IGNORED

What's the latest games you've played on your Wii U?

Ransom

I didn't have much difficulty with NSMBU, but for some stupid reason, I killed 70 or 80 Mario's at Bowser before doing it just right. It wasn't even all that difficult, just tons of stupid mistakes.

Don't be afraid to get New Super Luigi U, if you want more someday. It starts off about as hard as NSMBU gets in later worlds, but doesn't really ever progress in difficulty. You can't spend much time exploring though with the strict time limit.

Looking forward to Mario Maker and hopefully a full slate of Nintendo designed levels to play through, since I'm still in the mood for 2D Mario action on the Wii U despite 100%'ing both of these earlier this year.

Played Super Mario 3D World with my daughter this morning before I took her to school. My wife and I are separated and going through a divorce so my daughter lately has been a bit angry with me moving out three months ago and it's starting to sink in (she's 4). But today, sitting on the couch and playing was like how we did things before and that was really nice. Even though my daughter was a bit rusty (her mom doesn't play video games with her I don't think) she got her groove back and plowed through the next level we played.

I think I have to upgrade my Wii at my place.....

Played Super Mario 3D World with my daughter this morning before I took her to school. My wife and I are separated and going through a divorce so my daughter lately has been a bit angry with me moving out three months ago and it's starting to sink in (she's 4). But today, sitting on the couch and playing was like how we did things before and that was really nice. Even though my daughter was a bit rusty (her mom doesn't play video games with her I don't think) she got her groove back and plowed through the next level we played.

I think I have to upgrade my Wii at my place.....

yeah I almost got the D from too much gaming several times. Game on!!

• 5 months later...

While there's not really many games I want to play, I still decided it was time to replace my Wii (Dead disc drive since 2010) with a working one, so I finally got me a NSMBU / NSLU bundle.

Last night I spent setting it up, updating and doing the Wii => Wii u transfer. I also upgraded a few of my Capcom games to the Wii U (Mega Man 5 & X2, Final Fight 2&3).

Today I started playing some NSMBU in coop with my wife and also had a quick look on Bayonetta 2 (I had the first print book edition sitting on the shelf since christmas ;))

The bad news seems to be that Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story, two games I missed when my Wii was already dead, are going for collectors prices nowadays...

Xenoblade Chronicles should be pretty easily had for $40-$50 CIB these days, thanks to GameStop.

Collector's pricing for sure since it's right around original MSRP, but reasonable enough if one really wants it.

I checked my local GameStop's in the last couple of weeks for this game and it seems all but one have sold out. Seems like the game's availability is about to dry up again (and thus a price hike is likely to follow).

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my local GameStop's in the last couple of weeks for this game and it seems all but one have sold out. Seems like the game's availability is about to dry up again (and thus a price hike is likely to follow).

Just moved to the area (looking at your location) about 2 months ago for work and I see estarland has it for like 75 bucks. Pretty sure I've seen it on their facebook a few times with the trade in photos. I got it at around 40 and it's great, I'm not sure it's 75 bucks great.

Just moved to the area (looking at your location) about 2 months ago for work and I see estarland has it for like 75 bucks. Pretty sure I've seen it on their facebook a few times with the trade in photos. I got it at around 40 and it's great, I'm not sure it's 75 bucks great.

When did you see that? I actually picked up their last copy a couple of weeks ago.. I plan on surprising my [rpg hungry] brother with a Wii system + Xenoblade Chronicles for his birthday in August.

On a side note, I can't state how much I feel it's worth more than a $75 title. I spent so much time with it I can't even begin to value it. I had fun the entire time (120+ hours).

BTW, side topic I suppose, where are you located now? It's not often I find AA'ers located near to me. :)

When did you see that? I actually picked up their last copy a couple of weeks ago.. I plan on surprising my [rpg hungry] brother with a Wii system + Xenoblade Chronicles for his birthday in August.

On a side note, I can't state how much I feel it's worth more than a $75 title. I spent so much time with it I can't even begin to value it. I had fun the entire time (120+ hours).

BTW, side topic I suppose, where are you located now? It's not often I find AA'ers located near to me. :)

I just checked their site before I had posted that and it appeared to be stocked at that price. I still have a lot of the shops from the Virginia Beach area followed so I might have crossed my streams.

I keep telling myself to give the game more time but I often lose access to that TV so I tend to play games on the Gamepad (the Wii U has my save...). I have a good opinion of the game so far but it hasn't settled into a classic for me yet.

As for location: We ended up settling in Ashburn in one of these gated apartment community clones for now and are still very much getting acquainted with the area. It's by far the nicest area I've lived in before. I haven't heard one gunshot yet.

Edited by omegadot

I just checked their site before I had posted that and it appeared to be stocked at that price. I still have a lot of the shops from the Virginia Beach area followed so I might have crossed my streams.

