IGNORED

Ideas for new homebrew games.

kevincal

Which platform [sT?] would you want the initial port - prior to optimization and upgrading the graphics for the Jag - to come from? I read the port to the Genesis/Mega Drive was terrible.

I guess the port would be better to come from the Amiga, in the case of Turrican 1 and 2. If its a port of Turrican 3, It should come from the Sega Genesis, since its version was the best.

Damn, you tricked into answering like the thing was actually happening :-D .

Now that i remember, Jim Power is being revived. Some guys bought the rights to it, and found an almost complete Sega Genesis version, which they will be releasing soon. They are also porting it to the Dreamcast and NES it seems. I would be nice if they ported and enhanced it for the goog old Jaggy :twisted: .

• Like 1

I'm with KidGameR186496 , A Turrican-style game would be superb.Played PC Hurrican years ago, loved it, recently tried Dreamcast Gunlord, not bad at all.N64 was to get a 3D Turrican (Thornado or something?) but i'd have loved a 'proper' 2D Turrican style game on Jaguar.

Never tried Hyper Force, so no idea what that's like.

Which platform [sT?] would you want the initial port - prior to optimization and upgrading the graphics for the Jag - to come from? I read the port to the Genesis/Mega Drive was terrible.

The sauce is out there. Download, study, port. Godspeed!

Edited by ggn
  • Like 4

A Jag Turrican with Native quality graphics has been one of my dreams for years, hehe.

Here is a homebrew idea: lets put together some money to pay Atari Owl for working full time on his RPG project :grin: . He had the engine about done, and had designed a bunch of dungeons and stuff already. And the thing was looking freaking amazing!. Hell, i would settle for a high quality video of his latest version before he stopped working on it :_( .

Speaking of that game,what happend to it? It looked very promising

what game???? it was an engine. A very ambitious one

from scretch with blogging the math and jaguar coding related to 3d issues and knowhow

looks atariowl has not much time left for it now, also i think he moved to dreamcast caus of much more potential of harware.

sad, cause i would be very interested reading the source :grin:

say byebye to that project :-D

a video?

maybe some of the other members of the project could do one, like starcat. But i dont think they will.

same -> no time for jag

Edited by Otto1980

what game???? it was an engine. A very ambitious one

from scretch with blogging the math and jaguar coding related to 3d issues and knowhow

looks atariowl has not much time left for it now, also i think he moved to dreamcast caus of much more potential of harware.

sad, cause i would be very interested reading the source :grin:

say byebye to that project :-D

a video?

maybe some of the other members of the project could do one, like starcat. But i dont think they will.

same -> no time for jag

A lot of developers are talented but just not up to the challenge of completing a project.

also do not underestimate low-level programing on a complex architecture, the poor libs, docs, tools.

most are special - rare - different...

what is a "talented programmer"?

there are countless programmers that earn >10000 $s per month for their programmingskills in their jobs, but im sure only a little of them have still good knowledge of lowlevel (assembly e.g) programming

thats nowadays IT-education

as example: a motorcar mechanic today didnt learn same as 40 years ago, topics changed from physical to more technical stuff... e.g. they learn more about electronics and less about welding/soldering etc.

-> same on programmers... topic priority just changes by time (e.g. webdevelopment is far from lowlevel ;))

• Like 1

there are countless programmers that earn >10000 $s per month for their programmingskills in their jobs, but im sure only a little of them have still good knowledge of lowlevel (assembly e.g) programming

And on top of that, that particular group of programmers is reduced to select few who have a very, VERY strong interest in Atari Jaguar.

As if that decimation wasn't enough, they probably already have families (they're in late 30-ies / 40-ies), so can't afford just coming home and coding on their pet project - as for example Battlesphere guys could do.

That doesn't really leave us with many candidates, now does it :)

I'd rather be a game maker than a talented programmer. I use the tools that allow me to express myself through completing games. I take on projects that are only slightly more ambitious than the last. Small wins for me. Small games for others to enjoy.

The real heroes are the ones continuing to develop the libraries and compilers that eternal newbies like me can use. I'd rather cheer these people on instead of asking for yet another port.

From the context of the conversation it should of been fairly obvious what talented programmer I was referring to. And it also should be obvious as to what defines them as a talented programmer.