IGNORED

Sega Star Trek games

dr. kwack

I remember seeing Star Trek II and III on V'ger's list years ago. I recently came accross this...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_III:_The_Search_for_Spock_%28Atari%29

and thought I had seen something about the game reaching testing phase. Any other info on this one?

Interesting. I wonder if they weren't thinking about Star Trek SOS? I would have thought little or no work was done on this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting. I wonder if they weren't thinking about Star Trek SOS? I would have thought little or no work was done on this.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was supposed to be the first 2600 game from Sega. Some work was done on it, but only a basic game design. If any actual coding was done, it wasn't much...certainly not to the point of being playable. The game was never completed because the programmer who was working on it left Sega to take a position at Atari. After he left, I assume that idea was abandoned and they decided to just port the arcade game instead. No work was ever done on the Spock game that I know of, although there was another Star Trek coin-op in development at one point that may have involved the third film.

That person who mentioned beta testing was almost certainly talking about Star Trek: SOS, not either of the unreleased games.

Just found this on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-3-WIDE-STAR-TREK-II-THE-WRATH-OF-KHAN-SEGA-1983-PINBACK-BUTTON-M82-/121306540604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3e6eea3c

Interesting! I mean I know stuff got promoted that never saw light of day, but, still cool!

That was probably given out at the same CES where Sega handed out those flyers showing mock-up boxes for a bunch of 2600 games based on Paramount movies. Of course, none of those games ended up being made.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 8/10/2014 at 9:45 PM, dr. kwack said:

Just found this on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-3-WIDE-STAR-TREK-II-THE-WRATH-OF-KHAN-SEGA-1983-PINBACK-BUTTON-M82-/121306540604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3e6eea3c

Interesting! I mean I know stuff got promoted that never saw light of day, but, still cool!

I just randomly came across a picture of one of these pins while searching an old hard drive.  It looks like another once surfaced recently because someone just grabbed one.