Hmm.. How much time have you put into it? (This isn't a "Well, you should like it *THIS MUCH BECAUSE YOU PLAYED IT THIS MUCH* post, it's more or less just out of curiosity).

As for location: We ended up settling in Ashburn in one of these gated apartment community clones for now and are still very much getting acquainted with the area. It's by far the nicest area I've lived in before. I haven't heard one gunshot yet.

Haha.. Yeah, unless you are in Manassas or certain parts of Herndon, you shouldn't hear gunshots. The northern parts of VA are pretty good overall. :)

Hmm.. How much time have you put into it? (This isn't a "Well, you should like it *THIS MUCH BECAUSE YOU PLAYED IT THIS MUCH* post, it's more or less just out of curiosity).

I think around 6 hours, heh. The voice clips irritated me pretty quickly and I just tended not to return to it. But I did really love the sprawling world and battle system a lot. I may just reboot it on the Wii hooked up to the other TV.

I think around 6 hours, heh. The voice clips irritated me pretty quickly and I just tended not to return to it. But I did really love the sprawling world and battle system a lot. I may just reboot it on the Wii hooked up to the other TV.

Holy.. shit... That's about 114 hours less than me.

Have you tried the Japanese voices? It may be a little more ambigious instead.

Holy.. shit... That's about 114 hours less than me.

Have you tried the Japanese voices? It may be a little more ambigious instead.

I definitely felt like someone that wasn't as irritated by the voices would really just find joy in the game. I'll try the japanese voices. I tend to dislike most voice acting in RPGs. I actually shut it off in Bravely Default about three hours in. I seem to remember that not being an option in this one. My son just relinquished Peggle. Time to check it out.

Good call on the Japanese voices. This is much better.

Edited by omegadot
  • Like 1

I bought my Wii U in February along with Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and NES Remix. I have been addicted to NES remix. It is mini games of classic NES games. And perform tasks in a set time limit. And pemding how long it takes you get stars. Also they have Super Luigi Bros. In the remix 2 of the game. A mirrored version of Super Mario Bros. And of course you play as Luigi, plus a Nintendo World Championship 1990 game. The games are Super Mario (50 coins), Mario 3 (25 coins), and Dr. Mario (best score you can get in allotted time). Highly reccommend it! Fun too.

Finished World 4 in Super Mario 3D World. Great game so far, just as I expected it to be.

And I like that the difficulty is ramping up nicely. My spare lives which quickly ballooned to around 60 or more, was down to about 30 afterwards. Had to go to level 1-2, where I correctly suspected I could go the old koopa shell trick, to stock up for the rest of the game.

Will no doubt be a fun adventure to the end. And I'll have a lot left to do afterwards, as I go back to collect things I missed the first time through (And try out different characters since I'm sticking to Mario for now).

I bought my Wii U in February along with Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and NES Remix. I have been addicted to NES remix. It is mini games of classic NES games. And perform tasks in a set time limit. And pemding how long it takes you get stars. Also they have Super Luigi Bros. In the remix 2 of the game. A mirrored version of Super Mario Bros. And of course you play as Luigi, plus a Nintendo World Championship 1990 game. The games are Super Mario (50 coins), Mario 3 (25 coins), and Dr. Mario (best score you can get in allotted time). Highly reccommend it! Fun too.

It was your post (amongst the trailer) which made me buy the first NES Remix last night. After getting three stars in each Donkey Kong challenge for the start I must say this was really a lot more fun so far than it should have been ;)

Do you know what it means when getting a rainbow colored tripple star? Is that some extra challenge?

It was your post (amongst the trailer) which made me buy the first NES Remix last night. After getting three stars in each Donkey Kong challenge for the start I must say this was really a lot more fun so far than it should have been ;)

Do you know what it means when getting a rainbow colored tripple star? Is that some extra challenge?

That means you beat the stage in the fastest time possible. But apparently they don't have the target times for rankings. I feel honored that my post got you to get the game. It really is a lot of fun. And a great twist to it as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Deep into the late stages of Super Mario 3D World, and now a return of a past hardware issue with it. :(

Last night, Wii U gamepad failed to power on my console and displayed the error message that I did a bit of complaining about on here before. Following the instructions sadly doesn't work, with the only way to turn on the system after this displays being the console's power button or Wiimote. Last time, the problem was very intermittent at first and progressed over a few months to a point where the console never responded to the gamepad's power button (Except when turning the system off, which always worked 100%).

2djb42e.jpg

I wonder if it's worth sending it in to Nintendo again. I believe my warranty is still valid (I think my past repair added another 12 months to the existing and now expired original coverage), It was only six months old when this started the first time, and it's barely been that long since it was sent in for lengthy (And rather sloppily handled on their part) repairs for this issue the last time.

Might be easier just to pretend that the gamepad doesn't have a power button...

What would you guys do? Live with it and hope it doesn't become something more serious, or see if they finally can make a lasting fix?

Edited by Atariboy