IGNORED

Homebrew Games like this just piss me off

PDog

The retro gaming community on Youtube is a tight knit group just like the community right here on Atariage. A lot of us stick together and help each other out when ever possible. A lot of the friends i made on Youtube i hang out with on a daily basis on Facebook. If you want to know how to handle trolls ask my good friend OldSchoolRetroGamer a.k.a MaximumRD. That is someone i talk to on here, Facebook and Youtube. We all stick together.

I don't know Gamester personally, but he has a huge following. He is everywhere. lol

Oh absolutely, guy is def everywhere. It just never occurred to me to reach out to a youtube personality because I was attacked by trolls. Or that anyone else might.

Maybe I kinda sorta thought that vid had something to do with his homebrew vid getting trolled--and him saying people were asking his help gave him a way to respond--even though he said he never responds. Maybe I thought that. Maybe. An online equivalent of, "I'm not sayin XXXX, but ....".

But then I can't assume just because I wouldn't do something someone else wouldn't. Maybe people hit him up for internet advice all the time.

Oh absolutely, guy is def everywhere. It just never occurred to me to reach out to a youtube personality because I was attacked by trolls. Or that anyone else might.

Maybe I kinda sorta thought that vid had something to do with his homebrew vid getting trolled--and him saying people were asking his help gave him a way to respond--even though he said he never responds. Maybe I thought that. Maybe. An online equivalent of, "I'm not sayin XXXX, but ....".

But then I can't assume just because I wouldn't do something someone else wouldn't. Maybe people hit him up for internet advice all the time.

I can't say for sure on what the video was referencing, but trolling is a bad problem on Youtube. Some people i know had bad problems with them in the past. Some even left Youtube because of them. With as big of a following Gamester has he probably gets more trolls then most people do. My guess is the video was just about trolling in general and not about this game.

• Like 1

I can't say for sure on what the video was referencing, but trolling is a bad problem on Youtube. Some people i know had bad problems with them in the past. Some even left Youtube because of them. With as big of a following Gamester has he probably gets more trolls then most people do. My guess is the video was just about trolling in general and not about this game.

I know it man--the youtube comments section is almost as depressing as reading the comments sections on some news sites. Mean, rude, racist and sexist, and usually all for no real reason....real trolling, just to piss someone off. I leave the occasional nice remark on vids I like on the off chance the creator reads it and appreciates it (that and the thumbs up is literally the least I can do for free content) but never bother to read them any more.

I can't even leave comments on Youtube vids anymore. I refuse to participate in social networking. That includes Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, etc. So by regusing to link my Google Plus profile to my Youtube, I can still upload videos to youtube but cannot comment, even on my own videos. Sorry, but I don't want people to see every video I fav, like, or comment, which is exactly what will happen if I link G-plus with YT.

Worse, I keep getting notifications from old friends, blah-blah is following you, etc, but if I email those people to catch up on things, they don't respond much or tell me to get Facebook.

Ditto I give people my cell number and they send me a text message and later complain I didn't respond. Well, I still use a fip phone and have texting service disabled. If I call these people, they don't answer or won't respond to my voicemail. "Oh, I don't want to use all my minutes, blah-blah..." Well, that was the exact reason why I disabled texting years ago when it used to cost 25 cents per message. Never missed it either...

Sheeze, is it too much to just pinpal people through email or chat in realtime using voice calls? I like hearing friend's own voice. Instead of texting which IMO is too impersonal not to mention a pain to do on a keypad, or worse social media where nothing posted online is private. I'm glad my last name is an extremely common one (metric tonnes of false positives if you Google it) and future employers will never know the internet alias I use to post in forums...

Wow off topic sorry guys! :oops:

• Like 2

I can't even leave comments on Youtube vids anymore. I refuse to participate in social networking. That includes Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, etc. So by regusing to link my Google Plus profile to my Youtube, I can still upload videos to youtube but cannot comment, even on my own videos. Sorry, but I don't want people to see every video I fav, like, or comment, which is exactly what will happen if I link G-plus with YT.

Worse, I keep getting notifications from old friends, blah-blah is following you, etc, but if I email those people to catch up on things, they don't respond much or tell me to get Facebook.

