IGNORED

Season 12 Round 3 - Spelunker

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 3 of the 12th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

The first 9 games have been pre-selected and entered into a random list generator. So you guys know the games, but not the order.

This round ends on Sunday, August 24th.

Title: Spelunker
Developer: Brøderbund / Irem
Publisher: Nintendo
Released: September, 1987 (US)

http://youtu.be/qluQqCthL44

Rules:

None.

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1. darthkur 40

2. asponge 25

3. DonPedro 24

4. Mangia-Boy 23
5(t). roadrunner 22
5(t). Ashkin2002 22

7. Lid 18

8. S.BAZ 10
9. LarcenTyler 8
10. Jibbajaba 4
11. jblenkle 2

Been playing for a while this morning. Best I've got so far is 18,500. This game is very unforgiving, but I think that with some practice, one can get much better at it.

EDIT: Best I got was 40,640.

Edited by Jibbajaba

I have to say that I've never heard of this game. Despite being exactly the right age to LOVE the NES, I'm not really that big a fan. However what surprised me was the (now) obvious similarity to the recent Spelunky. Everything old is new again.

The game is more famous as an Atari 8-bit release. I think it largely flew under the radar on the NES. I am also just the right age that I was 10-12 when the NES' popularity was at its zenith, and I'm not sure that I had heard of the game back then.

• Like 1

Wow. To say that this game is unforgiving is charitable. The character movement feels very unnatural to me. Although the gameplay, even with the quirky difficulty, is oddly attractive. This one is going to require some practice.

post-27362-0-63947200-1407471135_thumb.png

I pulled down the manual for this game, but it wasn't much help. Does anyone have any tips on killing the ghost? I did it once without dieing, but every other time the thing kills me even when I'm using the "phantom blaster". I haven't figured out the trick yet.

Does anyone have any tips on killing the ghost?

Never mind. I figured it out. For some reason I thought you had to hit the ghost with the blaster like it's a wand or something. In reality you just shoot it at the ghost and it will disintegrate even though you can't see any projectile.
  • Like 1

pretty tough. I'm kinda stumped, not finding the 3rd key. these bombs must be for something though...

thanks asponge, I hadn't figured that out yet either :)

post-34560-0-51207100-1408045594_thumb.jpg

1 hour later...

being able to kill the ghost makes a big difference. I was stumped because I thought it killed you to walk on that moving wavy pit. finally I noticed you can just walk & hop across it to get to another key.

.. so now I made it to the 2nd level :-D

post-34560-0-21403700-1408049086_thumb.jpg

Edited by S.BAZ

post-10357-0-86797800-1408398100_thumb.jpg

I love Spelunker but really dislike the method of jumping from a line or ladder in this version. Having to hit the direction pad and the jump button at the exact time creates far too many cheap deaths. I much prefer the C64 version where you depress the fire button then simply move the stick in the direction you desire to jump in.

I love Spelunker but really dislike the method of jumping from a line or ladder in this version. Having to hit the direction pad and the jump button at the exact time creates far too many cheap deaths. I much prefer the C64 version where you depress the fire button then simply move the stick in the direction you desire to jump in.

That's probably the #1 way that I die in this game. Too bad, because there's something about this game that makes me really like it.

• 2 weeks later...

S.BAZ 250,050 +25
darthkur 57,160 +18
Jibbajaba 40,640 +15
asponge 23,500 +12
DonPedro 22,100 +10
Lid 20,700 +8
Mangia-Boy 10,000 +6
roadrunner 7,700 +4

Current standings:

1. darthkur 58
2. asponge 37