IGNORED

Mini Memory Line-by-Line Assembler

coolio

I have an extra cassette (original). Pay for postage and I'll mail it to you.

It always seemed weird to me that Mini Memory came with a cassette instead of a diskette. I read recently that the Gram Kracker (I think it was the Gram Kracker) can convert cassette programs to diskette programs... or maybe it was one of those crazy utilities that come with one of the emulators. Anyway, if it's the GK, that can be done using the MESS emulator, right? Has anyone tried it?

Darryl

I have an extra cassette (original). Pay for postage and I'll mail it to you.

It always seemed weird to me that Mini Memory came with a cassette instead of a diskette. I read recently that the Gram Kracker (I think it was the Gram Kracker) can convert cassette programs to diskette programs... or maybe it was one of those crazy utilities that come with one of the emulators. Anyway, if it's the GK, that can be done using the MESS emulator, right? Has anyone tried it?

Darryl

The Mini Memory was aimed toward stand-alone console users who had, at a minimum, a cassette recorder. At the same time it recommended (actually, I think the text pretty much required) familiarity with the Editor/Assembler. If you look at the Mini Memory, the only native support for disk usage is the LOAD AND RUN menu option. The options in Easy Bug to save and load cartridge memory are CSx, only.

FWIW, there are two programs on one of the recently uncovered Eric Lafortune disks which save and load Mini Memory data to and from disk. I gave a brief run-down of how these program work in another thread.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 7/31/2014 at 1:27 AM, acadiel said:

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but could anyone share the cassette tape with the line-by-line assembler for the Mini Memory?  I'm using Classic99.  Many thanks.

Sorry - Found one.  Thanks

Edited by jonesypeter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonesypeter said:

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but could anyone share the cassette tape with the line-by-line assembler for the Mini Memory?  I'm using Classic99.  Many thanks.

It's included with Classic99 as a disk file rather than a tape. It's "DSK1.MM_LBLA.OBJ", assuming you haven't moved the disks around (DSK1 folder otherwise). Steps for loading on are page 53 of the manual.

• Like 3

I just checked WHTech. The cassette is on https://ftp.whtech.com/Cassettes/Mini_Memory/

Lines_LBLA.wav: original recording

Lines_LBLA_remastered.wav: digitally recreated (not sure whether it loads on real iron)

Of course, disk is faster, so this is for the "original feeling". MAME does load each of them, I can't say whether Classic99 likes them. Tursi?

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I just checked WHTech. The cassette is on https://ftp.whtech.com/Cassettes/Mini_Memory/

Lines_LBLA.wav: original recording

Lines_LBLA_remastered.wav: digitally recreated (not sure whether it loads on real iron)

Of course, disk is faster, so this is for the "original feeling". MAME does load each of them, I can't say whether Classic99 likes them. Tursi?

Should work, never tried. Cassette is implemented in a development tool only as a curiosity, my interest in supporting it is low. ;)  But I figured if the 1200bps loader worked (and it did), most things should.

• Like 1

Yes, it's more on the opposite side of "productivity". But when I recently tried to load a Scott Adams Adventure by tape, I instantly recognized it: "Yes, that sounds like an Adventure!" ;)

(obviously I heard them too often back in those days; it's funny what weird patterns our brains can store)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

I don't have any nostalgia for waiting 4 minutes for a slow TI BASIC program to load.

Pfah.  I have a play list of TI program cassettes on my MP3 player.  Better than some of the junk on the radio these days.  ::waves fist in the air::

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1