sure beats not having a Intellivision flash cart at all.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also prefer an SD card option that just lets me copy files, insert and be done.  The main problem I see with the current design is that the very excellent software used to load the cart may have compatibility issues in the future and those that have worked on it may move on to other projects, lose interest, or worse.  Tracking down legacy software on the internet seems like it should be an easy thing, but it actually seems to be getting harder.  It took me a long time to find the program to load up the SD card for my Dreamcast GD EMU drive for example.  I'd rather not have to store and keep up with specific software if I only decide to load up a new game a few times a year (or less).

 

Edit - and everything @SiLic0ne t0aD said

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I would also prefer an SD card option that just lets me copy files, insert and be done.  The main problem I see with the current design is that the very excellent software used to load the cart may have compatibility issues in the future and those that have worked on it may move on to other projects, lose interest, or worse.  Tracking down legacy software on the internet seems like it should be an easy thing, but it actually seems to be getting harder.  It took me a long time to find the program to load up the SD card for my Dreamcast GD EMU drive for example.  I'd rather not have to store and keep up with specific software if I only decide to load up a new game a few times a year (or less).

 

Edit - and everything @SiLic0ne t0aD said

Intellivision games have configuration files. An SD based cartridge might know about current titles, but there may be issues with new games. 

 

As far as 'drag and drop' goes, that is exactly what I do with the GUI. I drag my files to the GUI and drop them. Done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

The reason people are requesting an SD Card based flash cart is because they're dead simple to use. Drag & drop your ROMs, done deal - You're off to the races & gaming before you know it. 👍 Plus the ability to add or remove whatever amount of storage space you want, which is a big advantage IMHO.

 

...

The community previously has an SD based multicart.  It was called the Cuttle Cart 3.

 

While you could drag-n-drop files onto the SD card, it worked best with a program that created menus, set colors, etc.  The UI was so-so and people endlessly complained about it.

 

The LTO is a great upgrade from the Cuttle Cart 3 (though I still regard the Cuttle Cart 3 as quite good).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how to clear the error log?

 

I keep getting the following:

 

File: D:\intellivision\Purchase\super_bump.rom
Message: Could not find file 'D:\intellivision\Purchase\super_bump.rom'.

 

Regards,

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...