IGNORED

What is your favorite video game console of all time?

Rick Dangerous

What is your favorite video game console of all time?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite video game console of all time?

• Atari Jaguar (NTSC)
    • Atari Jaguar (PAL)
    • Atari Jaguar w/CD Unit Attachment

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

There are lots of great video game systems out there. Please think about all the great systems you've played over the years and pick one from the poll which happens to be your favorite. Perhaps share a few memories in the thread below, as well as your thoughts on why you picked that system amongst all the choices.

• Like 3

Yeah it was meant to be a joke, slow morning at work today.

In all seriousness, I'd say the Jag is in my top 5, if not top 3 favorite consoles of all time right now. It's certainly the one I've been having the most fun with for the past year or so, and is the easiest to maintain a passion for, for me anyway. My eyes light up when I talk to friends about Jaguar, and everyone thinks I'm a nut about it. It's an awesome system to catch the bug for, despite the fiscal repercussions of building a good collection. It's SO damn cool and unique, an interesting niche in video game history, and yet a living system with games coming out for it to this day. The online jaguar community is half the fun for me as well TBH. Just a great console to enjoy and talk about with like minded gamers.

I'd say my top five right now is:

1. N64

2. NES

3. Jaguar/CD

4. Dreamcast

5. 7800

I've never played a Neo Geo but they look pretty cool, with their crazy VHS tape sized carts. I've definitely played some SNK stuff in the arcade, Metal Slug being a personal favorite.

Edited by travistouchdown

Neo Geo most overpriced overrated system ever. its like 75% fighting games... The games are all designed to eat quarters so pretty much all Neo games you find yourself dying very quickly in games over and over and over......... Meh. It is cool to own one (ive owned many actually), system and games are huge and cool looking. but I was not all that impressed. Especially when the system is easily emulated and you can get the collections on ps2 etc. Jag is def one of my favorite systems ever though. I highly prefer it to Neo geo that's for sure.

If I had to name five, it would be:

- Jaguar/CD

- Sega Saturn

- Dreamcast

- PS3

Those aren't in any specific order. On a side note, I think I want to get into Saturn gaming again. Sold mine in a lot in 1998.

I sold my Saturn collection earlier this year to focus on Atari/Nintendo. Then I bought a dreamcast again, then a genesis. Now I am kicking myself... should have kept it.

Saturn prices are stupid anymore.. Stuff is too expensive. Cant understand it... Its a pretty weak system honestly. Not talking about the Japanese imports, but the US library. Sure it has way more games than Jag but I mean, I would MUCH rather play PS1 games than Saturn games (yep ive owned Saturn systems before and lots of games).... And I prefer Jag over Saturn too. And again the prices, the Saturn systems and games are becoming too expensive. And those fragile longboxes just plain suck. They break if you look at them wrong.

Neo Geo most overpriced overrated system ever. its like 75% fighting games... The games are all designed to eat quarters so pretty much all Neo games you find yourself dying very quickly in games over and over and over......... Meh. It is cool to own one (ive owned many actually), system and games are huge and cool looking. but I was not all that impressed. Especially when the system is easily emulated and you can get the collections on ps2 etc. Jag is def one of my favorite systems ever though. I highly prefer it to Neo geo that's for sure.

I disagree. I used to have a huge MVS collection and the carts are not expensive, it's when you get into the home carts that the prices get insane. They're the exact same games. The dying very quickly over and over is nonsense. Do you play through all console games you own the first time you play them? I used to be able to get almost all the way through Metal Slug and Metal Slug X on a single credit. The system had something like 14 years of software support, hardly overrated.

I disagree. I used to have a huge MVS collection and the carts are not expensive, it's when you get into the home carts that the prices get insane. They're the exact same games. The dying very quickly over and over is nonsense. Do you play through all console games you own the first time you play them? I used to be able to get almost all the way through Metal Slug and Metal Slug X on a single credit. The system had something like 14 years of software support, hardly overrated.

I was talking AES but even MVS is expensive on average. Obviously you are a Neo geo fan that's fine. ;) Im not really. Its OK but I just think its overrated and the Jag is underrated.

I was talking AES but even MVS is expensive on average. Obviously you are a Neo geo fan that's fine. ;) Im not really. Its OK but I just think its overrated and the Jag is underrated.

