IGNORED

Lynx Format Tribute Magazine

AtariLynx Lover

Seeing as this year is the Lynx's 25th Anniversary, I figure that we ought to have a sort of single-issue tribute magazine to the Lynx. I'm putting it here because I'm rather busy working on my own magazine to try and write it all, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in contributing.

I intend to release it as a free PDF magazine, for all to enjoy, and also onto Magcloud, if you want to buy it in print. I'm calling it "Lynx Format" as a homage to magazines of old. I've created a cover idea below. Note that the cover isn't yet decided... it may change...

post-31984-0-22564300-1407081186_thumb.png

...and there you have it. I'm looking for contributions, and would be happy to interview, and show off screenshots (hopefully new ones) inside.

• Don't want to speak too soon, but I've secured an interview with Ninjabba! He's developing Wyvern Tales.
Edited by AtariLynx Lover

Hmm, I'm thinking of what some of the content might be, here's a quick brainstorm.

-news on homebrews and news on how to develop for lynx/what tools to get/where to get them
-news on upcoming homebrew games
-pictures/info on original atari development hardware/software for lynx
-interview(s) with developers of commercial lynx games from the 90s
-game tips/strategies for commercial or homebrew games
-pictures of lynx collections / short interviews with collectors
-comparison of lynx arcade ports to the original arcade game (side by side screenshots, discussion on graphics and gameplay)

Edited by sirlynxalot

Hmm, I'm thinking of what some of the content might be, here's a quick brainstorm.

-news on homebrews and news on how to develop for lynx/what tools to get/where to get them

-news on upcoming homebrew games

-pictures/info on original atari development hardware/software for lynx

-interview(s) with developers of commercial lynx games from the 90s

-game tips/strategies for commercial or homebrew games

-pictures of lynx collections / short interviews with collectors

-comparison of lynx arcade ports to the original arcade game (side by side screenshots, discussion on graphics and gameplay)

I was thinking much the same things :D

Thanks for the offer, Guitari :) I'll PM you when I have something (probably pretty dang soon).

Seeing as the Lynx was released on October 11th, I'm hoping to have LYNX FORMAT released by that time. If you have any ideas for content you could produce, feel free to PM me. I'm open to suggestions and want LYNX FORMAT to be the ultimate Lynx tribute magazine, filling up as many pages as possible. (Albeit Magcloud has a limit of of 396, so there is a boundary)

I myself will be writing a few reviews for the magazine, managing the editing (mostly spell-checking and fact-checking), and writing one or two articles. I'm also intending to get some interviews with homebrew developers and will try to be getting an interview with a rather important person who worked on the Lynx back in the day.

I'll also handle the layout in the magazine, through the free desktop publishing program called Scribus. Via Magcloud, the magazine will only cost as much as it costs to produce it - though I should warn you that Magcloud is expensive. 20 cents per page. However, you will get a high-quality publication at the end - I know, I've used it. The quality is much better than GameInformer.

PM me with your thoughts or post to this forum - it's a tribute magazine made by the community for the community out of love for the Lynx. Let's make it the best Lynx tribute ever.

Great initiative, would love to contribute in some way.

I am a bit worried about the costs side of this though. You are saying that for a 100 page magazine, it costs 100*0,20 = $20? Is that per printed magazine or for a digital version? It might discourage potential buyers at such prices.

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding.

Great initiative, would love to contribute in some way.

I am a bit worried about the costs side of this though. You are saying that for a 100 page magazine, it costs 100*0,20 = $20? Is that per printed magazine or for a digital version? It might discourage potential buyers at such prices.

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding.

Unfortunately, yes, it does cost that much. Just for the print version, though, the digital version will be free. Print-on-demand is expensive, but you get a very high-quality product at the end.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A perfect storm, really: Too much ambition, not enough talent, not enough contributions, more time spent talking about it then actually making it, etc. etc. I wouldn't have the time to work on it now, anyway, since I'm writing my novel. Still, it was a neat enough idea, and if someone else wants to take the idea and run with it, they have my blessing.

It is indeed a real shame to hear this, i 'knew' few days before it became 'official' on here as i offered assistance with certain interviews i might of been able to offer up in near future.

But then, as i've mentioned in other threads, having questions out does'nt mean i'll get answers back each and every time :-( so sometimes, from a contributers point of view, despite all the effort you yourself put in, sometimes the best laid plans fall through and it's totally beyond your control.

I do hope something appears in some form from Atari Lynx Lover-it'd be a shame to see ideas and material he does have, go to waste as it were.

Personally I would love to get a magazine with stories abot the past.

A few years ago I sat an evening with R.J.Mical in Helsinki listening to Lynx and Amiga history. Don't remember much anymore but we were laughing for hours.

I could write something funny about Wookies and my efforts to understand the Lynx encryption.

-

Karri

• Like 1

Like I said, if someone wants to take the idea and run with it they have my blessing and I'd be happy to email them whatever material I still have on my computer so they could do so (unfortunately it isn't much). That reminds me, I should probably post that interview with Ninjabba here since the magazine's won't be happening so you all can read it.

• Like 1