IGNORED

CA2001 G5 Error indication

576XE

• 2 weeks later...

if the pulling strip is not broken and only kinked it can be straightened and re-attached..... block the head so it won't snap off the track zero sensor tab and re-attach to spring tab at front of head bracket I see it in the photo and it is still there... if you do not loosen any screws and do a careful job it may not need to be re-align at all since it's on the spring side of things...

failing that any flexible metal strip can be substituted but needs to be properly sized and then would require alignment...once aligned lock tite is our friend.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hello, friends.

I read Tandon TM-50 Service manual and "pulling strip" officially named there as stepper band. :grin:

It's too pity but the screw hole from the spring side(dual band side) of stepper band is fully broken.

Tandon say nothing about any special alignment of band but superimposition central screw hole with stepper motor shaft hole.

It seems that any alignment actually defined by precise distance between all three stepper band screw holes and precise diameter of motor shaft which defines actual magnetic head moving range. Needed band tension defined by spring from one side of band.

Anyway stepper motor has not central position and all alignment may be controlled electronically.

Tandon became Oracle for me saying:

"TIGHTRNING THE SCREW TOO TIGHT WILL BEND THE STEPPER BAND, CAUSING IT TO NEED REPLACING!"

How do you like it?

Sorry, sorry, sorry!

Looking at a picture of stepper band in service manual I found (suddenly?) that no one of both side holes are actually screw hole.

There are no screws but central. The band fixed on plastic magnetic head frame by little pins only.

One placed on plastic magnetic head frame and one on little metal spring plate.

Thus Tandon is not Oracle if it has any significance.

as I look at the pictures.... the strip(band) looks un-broken just kinked... the very end that attaches to the spring tensioner might be broken... need better pictures.... you could take band off and carefully drill small hole on broken end and put it back on.. I have done this for a friends 1050 and it worked... he broke his by pulling back on the head real hard showing how the spring compressed(why he thought that was so neat I will never know..... so we took it off drilled a new hole just big enough to put it back on the spring tension hook.. some old school alignment marks and adjustment later and back in business... only cost was patience and time....

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hellow, _The Doctor__

Thank you for being in touch.

:)

The hole on double banded side is broaken apart.

Really there are only half of the hole.

And a little stripe between the hepothetical hole and the pulling stripe has no any sugnifficanse.

it's only 1 millimeter.

We can understand that this part may be replaced by only string, but it seems that I need a new device at all.

Try to find the manufacturer of the mechanism. I suspect it is a Chinon, but it could be Tandon.

Find a compatible mech for cheap, replace and install the part. Move the stepper motor one way or the other when you have a known good disk in it, and run the RPM test on it. Move it one way, then the other, and find the halfway point where it always reads perfectly... That should get you close to alignment.

The mechanism is from Roctec. It is quite different from Tandon one (no belt, RPM control build-in).

I see two options here (both seem hard):
1. Get a similar band from any 5,25 mechanism and try to fit (some time ago I fixed a drive this way). This requires a lot of alignment.

2. Get an old PC 360k mechanism (with adjustable RPM) and fit it into the drive. Such procedure for 1050 is described here (in Polish).

God! I allways knew that the Atariens is the greatest persons at all!

At first, this thing named stepper thus let's go step by step, right?

First question: How can I recognize TANDON or CHINON?

Best wishes from Moscow.

By the way, do you see that russia's HW makers are all dead now?

It means that they are not atariens but only money makers.

It's good idea. And personallyI hate it!

2 trub

Direct drive mech? It sounds like ferrary.

I don't want to alive the corps.

Here it's no time and no way.

Just imagine that the weight of mech can be compared with all device.

And if it's so, thus I'll bye new CA-2001.

And from Poland of course ;) .

Thank you for reply.

You are known person here. :)