Ditto I give people my cell number and they send me a text message and later complain I didn't respond. Well, I still use a fip phone and have texting service disabled. If I call these people, they don't answer or won't respond to my voicemail. "Oh, I don't want to use all my minutes, blah-blah..." Well, that was the exact reason why I disabled texting years ago when it used to cost 25 cents per message. Never missed it either...

Sheeze, is it too much to just pinpal people through email or chat in realtime using voice calls? I like hearing friend's own voice. Instead of texting which IMO is too impersonal not to mention a pain to do on a keypad, or worse social media where nothing posted online is private. I'm glad my last name is an extremely common one (metric tonnes of false positives if you Google it) and future employers will never know the internet alias I use to post in forums...

Wow off topic sorry guys! :oops:

I don't even own a cell phone. I have never owned one. And i don't see myself getting one anytime soon either. I keep the ringer off on my house phone. I can't stand to hear it ring. I can't stand to hear phones ring just like i can't stand to hear my alarm go off. lol

I prefer it when nobody calls me. :)

Yeah, the price kinda sucks, that's a fact

But like I said, there's reasons to explain this

All I can say is , it has to do with the Smurf IP infrigment (500 boxes/manuals/labels printed and destroyed) We had to pay the original programmer for this

Plus, the engine itself, plus some re-programming to turn it into Shrines of Peril

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the price was $72 ($60 + shipping) when it was announced as Smurf - I pre-paid back in April. This was well before the Intellectual Property cease and desist. I'm not complaining about the price, or the game change, or anything. I'm looking forward to playing it. Just saying, it was $72 shipped originally.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

I don't even own a cell phone. I have never owned one. And i don't see myself getting one anytime soon either. I keep the ringer off on my house phone. I can't stand to hear it ring. I can't stand to hear phones ring just like i can't stand to hear my alarm go off. lol

Same here. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the price was $72 ($60 + shipping) when it was announced as Smurf - I pre-paid back in April. This was well before the Intellectual Property cease and desist. I'm not complaining about the price, or the game change, or anything. I'm looking forward to playing it. Just saying, it was $72 shipped originally.

Same here. :)

Cool. I have phones but dont like to answer. Lost pretty much all my friends because of it.

My phone is in permanent flight mode. :)

Sarcasm, right??? :dunce:

That can't be the reason, because the price was the same $72 when it was announced as Smurf (I pre-paid back in April). This was well before the Intellectual Property cease and desist.

I think his point was that the game could have been $50 if sold by CollectorVision, but that the price was increased due to the wasted capital. Whether you accept that or not, it tells you something about the $72 price from the original seller, and gives more weight to the idea that prices had just gone up for different reasons.

Competition in this arena cannot come soon enough, we really need it.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Sarcasm, right??? :dunce:

No, I'm pretty sure TJ is serious; I keep my cell turned off unless I want to use it and the ringer is usually off on my landline when I'm working; combination of being a different generation than you (we didn't grow up with cell phones) and being programmers:

I might code for 48 hours in a row and then sleep for a couple of days; a ringing phone messes with my equilibrium and cuts right through the Alpha mode :)

• Like 2

Excellent point nurmix; they had to deal with changes after the C&D and kept the same price which can only be done at a loss, particularly when profit margins are slim to non-existent; it would be more fair to increase the price for the next run or immediately for subsequent orders and would help fans to have realistic expectations - imagine if anyone complaining was asked to work for free? You can bet it would be a different story right away :)

• 2 months later...

Is it a from scratch game or just a hack? If it's a hack, box or not, he's making a decent profit off someone elses' work. That's kind of shitty.

This is true of almost the entire homebrew scene, particularly the ones that won't release the roms, charge premium prices and have limited runs. One particular producer has released dozens of outright ripoffs of other people's intellectual property and trademarks, often VERY valuable trademarks and copyrights, yet think they have some kind of moral high ground. I'm pretty sure that companies like Nintendo have NOT licensed out the rights of their most valuable game personalities (Mario and Luigi) to a homebrewer for game systems out of production for 30 years. They don't even bother making slight changes to the name or names of characters in the games, they just outright pirate it. It's really hypocritical if you ask me.

