IGNORED

2600 Games You Want On the ColecoVision

VectorGamer

I do agree megamania would be cool but I would say that Threshold is very close to the same game play.

I love Threshold also, but Megamania, IMO, has sharper graphics, and a bigger playing field.

Threshold has that side area with the power and the heat graphs, and makes the playing field smaller.

Here's an idea: Combine Pressure Cooker and Cake Walk into a single game (gameplay alternates between the two screens, for added variety) and add Piece o'Cake as an occasional bonus level. That ought to fill up a 32K ColecoVision cart real quick. It could be called "Pressure Cooker - The Cakewalk Edition". :D

• Like 1

Here's another game that I occasionally ponder about: Math Gran Prix.

The Atari 2600 game was obviously designed to teach kids about math, and as such, it's pretty basic (and rather bland) edutainment. But a ColecoVision version could not only make good use of the keypad, it could also go a step or two further in terms of gameplay design: Different "race tracks", math problems that are speed-based (so even adults can find a good challenge), additional player-versus-player mini-games, special goals/achievements completed by a player for extra points as he/she moves along the track, etc.

I can think up lots of nice ideas to make the game more fun, like perhaps throw in some elements inspired by Monopoly or other board games. And the game could be customized by toggling these extra gameplay options on or off, so kids can experience the game at their level, while teenagers and adults can play a more "evolved" game.

Hey, I'm on a roll today! How about Secret Quest, but remade into something that resembles Smash TV or Gauntlet? The Atari 2600 game only displays one enemy at a time because of technical constraints, but a ColecoVision version could display multiple enemies on the screen at once, as well as offer lots of gameplay improvements. Add some pretty futuristic graphics and you've got a homebrew hit! :)

Alright, one last post for today, and I submit to you: Bank Heist.

The original Atari 2600 version of Bank Heist actually offers some interesting gameplay ideas, but the technical limitations of the console keep it from being all it could be.

For the ColecoVision version, what I would do is have the banks in stationary locations within the city (as part of the "walls" of the maze) and the player would drop off crooks at these banks (by driving the car in front of the bank and pressing a fire button). Once the crooks have done their dirty deed, they would come out and wait for the player in front of the bank, and the player would have to go pick them up before the police arrive on the scene to arrest them. So while you're evading the police (and blowing up police cars as well as police road blocks with dynamite) you have to manage your two or three teams of bank robbers. The city would be set up as a set of interconnected screens (similar to Pepper II) and the status bar on the side of the screen would show what's happening in the four city quadrant, as well as the score, number of remaining getaway cars and the gas tank indicator.

I don't know about you, but it sounds like a winner to me, assuming that the police AI is coded in such a way that the game is neither too easy nor too difficult. :)

I'd like to see a version of crazy climber

That's an arcade game as well, but one that I would love to see on the CV using two hand controllers with a controller mount like Atari made for the 5200/Space Dungeon or the easier route of using the Roller Controller as the base.

From Imagic, i LOVE Atlantis.

Back in time, i spent hour to play the Atari 2600 version on my coleco with 2600 adapter. Frustated that it was not so nice than the Intv version that my friend had.

Atlantis has been ported to 2600 , Intv, Vic20 , atari 8bit and even Odyssey 2 ... but never on coleco as fat i know :(

Starmaster with the ability to battle two enemy ships simultaneously plus a reworked star field;

Yar's Revenge with upgraded graphics for the Enemy, Energy, and Destroyer Missiles and the Neutral Zone;

Demon Attack with an added Mothership screen similar to the Phoenix Mothership before cycling back;

Dragonfire with a third screen where you enter a Venture-like dungeon under the castle, kill off the monsters, retrieve the treasure, then cycle back.