IGNORED

HaHaHaHaHa Mean 18 HaHaHaHaHa

Trebor

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled, loose is A-ok by me....I'm getting into the harder end of the 7800 library now anyway so I should expect this all to get more difficult and expensive.

Be patient - especially if loose is okay. Historically, the worst is Tank Command. If you're real lucky you may get a loose one for $60, often you'll see it for ~$80 or more. Water Ski used to tread on similar ground, but within the last year I've seen a couple go for ~$40 - I would dare to state I believe I saw one go for $30 or $35 as well. The others you'll be shocked how inexpensive you may obtain them if you time it right. With the exception of the aforementioned, I've seen all typically more difficult and expensive loose ones in the range of ~$18-$40.

Patience, timing, and a little luck is the key. Happy hunting! :)

P.S. Another course just made it from the back to the front of my mind...St. Andrews...Dad always had a favorite between them all, I forget which one. To be honest, I was not too much of a fan, too wrapped up in StarFlight I guess.

Sorry if the answer to your question is not already clear. I have provided a statement that answers it and then re-posted it. Here it is for a third time:

"From the NTSC Mean 18 boxes I've seen, it may appear to be the case..."

Not sure how what was posted is "confusing things further" though. A statement was made that gave the impression that all 7800 boxes for a certain region appeared one way. That was later clarified that the intention was specific to Mean 18 only. Despite there being evidence of many other NTSC titles appearing in boxes in a variety of style, there is a conviction (At least by Andre that you agree with) that all NTSC Mean 18 boxes were only presented one way. Again, all points understood, not a thing is confusing.

It's well understood you are "very comfortable in concluding Andre is correct". What is it exactly that's "not helping things" though? A comment earlier was inferred that one could combine a Mean 18 PAL box with a Mean 18 NTSC cartridge and pass it as a complete NTSC Mean 18. You are in agreement with Andre, confident that it cannot be done without realizing the fraud due to the notion that all NTSC Mean 18 boxes were only presented one specific way (Noteworthy too, the fraud would only fail if the buyer(s) were knowledgeable enough and be able to ascertain the distinction(s) as well - Which I do hope they should/would be).

Regardless, I'm being honest when I state that I have not examined enough NTSC Mean 18 boxes to know, without doubt, or/and be confident enough to believe, that all of them always have the "NEW" banner and "Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China" on the back. I appreciate Andre's and your conviction and honesty as well.

My issue with your comments is that you seem to be implying that there may be Mean 18 NTSC boxes out there without the stripe or the "Printed in Hong Kong" on the box. You're essentially opening the door to people getting scammed by entertaining the possibility that some variant that has never been proven to exists now exists. It's fine to keep an open mind, but there's just no evidence to support that conclusion and none has surfaced in the 25 years since release. So, until that evidence is provided, I believe it is safe to conclude that no such NTSC variant for Mean 18 exists.

Edited by bojay1997

My issue with your comments is that you seem to be implying that there are Mean 18 NTSC boxes out there without the stripe or the "Printed in Hong Kong" on the box. It's fine to keep an open mind, but there's just no evidence to support that conclusion, so until that evidence arises, I believe it is safe to conclude that no such NTSC variant for Mean 18 exists.

Not "implying" anything, just stated and presented all the facts.

Nonetheless, your point/belief/conclusion is well understood...thanks.

My issue with your comments is that you seem to be implying that there may be Mean 18 NTSC boxes out there without the stripe or the "Printed in Hong Kong" on the box. You're essentially opening the door to people getting scammed by entertaining the possibility that some variant that has never been proven to exists now exists. It's fine to keep an open mind, but there's just no evidence to support that conclusion and none has surfaced in the 25 years since release. So, until that evidence is provided, I believe it is safe to conclude that no such NTSC variant for Mean 18 exists.

Edited by bojay1997, Today, 2:34 PM.

Nice edit...

And nice red herring :-D , but "essentially opening the door to people getting scammed..." is not at all being achieved or provided here. What is being stated is honestly relating I have never looked or examined enough/many NTSC Mean 18 boxes to confidently say there are not variants with only one type existing. You evidently have performed such a thorough examination or/and enough experience with NTSC Mean 18 boxes to remain steadfast in your comfort and conviction. For me, it wasn't something, up until this thread, that I gave even much thought to outside of the fact that the same title/game NTSC boxes exist out there with and without the "NEW" banner.

You're comfortable and confident enough to believe, that without question, all NTSC Mean 18 boxes are the same - wonderful. My advice, regardless, would be for anyone interested in a boxed NTSC Mean 18 to buy a sealed one with a "NEW" banner as the known examined evidence points to that having an overwhelming if not undeniable shot at being an NTSC version (Do not pay hundreds though...LOL...The game can be acquired new for ~$60, give or take ~$20 on average from what I've seen and experienced). If only one type of box exists for NTSC Mean 18, the point is moot. If there are variants of the NTSC Mean 18 box, like the other NTSC boxes out there, and someone with proof comes across this thread, perhaps they will/may confirm...Either way, time to let the topic go... ;)

Nice edit...

And nice red herring :-D , but "essentially opening the door to people getting scammed..." is not at all being achieved or provided here. What is being stated is honestly relating I have never looked or examined enough/many NTSC Mean 18 boxes to confidently say there are not variants with only one type existing. You evidently have performed such a thorough examination or/and enough experience with NTSC Mean 18 boxes to remain steadfast in your comfort and conviction. For me, it wasn't something, up until this thread, that I gave even much thought to outside of the fact that the same title/game NTSC boxes exist out there with and without the "NEW" banner.

You're comfortable and confident enough to believe, that without question, all NTSC Mean 18 boxes are the same - wonderful. My advice, regardless, would be for anyone interested in a boxed NTSC Mean 18 to buy a sealed one with a "NEW" banner as the known examined evidence points to that having an overwhelming if not undeniable shot at being an NTSC version (Do not pay hundreds though...LOL...The game can be acquired new for ~$60, give or take ~$20 on average from what I've seen and experienced). If only one type of box exists for NTSC Mean 18, the point is moot. If there are variants of the NTSC Mean 18 box, like the other NTSC boxes out there, and someone with proof comes across this thread, perhaps they will/may confirm...Either way, time to let the topic go... ;)

I'd like to know when the last time an NTSC copy of the game new in box sold for $80. Atari2600.com had a new copy posted on their store for like a day two years ago that sold for $100. Prior to that in 2011, they had a new copy for $80 that also sold instantly. The last few new copies I have seen on Ebay on those rare occasions when it shows up have gone for $150+. I agree that a boxed complete copy is not worth $200-$400 or more, but a new copy is probably bumping up into the $150+ range given how many sealed 7800 collectors there are now and the very constrained supply of new NTSC copies on the market.

Edited by bojay1997