Um.. Not really. Obviously some carts are going to be pricey (it is arcade hardware after all, don't expect everything to be cheap), but a lot of good MVS carts are cheap. Not too long ago someone was selling some of the Metal Slugs here for under fifty bucks a pop. Perfectly reasonable if you ask me.

I like the Atari Jaguar as much as most of you guys here, but to say it's the best console ever is pretty asinine.

For me I'd say the best console of all time would be the Sega Dreamcast. In it's short life span it had a lot of really good games and the good to bad games ratio is one of the best for any console IMO. Also, Dreamcast has the best homebrew scene, with many steller games released after the consoles demise. It's the console that really wowed me when it first came out. The graphics, the gameplay and online multiplayer, the Dreamcast was revolutionary.

• Like 3

Um.. Not really. Obviously some carts are going to be pricey (it is arcade hardware after all, don't expect everything to be cheap), but a lot of good MVS carts are cheap. Not too long ago someone was selling some of the Metal Slugs here for under fifty bucks a pop. Perfectly reasonable if you ask me.

MVS is expensive on average I said... Some MVS carts are cheap while there are many instances MVS games are actually more expensive than AES...

AES is super expensive on average if you look at whole library while MVS not super expensive, but still too expensive to attempt to collect for beyond 10 or 20 games... Not to mention most of the games are too hard, too short, and kind of annoying in an over Japanesy way. And as many fighting games as there are I still prefer Street Fighter II over any of them. By a lot. Neo Geo prices are just plain stupid and it makes Neo fans a bit crazy and over protective of their system and collection... But its just plain overrated for what it is, a glorified oversized 16 bit system with pretty 2d graphics. But give me a genesis, snes or Jag over a neo any day. Not to mention I don't like neo arcade stick or weird neo cd controller.

I like the Atari Jaguar as much as most of you guys here, but to say it's the best console ever is pretty asinine.

For me I'd say the best console of all time would be the Sega Dreamcast. In it's short life span it had a lot of really good games and the good to bad games ratio is one of the best for any console IMO. Also, Dreamcast has the best homebrew scene, with many steller games released after the consoles demise. It's the console that really wowed me when it first came out. The graphics, the gameplay and online multiplayer, the Dreamcast was revolutionary.

+1. I love my Dreamcast, it's the one system that's always hooked up in my rotation.

1. Dreamcast

2. SNES

3. NES

4. n64

5. Sega

**I can't put Jag in my top 5 yet since I've only owned it for about a month thus far, but I am enjoying playing it.

1) Nes

2) Dreamcast

3) Genesis

4) 3DS

5) Ps2

I own pretty much every sega and Nintendo system, for atari I only have the Jag/Cd and Lynx. I have the PC engine, 3do and Neo Geo Cd as well but if I was to pick 5 out of the 25+ systems I own those five would have to be tops :)

Prices seem to be really hit or miss with collecting. I have found Sega to be really fun to collect for because it's pretty cheap overall. Jaguar, 3DO and the rest are pricey because of their rarity, along with harder to find Nintendo and Sony games. Xbox stuff seems to be real cheap as well. Passion for the company seems to drive prices as well, more rabid fanbases drive prices higher? Rabid Fanbase+Rarity=Jaguar High Prices? ;) Still you would think there were more copies of Atari Karts made, then people that actually collect jaguar, so prices would be lower. I mean how many people are really hardcore jaguar collectors in the world. 400? 1000? And how many copies of Atari Karts were produced, 5,000? So I guess I don't get why it is that Jaguar prices are so high.

Still, internet speculation is causing ridiculous price increases that don't reflect true market value. Notice that many of the things listed for insane "buy it now" prices just wallow for months..

I guess they all have their good and bad points/games but thinking very carefully today I still find it difficult to part the Snes and Megadrive, I do have more good gaming memories of the MD I guess so -

Atari 2600

Megadrive

Snes

Master System

PS1

Pc Engine

I really enjoyed any Atari system I ever owned. Years have passed since I owned an Atari and I miss it immensely.

From the days of picking up many 2600/7800 new in box games at Meijer in 1990/1991 or waiting for the Jag CD to clearance at EB (29.99 - sweet deal) to even picking up sweet homebrews like BeefDrop - the Atari experience always rocked.

It is really cool to know there is so much support of the awesome Atari products here on this website.

Hopefully I will be able to pick up another Atari in the future - they are the best systems to own!