IGNORED

Am I losing my mind (searching for a program in vain).

Omega-TI

I was recently reading another thread and it gave me an urge to find an old program that "I THINK I REMEMBER" running off the cassette port of the TI. I believe it was an Audio Spectrum Analyzer/Frequency Analyzer. Am I nuts or am I confusing this with the TRS-80 CoCo? If I am remembering correctly, I'd sure like to find it.

I think you're nuts, but, that's just me. ;)

I don't know the CoCo port, but the TI port would have trouble being an /accurate/ spectrum analyzer, since it's only capable of a hard-edged single-bit sampling. I suppose it could pull off something rough though..?

• Like 2

This is probably the program you are looking for. I think that I have it on disk and just have to find it. It appeared in the publication RD Computing from Ryte Data. I will post it when I find it or will recreate it from the listing.

Jacques

1:15:1. TI-99/4 secrets and curiosities

by Bill Gronos

Brush the cobwebs off your cassette port and

see sound in sixteen colors

This month I've got a program that is going to make your eyespop. It's the closest thing to an LSD trip that your 99/4 canproduce.

If you read my previous article, you'll remember that I gave you three simple Assembly Languageprograms to take music input through the cassette port and display it graphically on the screen. TravisHolland in Austin, TX writes, "Widgeon has been playing his Spike Jones tapes with #1, and is ready fordifferent colors for different frequencies". I think Widgeon is going to be very pleased after he types in thismonth's two programs — unless he happens to be epileptic. If he is, you'd better have a stick handy, Travis,to put in his mouth when he runs the second program.

The second program is so fantastic it makes me want to add my computer and video monitor to my soundsystem as a permanent fixture. If you were fortunate enough to start out with a disk drive (unlike myselfwho labored with a cassette recorder for what seemed like forever), you really need to come up with acassette cable just to see the amazing things your 99/4 can do with a sound input. If you don't have one,check in the computer bargain papers! I've seen TI cassette cables advertised for $1.50, which is probablyless than what the connectors alone would cost you. It's also easy to make your own. Then you can stickon whatever mating plug your music device requires. Just about any sound device can be used to providean audio input: tape recorder, radio, TV, Walkman, etc. If you wish to make your own cable, the audioinput pins on the cassette port connector are numbers 8 and 9. On the standard TI cassette cable, pin 8goes to the tip of a mini plug, and pin 9 goes to it's sleeve. This plug is inserted into the earphone orexternal speaker jack on the cassette recorder.

• Like 1

This is probably the program you are looking for....

...see sound in sixteen colors

That sounds like it! :)

It scares me when I get a brain fart that bad, as my father has advanced Alzheimer's and I'm always afraid I'll go the same way.

Thank's for the post, it was a great read, and now it's going to be a great day because:

1) I know not losing my mind (I'm just nuts)!

2) I'll be able to enjoy that program in the near future.

That is it!

I found my disk, and in the source code it says "The Bill Gronos Sound Show"

This is probably the program you are looking for. I think that I have it on disk and just have to find it. It appeared in the publication RD Computing from Ryte Data. I will post it when I find it or will recreate it from the listing.

Jacques

1:15:1. TI-99/4 secrets and curiosities
by Bill Gronos
Brush the cobwebs off your cassette port and
see sound in sixteen colors
This month I've got a program that is going to make your eyespop. It's the closest thing to an LSD trip that your 99/4 canproduce.
If you read my previous article, you'll remember that I gave you three simple Assembly Languageprograms to take music input through the cassette port and display it graphically on the screen. TravisHolland in Austin, TX writes, "Widgeon has been playing his Spike Jones tapes with #1, and is ready fordifferent colors for different frequencies". I think Widgeon is going to be very pleased after he types in thismonth's two programs — unless he happens to be epileptic. If he is, you'd better have a stick handy, Travis,to put in his mouth when he runs the second program.
The second program is so fantastic it makes me want to add my computer and video monitor to my soundsystem as a permanent fixture. If you were fortunate enough to start out with a disk drive (unlike myselfwho labored with a cassette recorder for what seemed like forever), you really need to come up with acassette cable just to see the amazing things your 99/4 can do with a sound input. If you don't have one,check in the computer bargain papers! I've seen TI cassette cables advertised for $1.50, which is probablyless than what the connectors alone would cost you. It's also easy to make your own. Then you can stickon whatever mating plug your music device requires. Just about any sound device can be used to providean audio input: tape recorder, radio, TV, Walkman, etc. If you wish to make your own cable, the audioinput pins on the cassette port connector are numbers 8 and 9. On the standard TI cassette cable, pin 8goes to the tip of a mini plug, and pin 9 goes to it's sleeve. This plug is inserted into the earphone orexternal speaker jack on the cassette recorder.

• Like 1

That sounds like it! :)

It scares me when I get a brain fart that bad, as my father has advanced Alzheimer's and I'm always afraid I'll go the same way.

Thank's for the post, it was a great read, and now it's going to be a great day because:

1) I know not losing my mind (I'm just nuts)!

2) I'll be able to enjoy that program in the near future.

GROSNOS.ZIP is attached and includes the BAR version as GROSNOS1 and GROSNOS which displays the rectangle version. Both have been run through RAG Linker to create program image programs.

Jacques

GRONOS.zip

• Like 2

GROSNOS.ZIP is attached and includes the BAR version as GROSNOS1 and GROSNOS which displays the rectangle version. Both have been run through RAG Linker to create program image programs.

Thanx guys! I'll try to play with these tomorrow after work!

Damn, I'm having too much much fun...

• 3 years later...