IGNORED

Replacement Atari 2600 Joystick Controller Cables?

phuzzed

I have a ton of Atari 2600 joysticks that need new controller cables. I looked at Best Electronics, and they no longer sell the normal stock cable, and they do have a third party cable, but are limited two per customer. Has anyone else out there found a reliable and preferably cheap replacement cable? Maybe a universal one that works on Atari and Sega joysticks?

Any info appreciated...

how about these 10ft cables:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Designed-High-Quality-High-Value-Serial-DB-9-Staright-F-F-Molded-Cable-/301022837973

I think they should fit in the port. Cut one in half and you have 2 cables. Can maybe even find them cheaper.

even cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-D-SUB-9-Pin-DB9-Female-Solder-Type-Socket-Connector-/330943108138

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-D-SUB-Hood-Cover-for-9-Pin-Plastic-DB9-Brand-New-/140955648667

then get a spool of 9 conductor cable (I think 6 wires are only connected so probably only need 6 conductor cable).

Edited by mickcris

Standard dsub connectors don't fit heavy sixers and 7800 consoles (which have recessed controller ports), and they are also problematic on the other models.

There are modular 9-pin connectors which would look nice and fit the consoles, altough they're a bit pricey IMO. They're discussed in this thread
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/135507-9-pin-connectors-still-in-production/?do=findComment&comment=1633229

Personally, I remove the metal part of a dsub connector and I solder the plastic part to a small piece of stripboard. A bit of hotglue and a shrinking tube and I have a connector which will fit all consoles.
post-10599-0-96747100-1407138681_thumb.jpg
It surely doesn't look very professional, but it works and it's cheap!

I posted more pictures in the videopac.nl forum, if you are interested:
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2330.0

Edited by alex_79

• 1 year later...

I have a ton of Atari 2600 joysticks that need new controller cables. I looked at Best Electronics, and they no longer sell the normal stock cable, and they do have a third party cable, but are limited two per customer. Has anyone else out there found a reliable and preferably cheap replacement cable? Maybe a universal one that works on Atari and Sega joysticks?

Any info appreciated...

You ever find the controller cables you needed yet?

• 3 years later...

I bought two of these extension cables last year. They're somewhat cheap, but there's a long shipping time. I think it was about 3 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Pin-1-8M-6FT-Extension-Cable-Cord-For-Sega-Genesis-2-Controllers-Handle-Grip-/122740102001

They are not high quality, but they work fine. I use them as an easy way to swap joysticks without re-plugging into the back of the 2600.

Genesis extension cables are plentiful and cheap, but stay away.

Stay away from these Retro-bit and the other China made Genesis extension cables. They are usually sold under the Retro Bit brand name, but the same ones are sold under a few different brand names, or generic with no brand name. They are such low quality, I would only use them as extension cables. That way if/when they break, you can just throw them away. Those extension cables are very cheaply made, and the connectors on both ends often break with limited usage. You don't want to solder in a new cable, and have the connector break later on.

Your best bet is to buy some broken Genesis controllers on ebay and use them to get the cables. Often you get can a bunch of untested Genesis controllers for $3-$5 each (including shipping), which is usually cheaper than the extension cables. You can even get the 3rd party Genesis controllers for even cheaper if you feel bad about cutting up a Genesis controller. Just remember to get a 3rd party Genesis controller from back in the 80s/90s. New 3rd party Genesis controllers are just as cheap as Retro Bit extension cables, so you may as well just buy the extension cables at that point.

Each manufacturer uses different colors for the different wires, so if you are replacing an Atari 2600 controller, don't assume the colors of the wires are the same color on the new cable.

Don't buy this item pictured below. It is just a Retro-bit extension cable with one of the ends cut off. I told you not to buy the Retro Bit extension cable, but if you choose to buy it, don't pay 2 or 3 times as much from this seller who just took the extension cable and stripper the wires on one end. You can strip your own wires for free.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 1

I bought two of these extension cables last year. They're somewhat cheap, but there's a long shipping time. I think it was about 3 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Pin-1-8M-6FT-Extension-Cable-Cord-For-Sega-Genesis-2-Controllers-Handle-Grip-/122740102001

They are not high quality, but they work fine. I use them as an easy way to swap joysticks without re-plugging into the back of the 2600

For like a dollar more you can get the same ones from a US seller with regular shipping time. For me it's worth the dollar to actually get the item, rather than wait months and it never shows up, and you get a refund, then you have to order it from someone else.

They are usually sold under the Retro Bit brand name, but the same ones are sold under a few different brand names.

I use them for the same thing to easily swap joystick out of my consoles. Sometimes they break, but they are so cheap I just throw them out and don't care.

I bought some of the newer cables from Bests around 3-4 months ago. They are thicker as they have all 9 pins cabled (rather than the 6 in the original) but they are very solid and still have the Atari logo.

I have a supply of the 6 conductor cables, none have ever been used

post-2131-0-73666100-1549416958.jpg

I bought some of the newer cables from Bests around 3-4 months ago. They are thicker as they have all 9 pins cabled (rather than the 6 in the original) but they are very solid and still have the Atari logo.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...