IGNORED

Elansar & Yopaz IceStar, 2 new games available for Jaguar CD !

Orion_

I totally forgot about that :) lol

Agreed!

Heh... yeah, it's such a simple thing... but they throw in a couple of little things now and then, like a sticker, the fireball candy, even a glossy card... it just makes it seem like I get more for my money, even though it's so simple... attention to detail! :)

Received both games today and people will be glad to hear that he's still sending the Fireball candies with orders. :)

BTW: Elansar did not come with any wrapper at all - is that normal? Looks like by the pics on the other page, should have been shrink-wrapped. Philia came nice and shrinked though.

Neither of mine were wrapped.

Anyone else's discs not working properly? In Elansar, the game temporarily freezes during the opening scene where the camera is panning across the view of the island. No big since a few seconds later it jumps to another spot and continues. The game plays normally afterward (from what I can tell for as far as I've gotten). Yopaz Icestar flashes a quick, thin horizontal line across the lower part of the screen when it's first loading then stays dark. No music, picture, anything. Buttons don't do anything either. I tried to wait it out as maybe I was impatient but after 20 minutes of my CD unit spinning, I cut it off and tried several more times. Nada.

Don't think it's the CD unit as I'd just exchanged the old(er) one with the one I received today and switched back a few times to troubleshoot that as a possibility. Could the discs have been subjected to heat or something on the voyage over? What would cause this?

The Cinepak animation in the beginning of Elansar freezes momentarily on my system too. Figured it was supposed to stop as it was loading the game program. I don't remember it beginning again at a different view of the island. Think I hit a button and the game began...

Mine wasnt wrapped, and I also experienced the temporary freeze during the intro also, my jag cd is pretty much brand new.

The rest of the game works flawlessly and is very fun. I'm happy with my purchase. I haven't played all the way through but so far the rest of the game performs well.

Only change I made was to put it in a brand new black DVD case. (Never a fan of the clear ones)

+1 on the fireball also lol ;)

I had problems whit philia freezing too but when I cleaned the laser head it stopped freezing! So in my case it was a dirty laser! I cleaned it with microfiber cloth and a dust blower!

Philia works perfect for me, (we were refering to Elansar's intro.)

Glad you got your CD cleaned up and performing well though :)

It seems like a lots of people are getting this problem with Yopaz.
Unfortunately my Jaguar is not working for the moment so I can't test on my side.
I'm trying to get a new Jaguar as fast as possible so I can test a Yopaz CD that is working, then I will send you a new one.
I'm really sorry about this problem, the Jaguar CD seems really sensitive and not as reliable as a cartridge game.

The problem is really strange because, the Jaguar CD bios is doing a data checking of the CD at boot, and only boot if the data are correct.

So if you get past the JagCD boot animation, then it means that the data on the CD are correct and readable.

So I really don't understand why the game won't start because it was working fine on my Jaguar...

Unlike the cartridge boot code, the CD boot selects a block of data randomly on the CD and checks it; it doesn't check the whole CD because it would take much too long. So it's possible for the CD to be partially unreadable/corrupted and still pass the boot check if you're (un)lucky. If you're using Reboot's ULS, I think it's "worse" and the data is not checked at all, only the loader code is (CJ and others can correct me if I'm wrong).

So, maybe there is a problem with the CDs.

Maybe there is some code in Yopaz that crashes on some Jaguars or depending on uninitialized memory.

Or maybe it's the usual "JagCD voodoo curse" as usual :P

• Like 2

Unlike the cartridge boot code, the CD boot selects a block of data randomly on the CD and checks it; it doesn't check the whole CD because it would take much too long. So it's possible for the CD to be partially unreadable/corrupted and still pass the boot check if you're (un)lucky. If you're using Reboot's ULS, I think it's "worse" and the data is not checked at all, only the loader code is (CJ and others can correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe there is some code in Yopaz that crashes on some Jaguars or depending on uninitialized memory.

It's an interesting topic.

First of all, ULS CDs are, obviously, incredibly small in terms of CD capacity. Their job is to deliver a single BJL-style payload and their job is complete. The hashcheck is performed as normal with any Jaguar CD on the data session, but with ULS it is common to all by the nature of how it works. ULS does its thing by modifying the audio track with your actual game data and is therefore never error- or hash-checked, that's how it circumvents the need to burn and hash coasters. But the binary you feed ULS or JiFFI is very small and the chances of a problem are tiny. If/when cj makes ULS 2 it'll offer much more than a single 2mb slot in the audio track, the possibilities are vast. Getting the 2mb worth of data into your Jaguzr is fairly trivial. There's only one seek to the track and it's done. With a much larger game that contains Cinepak or other video and multiple tracks or data areas, obviously the potential for promlems increases.

So OK, back on topic. As for the other issues mentioned in this thread, I'm not sure as I don't know if the games are supplied on replicated/pressed media, but that could be a factor. We all know CD-R burns of anything can be problematic, the Jaguar CD was never intended to work with anything but correctly formatted pressed media. Wherever it is in the whole act of reading data from a disc into the Jaguar, there's something that isn't quite happy with recordable media. Now, it seems reasonnable enough to assume that once the hash check is passed, you should be good to go. But consider what it is that prevents that hash-check from passing in the first place when using recordable media. There's likely some timings or straight-up problems reading the disc that give such unpredictable results. The fact that running a pressed clone of a CD-R master is always, always way more reliable than the CD-R master itself leads me to believe it's the burned disc's nature that the old Jaguar CD mechanism is somewhat incompatible with.

Having said all that (lol) if everyone seems to be having issues with the same game in the same place, it's going to lean towards either a problem with the master disc or a problem in manufacture (but I'd assume the manufacturer would error check the final result vs their image before shipping out to a customer, but again here it might be a problem only affecting a number of the discs), or something weird like a timing bug that only manifests when the media is pressed and not the more difficult/slower to seek recordable media?

One thing I do know - all Jaguar CD units are not created equal. I think at times whe I've had 4 or 5 set up for testing, different units prefer different media at different times. You wouldn't have such ardent proponents of the amazingly reliable Jaguar CD unit that gets such an unfair go of things if there wasn't an equal or inverse number of poor owners who are all too familiar with the hated (?) of doom...

• Like 4

the thing is, both Elansar and Yopaz are Burned CD-R, from the same factory, with the same CD-R disc.

Elansar is working, Yopaz is not... (except on my JagCD) so I'm a bit confused here.

So away from the media then, could possibly be a NTSC/60 thing? All these guys with an issue seem to be based in the US. Can do some testing of images here if you like (and sorry I've not been around for testing over the previous months).

Yep, the BIOS only checks the verification track. The rest of the disk can be utter junk.

• Like 2