IGNORED

Jaguar NTSC S-Video cable

WozzyCat

...since finding an official Atari brand Jaguar S-Video cable is almost impossible these days (for under $300,000 bucks....yes I am inflateing that number ever so slightly), just wondering about any cable hackers out there....what have you done to create your own Jaguar S-Video cable, and what is your resulting satisfaction level with it?

I have the skills, I have the solder, I have the soldering iron(s), I even have all the components/parts which I need to do this, but before I go ahead and actually assemble/solder and heat shrink around my hacked up edge card connector and S-Video connector, I thought I would check in and ask people here for any final suggestions/advice. How does one obtain the maximum best video output from a Jaguar to a S-Video connection?

SCART is outta the question since, well, I live in Canada (North America) and as far as I know, no TV/Monitors have ever been sold with that option here, since....well, I assume that is a European connection standard of the past...? Never the less, none of my TV's and/or monitors have any SCART inputs anyways.....my gear's inputs include....HDMI, Component Video, S-Video, Composite Video, and the ever so lowly mashed together audio/video RF inputs (for channel's 3/4 VHF).

SCART is mainly a European connector, there is also JP-21 in Japan that uses the same physical connector with a different pinout. There is an exact size card edge connector from Mouser (I think) that fits the Jag perfectly, no need to file down a bigger edge connector, from there it's just a matter of wiring up the proper pins. If you send me a PM I can probably dig up that part number for you. It was either Mouser or Digikey IIRC.

Best also sells an s-video cable with some sort of enhancer circuitry for less red bleed, but even without that in a cable I don't notice anything wrong with a signal.

Best also sells an s-video cable with some sort of enhancer circuitry for less red bleed, but even without that in a cable I don't notice anything wrong with a signal.

Like What madman said, Best Electronics is the way to go. It certainly beats out that $300,000 price you were talking about.

Here's a link in case you wish to jump straight to the page.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm#Combo

If you are patient on ebay, you can get this cable for not too much. Here are ones that sold on ebay in the last few months.

Official S-Video Cable
$63 - 6/20/14 - Mint - CIB - New Sealed
$54 - 7/7/14 - Mint - CIB - New Sealed
30 used cable only
23 cable only
23 cable only