IGNORED

Wico joystick a worthy alternative?

Noah98

I'm thinking of trying to acquire a Wico joystick with Y adapter. It looks like the keypads are really hard to find, but the joysticks show up every now and then. Is this worth investing in, or should I just be content with the original controllers? How well does the Wico perform on digital input style games?

I actually don't mind getting used to the original controllers. I have two that actually work (for now). I'm more worried about durability. What is the cheapest price for a complete rebuild kit (gold dot + upgraded flex circuit)? Is Best Electronics the only option?

Wico and Y adapter is a very viable alternative to the factory controller, Its my setup of choice!

For digital controlling I use a Masterplay 5200 joystick adapter with several different sticks.

I'd love to get a Masterplay so that I could use my Genesis arcade stick but they are really expensive now that they are no longer being made.

Is the Wico bad for digital games?

I wouldn't say bad but I prefer a different stick for digital, I guess its just a "feeling" thing.

I sold a spare boxed masterplay awhile ago and I was surprised at how high the price went, At least double what I paid for it. If your patient and watch closely they do pop up on EBay, On one occasion I got one in a 5200 lot that went really cheap because it wasn't listed in the title but in the pictures.

I have to say they are very cool to use!

Edited by Hyperboy

I'm thinking of trying to acquire a Wico joystick with Y adapter. It looks like the keypads are really hard to find, but the joysticks show up every now and then. Is this worth investing in, or should I just be content with the original controllers? How well does the Wico perform on digital input style games?

I actually don't mind getting used to the original controllers. I have two that actually work (for now). I'm more worried about durability. What is the cheapest price for a complete rebuild kit (gold dot + upgraded flex circuit)? Is Best Electronics the only option?

The Wico stick is better at being a "digital like" stick than it is at being an analog stick. This is because the analog pots used in them are small and have a tight throw. You can move the levers on the bottom and the stick free floats, non-centering for game like Missile Command. Don't get me wrong. It is still a good analog controller, but the small pots give you some centering issues. They have slider adjustments to help compensate but all I have ever used, they are set all the way to the left.... I have a couple Masterplays but I prefer the Wico for it's "digital like" feel vs using my Masterplays. These days anyway. I used to not like the Wico stick at all. I've gotten used to the butt plug looking stick. ;-p

For your stock controllers, you on;y need a $9 flex circuit from ebay, a sheet of aluminum foil and a hole punch. Install the new flex and super glue aluminum dots to all the carbon dot on the rubber buttons.

The Wico stick is better at being a "digital like" stick than it is at being an analog stick. This is because the analog pots used in them are small and have a tight throw. You can move the levers on the bottom and the stick free floats, non-centering for game like Missile Command. Don't get me wrong. It is still a good analog controller, but the small pots give you some centering issues. They have slider adjustments to help compensate but all I have ever used, they are set all the way to the left.

I have two 5200 Wicos along with one Keypad, all are great quality. I love the way the Wico can be adjusted on the fly (easier then taking a stock controller apart) and also the selection of centering or non centering capability of the stick. Certain games actually work well without the springs, nice to have that choice.

Edited by CRTGAMER

I have two 5200 Wicos along with one Keypad, all are great quality. I love the way the Wico can be adjusted on the fly (easier then taking a stock controller apart) and also the selection of centering or non centering capability of the stick. Certain games actually work well without the springs, nice to have that choice.

No argument here. Wico stuff is always good quality. The buttons are actually leaf switches, just like they made for arcade machines. :thumbsup:

I have a Wico stick and keypad. They both work pretty good if you can get used to a butt plug shaped stick with a long throw. As stated above they can have centering issues, but otherwise work pretty good. The keypad is also nice but the overlays don't work well with them.

Honestly, you will only need a Wico for some games. You can use a digital stick for most. Get a 5200 Coin Controls digital stick with cherry switches if you can find one.

I can't imagine wanting to play Missile Command, Centipede, etc. with anything else other than an Atari 5200 Trak Ball. ;)

The Wico is a relief if the 5200 controllers are causing you a pain, but the Wico isn't the greatest controller in the world either. It takes quite a while to get the thing calibrated, and it's not the most tactile thing in the world, but it makes many games a lot more playable.

But yeah, totally agree about Missile Command and the trackball. I don't have a trackball, but man, trying to play that game with either the 5200 joystick or the Wico is just impossible...move the stick a hair, and the cursor goes about eighty feet...

I have a Wico stick and keypad. They both work pretty good if you can get used to a butt plug shaped stick with a long throw.

That's the thing about them that took me a long time to get used to. The long throw, but yet the pots inside are small and give the same analog values as the stock ones, in a much smaller space of movement. Thus the centering issues. I have most of mine set just right.. but that is because I'm a huge nerd about keeping my 5200 pokey adjustment just right.

The Trakball is a must for anyone with a 5200. It is fantastically big, and just a nice collection piece in addition to being great with Missile Command, Centipede, and Tempest.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I'm probably just venting here - but, has anybody here ever successfully played Centipede for the 5200 with a Wico joystick?  I just sold one to someone and he's claiming it defective because it doesn't work right in Centipede (the only game he plays).  Lot's of questions here - like - Why a Wico for the only game you play that is Centipede? If it's the only game you play, I would think you would have discovered the ... Trackball!!! by now? I don't have a manual handy for Centipede, but don't they recommend the Trackball right in there?  Thank you.  I feel a little better now.  I think?

I have 3 wico controllers and 1 of the keypad controllers. While I really like the keypad controller, I'm honestly NOT a fan of the Wico controller. I always have centering issues with mine and 2 of them are broken internally from the plastic locks no longer engaging. As a result on one if just flops around left and right and the other flops around up and down. I have one that works well but they just seem really fragile to me. I only play using an original controller or with my redemption adapter and a Genesis controller.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:15 AM, jatari87 said:

I'm probably just venting here - but, has anybody here ever successfully played Centipede for the 5200 with a Wico joystick?  I just sold one to someone and he's claiming it defective because it doesn't work right in Centipede (the only game he plays).  Lot's of questions here - like - Why a Wico for the only game you play that is Centipede? If it's the only game you play, I would think you would have discovered the ... Trackball!!! by now? I don't have a manual handy for Centipede, but don't they recommend the Trackball right in there?  Thank you.  I feel a little better now.  I think?

The Wico works fine with Centipede (if not as well as with a TrakBall admittedly!)  Is his controller seeming to "pull" in one direction?  If so, that's probably something that needs adjusted in the console itself.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:56 AM, DamonicFury said:

The Wico works fine with Centipede (if not as well as with a TrakBall admittedly!)  Is his controller seeming to "pull" in one direction?  If so, that's probably something that needs adjusted in the console itself.

Yeah,sounds like Pokey needs to be adjusted.

Thanks.  I didn't even think to suggest it might be his console.  Though he seemed determined to return it, and God forbid I provoke a negative feedback by suggesting my as described item was as described.  I'll have to give Centipede a try with it to see how I enjoy.  I'll try to report back on it soon, but I'm confident it will be fine.