IGNORED

What's the latest games you've played on your Wii U?

Ransom

Seeing Nuclear Pacman's posts about The Wonderful 101 makes we want to get back to that game at some point. I'll really need to start it over from the beginning to give it any justice though....I got maybe 1/3rd of the way through but haven't touched it in probably a year.

Anyway, been playing a lot of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse lately on the Wii U, and just started Assassin's Creed III today, which I've owned in shrinkwrap for a while but just decided to bust out today.

• Like 1

I have an N64 and Mario 64 cart not 15 feet from my Wii U/VC Mario 64 and I take the Wii U one every time. I have a little trouble with triple jump on the gamepad / pro controller but the clear visuals alone are worth it.

I use the Pro Controller myself. Just downloaded Ocarina of Time today..can't wait to play that in HD!! I'm hoping (but realize it's not likely) that they gave it the upgraded visuals from the 3DS version.

They didn't.

Ocarina of Time, as you suspected, is the N64 original running via emulation. Just like Paper Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 before it on the Wii U's Virtual Console.

Hopefully the NX gives us a way to enjoy these on our HDTV someday. Unlike the mess that you get with 3D polygonal DS releases when rendered at their native resolution like Mario Kart DS on the Wii U's Virtual Console, 3DS titles upscale well as demonstrated by many videos from people with capture devices on YouTube.

Edited by Atariboy

I've been playing the GCN OoT from the beginning a bit lately and to my eyes the visual have not aged well. Mario 64 still looks engaging and colorful. All the mute colors in OoT don't age well. I imagine the up-scaling involved only does so much.

Fired up the Virtual Console download of the Famicom version of Super Mario Bros. 2 tonight, and magically, it's back to a save state from June. Has anyone else ever had this happen before?

I was close to the end of a 2nd playthrough using Luigi, but now, it's halfway through my earlier run through the game as Mario.

Restarted the game and at least there's still one star on the title screen, correctly indicating it has been finished once. So it at least remembered that much so I'm not going to have to start at square one if I'm going to reach Worlds A-D one of these days.

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 weeks later...

I literally dusted off my Wii-U (there was a ton of dust collecting on it) and played some New Super Mario Bros. U. I hadn't played it in about four months, the last time it showed me when I played it was sometime in April. I finally got every star coin in world 1 and defeated Star Road 1 (after about 10 tries.) Luckily for me, I had 96 lives left when I ended it. Am anxiously awaiting Yoshi's Woolly World and the Mario level editor. But man, if you want to do the extra stuff in Nintendo 2D platformers beginning with New Super Mario Bros., it's too impossible for me to do.

I literally dusted off my Wii-U (there was a ton of dust collecting on it) and played some New Super Mario Bros. U. I hadn't played it in about four months, the last time it showed me when I played it was sometime in April. I finally got every star coin in world 1 and defeated Star Road 1 (after about 10 tries.) Luckily for me, I had 96 lives left when I ended it. Am anxiously awaiting Yoshi's Woolly World and the Mario level editor. But man, if you want to do the extra stuff in Nintendo 2D platformers beginning with New Super Mario Bros., it's too impossible for me to do.

I have the New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U. Played some bits and pieces of it. I enjoy it but I've been hooked on NES Remix. Such a fun game in my honest opinion. I beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii and got it 100% completed. It was a grueling and tedious task especially grabbing the star coins. I need to try out Super Mario 3D World.

The local game store was having a 25% off sale and it was either "Captain Toad : Treasure Tracker" or "Splatoon". I truly couldn't decide between the two, so I flipped a coin. "Captain Toad" won out. So far I am still in the first book but it really is a fantastic game. I think that I'll probably get "Splatoon" too at some point but, as it stands now, I really am kind of glad the "Captain Toad" won the toss!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure about Captain Toad, but by the time I finished Super Mario 3D World, I was convinced.

Hoping to see it drop a bit first, but I can see that strategy coming back to bite me. This one has the look of a Nintendo game that will disappear suddenly.

I wasn't sure about Captain Toad, but by the time I finished Super Mario 3D World, I was convinced.

Hoping to see it drop a bit first, but I can see that strategy coming back to bite me. This one has the look of a Nintendo game that will disappear suddenly.

Yeah, and at a lower price it'll likely hold / increase it's value over time with the big N logo, if that's a concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Mega Man & Bass arrived in Europe today - instant purchase! :)

You going to get Mega Man Legacy Collection? Not a Wii U release alas, but your love of Capcom is well known around these parts. :)

I used to enjoy reading about your quest to finish as many Capcom games as possible, but never see you post about it anymore?

• Like 1

I recently got back into Super Luigi U. We got it a while ago but were pretty burnt on 2D platformers at the time. My son loves Luigi in that 3 year old way. 'That's me! that's patrick-luigi!!!' I dig the sorta speed through and collect stuff fast aspect of it, at least as far as I am.

You going to get Mega Man Legacy Collection? Not a Wii U release alas, but your love of Capcom is well known around these parts. :)

I used to enjoy reading about your quest to finish as many Capcom games as possible, but never see you post about it anymore?

MMLC depends a bit whether the 3DS version gets a physical release in Europe. Currently I have MM5 and MM6 only for the virtual console, so it would be nice to finally get them for real :)

I've now 100% completed 110 different Capcom games from 1985-2000, so I'm halfway done. I'm not posting that much about it, but I'm sending regular progress updates to the "Games Beaten in 2015" thread ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Played through 1-2 of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. Why not much? My left hand started hurting from holding the Wii-U controller. And the levels are long. It took me about 15 minutes. It's hard because you got so used to controlling Kirby with the + pad over the years, but now you have to move him similar to the DS game (drawing "ropes" for Kirby to automatically move on). I think this game would have been better suited for the 3DS. But hey, no lives were lost...yet. I am so excited Super Mario Maker comes out next Friday (9/11). And then, after that, Yoshi next month.