IGNORED

Sears Video Arcade II Composite Mod

flashbackmatt

I got a Sears Video Arcade II on eBay. I'm powering it with a 12VDC brick I have.

Anyway, the RF is pretty bad on it. Not noisy really, but colors bleed and there are vertical dark bands.

Has anyone tried to do a composite video mod on a VAII? If I could clean the video up, it would replace my Jr as my preferred way to play 2600 games.

Edited by flashbackmatt

I use a modded SVAII, huge improvement over RF. If you can use the S-video do it... much better than the composite. If your TV has no S-video input, you can use an RF modulator with S-video and step down to coax... the picture quality actually looks better than composite.

I like the details (specifically the jack guide) on that mod, but I do question one thing - why bend the TIA pins? Surely there's a place to solder to on the mainboard. You're already soldering to several resistors anyway, just find the appropriate connections on the board and do the same with those. With every Atari model, you can trace the TIA pins to one side or the other of a cap or resistor easily. And if you don't have enough room to work, just remove the component.

I'd rather wreck a resistor for a video circuit I'm not using than risk destroying a TIA. You pull the pin out and you're SOL.

Edited by freeweed
  • Like 1