IGNORED

Favourite "form factor" videogame console...

WozzyCat

My all-time fave-looking console is the 5200. It gets a lot of ribbing, but it still looks like a "next gen" console to me.

Next best is the TG-16. Low profile, neat and clean. It loses points by requiring an adapter for multiplayer, though.

My third favorite is the original PS2. Solid, unpretentious, classy.

• Like 2

It'd be hard to pick one favorite for me. The 2600 does fit the timeframe in which it was released, you can imagine it sitting next to a giant late 70s Zenith console TV. The NES and SNES I don't think look that great, I remember thinking how sleek the Super Famicom was, then being disappointed when mock ups of the SNES were released. I would have to put the Gamecube at the top of my list for sure, Dreamcast would be up there as well as the original Wii. The Jag is nice and sleek, but feels cheap, the front ports look cheap, there's no dust flap and the back screams "cost cutting"

It'd be hard to pick one favorite for me. The 2600 does fit the timeframe in which it was released, you can imagine it sitting next to a giant late 70s Zenith console TV. The NES and SNES I don't think look that great, I remember thinking how sleek the Super Famicom was, then being disappointed when mock ups of the SNES were released. I would have to put the Gamecube at the top of my list for sure, Dreamcast would be up there as well as the original Wii. The Jag is nice and sleek, but feels cheap, the front ports look cheap, there's no dust flap and the back screams "cost cutting"

Heh heh, yeah, the back side of the Jaguar does scream cost cutting, unfortunately. Come to think of it, I try to avoid looking at the backside of my Jaguar whenever possible.

But the front/sides/top (sans any attachments) looks real good. :-) Sleek, aggressive, low slung, aerodynamic....cool logo & name.

The backside of the Jag could have looked cool too though, had they just put the proper expansion ports on it, instead of the circuit board's edge card connectors thrusting out of it. So close, yet so far. Poor Atari Corp. circa 1990's.

• Like 1

Wii. It's as big as it needs to be without extra wasted casing, and it's flat and a front loader so you can stack it on things. The rounded consoles (like the PS3 original model) are a pain.

Yeah, my PS3 (slim) is sorta frustrating, and I have mine standing vertically with Sony's official PS3 vertical stand thingy. I do appreciate it being black colored plastic though...black plastic tends to not discolor over time due to UV rays (sun/flourescent lights/humidity/etc.etc.)

I have a dislike of plastic console/computer cases which are white/beige/light colored....only because a number of my awesome classic 1970's/1980's computers have gone all yellow and in some cases mustard brown on me, even though I have gone to great lengths to keep them out of sunlight, UV exposure, and humidity exposure.

My 1978/1979 black colored Apple ][ Plus (Bell & Howell badged edition) looks perfect though, no discoloration noticable.

My 1982 white plastic TRS-80 CoCo 2 looks like a dog came by and took a nasty leak all over it, as does my 1983 beige case Apple //e.

Just looking at my TRS-80 CoCo 1 (original grey case color)....still looks awesome...which confirms my dislike of white/beige/light colored computer & console cases which are plastic.

Even my Super Nintendo console was starting to discolor itself....eventually traded it for a nice black ColecoVision system.

atari vcs- 6 switch woody - switches and wood grain - prefer the warm wood color compared to the sears version

Atari 2600 black 'vader' - shiny

genesis model 2 - i respect the model 1 - but i think it looks too busy- prefer the minimalism of the model 2

nes - designed to disguise the fact it's a game console

I'd have to go with:

1. Wii Mini - I love the simple red & black design with the matte finish. It has a very small footprint and looks great in my living room.

2. Jaguar - With or without the CD add-on, it's still one of the coolest console designs ever. Maybe I just have a thing for red & black.

3. PC Engine Shuttle - This is one I don't have but I'd love to get someday. I think it'd look incredible sitting next to the Jag as they have similar profiles.

4. Xavix Port - Crappy little game system, but when it comes to form factor I adore it. I'd have to say it has my favorite cartridge loading mechanism ever. It's so strange I can't help but love it.

• Like 1

Lynx II for sure. Logo and machine design all sync'd up in one handsome package.

Jaguar/7800 a close 2nd. I always thought the original Master System was mysterious and technical looking, especially with the diagram on the front.

Playstations have been looking much better than XBoxes but the Wii is the standout winner in more contemporary consoles.

I love the Jaguar style. I like the cd unit also, but more from a "looking down on it angle", from directly front on it looks like a toilet lol. The Jag itself is a clean smooth design however.

I also like the Camo color options available on the Neo Geo pocket color.

Dreamcast and wood grain 2600 would be my other choices :)

I have a white new model ps3 also which looks clean, but the design is nothing too special.

The white ps4 on the way looks GREAT however. Will be turning my black ps4 in for that, will look nice next to my white Vita and Ps3 :)

**Honorable mention goes to the Star Wars 360, never owned but always liked it!!

Edited by JaguarBrett

genesis model 2 - i respect the model 1 - but i think it looks too busy- prefer the minimalism of the model 2

Agree wholeheartedly. The Gen 2 is super clean. Too bad finding one with a decent sounds chip AND video chip is like a 1 in 50 chance...

1. Wii Mini - I love the simple red & black design with the matte finish. It has a very small footprint and looks great in my living room.

I'm glad someone mentioned this because I almost did. Imported one of these from Canada before they were brought to the US. Super pretty and the next NES Toploader from a collectors standpoint.

I always thought the original Master System was mysterious and technical looking, especially with the diagram on the front.

Agree, almost mentioned this as well. All the lines, shapes and diagrams on the console make it look like a piece of military industrial hardware, or medical equipment. Its pretty boss and I've been thinking about getting one for a while now..