This is true of almost the entire homebrew scene, particularly the ones that won't release the roms, charge premium prices and have limited runs. One particular producer has released dozens of outright ripoffs of other people's intellectual property and trademarks, often VERY valuable trademarks and copyrights, yet think they have some kind of moral high ground. I'm pretty sure that companies like Nintendo have NOT licensed out the rights of their most valuable game personalities (Mario and Luigi) to a homebrewer for game systems out of production for 30 years. They don't even bother making slight changes to the name or names of characters in the games, they just outright pirate it. It's really hypocritical if you ask me.

It's also hypocritical to not man up and name names if you're going to be critical. Stand up for your viewpoint and explain in detail why you feel so strongly.

It's also hypocritical to not man up and name names if you're going to be critical. Stand up for your viewpoint and explain in detail why you feel so strongly.

Because I don't want to have a big argument, but still feel the need to point out hypocrisy. For people creating original games, I try my best to support them and also those that release their roms if they are making clones. If you are only going to make 100 copies of your game to sell, releasing the rom isn't going to cut into sales nor is it going to lower the value of the people who paid for the game. I've seen these games sell for 4 or 5 times their initial price (or more) for games that have the roms released. I see no point in it and I think it's hypocritical. The hypocrisy is what get's to me. Nobody likes hypocrites anyway.

When it comes to people creating original work, there is no hypocrisy and therefor I have no beef at all with wanting to retain control of their game, particularly if they are going to get a royalty if the game ends up in a flashback or something. I would imagine the royalty isn't much, but I would also imagine it's pretty cool to see your name and your game in a retail store.

I also don't want to see the homebrew scene dry up. There are a number of homebrew games I really like for the GP2X and have made unsolicited donations on a couple of occasions just because I felt like the game was so good that they deserved a payment even when they released it as freeware (which is almost the entire library of games for the GP2X). The Vectrex scene was really good too back in the late 90s and early 2000s and I bought quite a few of those games, all of whom had rom releases. I also own a number of 2600 homebrew games, but again they were bought before 2004 when I kind of left the scene. I've only recently got back into classic gaming.

So, I'm not trying to pick an argument, but I just don't see any kind of moral high ground that is so often claimed by some of these people. They have no problem ripping off other people's work, art, game-play etc, but become infuriated if someone dumps the rom. It's also a major inconvenience for purchasers who might want to play a quick game on the PC or android device without hooking up the system to a TV just to play for 10 or 15 minutes.

Nope. You're not naming what publisher and what titles you find so offensive. That's constructive to no one. It's like pissing in the wind. People may notice you're angry enough to soil yourself but it doesn't lend credibility to your argument. You're literally being negative for negativity's sake. That's trolling friend. How about constructive criticism instead?

• Like 3

Nope. You're not naming what publisher and what titles you find so offensive. That's constructive to no one. It's like pissing in the wind. People may notice you're angry enough to soil yourself but it doesn't lend credibility to your argument. You're literally being negative for negativity's sake. That's trolling friend. How about constructive criticism instead?

I think my criticism is constructive. What else is there to say? I think it's hypocritical and that is all I have to say about it. Why in the world would I troll on my primary account (only account really)? I'm not "offended" by it, I just think it's hypocritical. If you really want a specific example, I'll go with Mario Bros for the Colecovision.

Mario Brothers was released as a free rom on the Atarimax SD for CV.

No, it was bundled with it. In any event, I've not been able to find it. It's not that big of a deal, it was just my point about not having the moral high ground and being hypocritical about it.

While searching for some roms, I cam across some very old threads where people were outraged that someone would ask for a rom of a homebrew and that was the sort of thing I was referring to. People were saying that getting the rom and not paying for it was "stealing" while COMPLETELY ignoring the IP/Trademarks of the original game's copyright/trademark holders. I don't believe either is stealing and I don't think that either has a moral high ground.

I also don't want to see the homebrew scene dry up.

Oooohh… never you worry your head about that! See the latest and greatest games being worked on? I for one am saving up my clams for a $75 CIB version of Tic-Tac-Toe! Demand might be so high, probably end up costing more and some here would be happy to pay it!! :rolling:

• Like 4