IGNORED

Crack'ed

Stevaside

Thoughts on this 1?

Finally got it just now. I saw a Classic Game Room review recently where he said the controls make it pretty hard. I agree they could be better & I think I read somewhere this was originally meant for the XE & a lightgun, which would make sense....but it's not nearly as bad as I imagined. And I find the more I keep playing, the more used to the controls I get.

Fun little game IMO & I enjoy the quirkiness & originality of it.

& it's funny to me cuz I wrote a letter once to Atari when I was a little kid asking them if Paperboy & Pacmania were going to get released for the 7800 like I hoped...They replied back telling me something like "Unfortunately there are no plans, but here is our upcoming line up of games for this year" & I remember this one being on it. I always imagined what kind of game "Crack'ed" could have been. Then one of my 1st times in my life on the web I found an Atari site that had a screenshot :-D

Edited by Stevaside

Fun little game IMO & I enjoy the quirkiness & originality of it.

That actually sums up my opinion of it pretty nicely with the addition of one nagging detail which really bothers me - The music silence. There should be a background melody playing. Preferably a suitable/different one for each board theme: Tree/Forest, Sewer/Pipes, Sea/Underwater, Dungeon/Haunted House, Moon/Outer Space. It doesn't even have to be POKEY - just some decent TIA would suffice.

One caveat - The Rooster Ranch...Talk about near impossible the majority of the time...lol.

• Like 1

That actually sums up my opinion of it pretty nicely with the addition of one nagging detail which really bothers me - The music silence. There should be a background melody playing. Preferably a suitable/different one for each board theme: Tree/Forest, Sewer/Pipes, Sea/Underwater, Dungeon/Haunted House, Moon/Outer Space. It doesn't even have to be POKEY - just some decent TIA would suffice.

One caveat - The Rooster Ranch...Talk about near impossible the majority of the time...lol.

Yep, music would be cool.

&yea what's the deal with that Rooster Ranch? I'm assuming it's a bonus round & thought I could possibly get more eggs, but guess not. I could do without that level honestly

But a good example of 80's weirdness & creativity in games, gotta love it. Just what is in those freakin eggs that every creature imaginable is after them?!, including ghosts, squids, DRAGONFLIES?!..even water bubbles are drawn to them :D .......& I never knew chickens laid eggs & kept nests on the ocean floor or other planets either. lol I also like the humor of what some of them turn into after you shoot them, such as the squid becoming a canned appetizer & the birds turning into roasts haha

Edited by Stevaside

I think I read somewhere this was originally meant for the XE & a lightgun, which would make sense....but it's not nearly as bad as I imagined. And I find the more I keep playing, the more used to the controls I get.

Actually it was designed for the ST computer and a mouse. Ironically, the 2600 proto controls better than the 7800 version.

Mitch

Actually it was designed for the ST computer and a mouse. Ironically, the 2600 proto controls better than the 7800 version.

Mitch

Yea I did read it was the mouse, it was Mark from CGR that threw me off, he said he thought it was the lightgun...I thought about it, don't think the Atari lightgun had 2 buttons & it would be awkward to both shoot enemies & rescue eggs by shooting at the screen....I'm using the 7800 joypads, I can def see the joystick being harder to control...Wonder how a trakball controller would perform on it, think the only possible option would be to try that 2 button "7800 trakball" I believe Video 61 has...

Here's a cool interview with the creator

http://www.atarilegend.com/interviews/interview.php?interview_id=6

Awesome....just got a quick look at the ST version, does look a bit better even....Funny how he said he was against making a 2600 & 7800 version but Atari insisted...Also woulda been cool to have an Crack'ed arcade game like he claims almost happened.

"Hopefully one day we'll be able to play Crack'ed on our cell phones" -2003 Haha sure enough sometime later through emulators